Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking I'd like to install a permanent connection to the terminals on the vehicle battery that will provide access from outside the seat pedestal for the purposes of a) connecting a NOCO Genius 5 amp charger/maintainer for general health of the battery and b) connecting a NOCO Boost XL GB50 to jump start the vehicle when I've failed to maintain its good health. This cable is the one that NOCO has that will service both functions. This configuration would allow me to use the charger and jump starter for other applications.

Does this seem a reasonable strategy and decent products to use? I was hoping to find a good solar battery charger but most didn't provide sufficient wattage, particularly during the winter months.

The eyelets on that battery cable I mentioned are M6 (1/4 inch). Does anyone know offhand whether this will work on the smaller posts that are on the battery connector terminals? I can't seem to find a reference to the size of those and don't want to have to take the driver's seat off to find out.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
368 Posts
It’s pretty easy to access the under hood jump and charge points. The charger and extension cord end can hide under the hood too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I'm thinking I'd like to install a permanent connection to the terminals on the vehicle battery that will provide access from outside the seat pedestal for the purposes of a) connecting a NOCO Genius 5 amp charger/maintainer for general health of the battery and b) connecting a NOCO Boost XL GB50 to jump start the vehicle when I've failed to maintain its good health. This cable is the one that NOCO has that will service both functions. This configuration would allow me to use the charger and jump starter for other applications.

Does this seem a reasonable strategy and decent products to use? I was hoping to find a good solar battery charger but most didn't provide sufficient wattage, particularly during the winter months.

The eyelets on that battery cable I mentioned are M6 (1/4 inch). Does anyone know offhand whether this will work on the smaller posts that are on the battery connector terminals? I can't seem to find a reference to the size of those and don't want to have to take the driver's seat off to find out.

Many thanks.
Not sure what that 1500A peak rating on that jump starter means in terms of connecting to the 60A CCP (i.e what can the dead vehicle battery draw?). At the very least you might want a 50A breaker to protect the difficult to change fuse for the CCP that is under the seat. Alternatively, you might want to think about circumventing the CCP and connecting that cable directly to the battery (with the negative after the battery monitor). This would also leave you with CCP1 for other possible uses.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts

Many thanks.
That cable will work on the smaller posts. If you have house power you can always slowly recharge/restore with a $25 5A battery maintainer. It should be an exceedingly rare event, so waiting an hour or two to get the battery back up enough for one start seems reasonable.

I think the marketing on this combined set of products is 90% of what you're paying for. I bought the pricey victron 5A maintainer and wish I'd just stuck with my $20 used like new cheap maintainer I already had. But I cut the wires to permanently install the victron. It just wasn't worth the cost imo.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts

Many thanks.
That cable will work on the smaller posts. If you have house power you can always slowly recharge/restore with a $25 5A battery maintainer. It should be an exceedingly rare event, so waiting an hour or two to get the battery back up enough for one start seems reasonable.

I think the marketing on this combined set of products is 90% of what you're paying for. I bought the pricey victron 5A maintainer and wish I'd just stuck with my $20 used like new cheap maintainer. It worked fine. But I thought the victron would give me starter voltage on my phone even when 120V power is off (inverter off, which is most of the time in the winter). Nope. My old maintainer at least shows the voltage on an lcd even without 120V. But I had already cut the wires to permanently install the victron, so I'm stuck with it. It just wasn't worth the cost imo.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Transit 350 Passenger Wagon
55 Posts

Many thanks.
We've done this using this charger/maintainer.

I replaced our OEM SLA battery with an AGM and wanted to ensure it stayed over 50% AND Transits love their parasitic draws. The charger is connected to our shorepower inlet and has been working reliably since 9/2020, reliably enough in fact that we haven't had to use our portable lithium jump starter/power supply - at least, not for the van.

As mentioned by mikeehlert, the charge points under the hood are easily accessed if you need a jump. We did this a few times as our SLA battery faded and the cargo light foiled us time and time again.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Battery Tender comes with a cord with eyelets to connect to the battery on one end and a two prong plug on the other end. I permanently installed the cord so the two prong plug end is located between the driver seat base and the emergency brake handle.

Can turn on the house inverter to power the charger to charge the vehicle battery. If shore power is available, I can power the charger from shore power.

·
Registered
487 Posts
We've done this using this charger/maintainer.
I've been using the Battery Tender 5 AMP charger with their two prong plug via the underhood connection points to maintain the van's two AGM batteries between road trips for the past three years. The two prong plug makes an easy connection for an underhood rodent repellent device when in areas with packrats.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Automotive fuel system Auto part
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Gas Vehicle
Electrical wiring Cable Technology Electrical supply Wire
Motor vehicle Font Gas Metal Circle

Reactions: mikeehlert

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
I just drive it once every two weeks, That works out well because I need to go to town to buy groceries once every two weeks. About 14 miles round trip. I have been doing this for five years.

·
Registered
432 Posts

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I picked up this sucker for $30 on clearance at Costco. Duracell 4A
It even has a lithium setting. I used it to put a bit of charge on my yet to be installed lithium batteries, but cannot confirm the terminal voltage since I just put them back to about 50% (?). Interestingly, it was putting out 5A for the lithium, I suppose due to the low internal resistance. It did do a nice job of fully charging my dual AGM vehicle batteries.

I also have a cheap 1A trickle charger that has served me well over the for my smaller FLA vehicle and garden tractor batteries, but the deal on the larger one was too good to refuse.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts