Ford Transit USA Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Well, something that will change the price significantly is which thermostat/controller comes with the heater. The more expensive espar may have the digital controller where as the webasto might have the knob basic one. In any case, the price difference shouldn't be $600. The webasto and espar appear to be knock offs of each other. Who knows which came first, but they are outwardly nearly identical. Love my webasto.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I asked at a dealer that sells both and the tech said the units are about the same quality wise but webasto has a better fuel pump and filter.... Apparently

I had a webasto st2000 in my box truck that ended up flooding from a leak in my cleaning equipment.. Was fully submerged. Only had to have the circuit board cleaned and two parts replaced :)

That was a year ago too. Works great

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
765 Posts
Thanks guys. Does anyone know if the fans cycle similarly on the two? My biggest concern would be if there's any significant interior noise difference. So far both kits I've seen just have a basic round knob for selecting temperature.
JP

·
Registered
245 Posts
Thanks guys. Does anyone know if the fans cycle similarly on the two? My biggest concern would be if there's any significant interior noise difference. So far both kits I've seen just have a basic round knob for selecting temperature.
JP

JP,

Did you find out more info about this. I'm concerned with power usage as well in real world use. I will also be using the gasoline version of one of these heaters.

HH

·
Registered
765 Posts
JP,

Did you find out more info about this. I'm concerned with power usage as well in real world use. I will also be using the gasoline version of one of these heaters.

HH
No, sorry, I haven't found out anything more at this point.
JP

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
JP,

HH

They do cycle similarly. I have a friend with a diesel Sprinter that has the diesel Espar version of this heater. The heaters run in 'boost mode' until they reach temp and then cycle from basically off to 10-25% blower fan speed to maintain temp—barring large temperature shifts caused by leaving the door open for 10 minutes or something.

I have a voltage logger that I have used in tandem with a temperature logger. Power draw is pretty minimal for these heaters after the warmup / boost mode period. On a 38 degree night I went from 12.4v to 12.0v over a 14 hour period (on a 105 amp hour batter). The biggest drop was in the first 3 hours, after which power consumption was extremely minimal. Other electrical consumption was a fair bit of interior light use, USB device charging, etc.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Also, note that even the knob versions of these have a thermostat so they cycle appropriately. Also, there are additional programmable interfaces that allow scheduling, etc.

As for noise, during boost / startup the fan runs full bore and is audible similar to the dash fan turned on at medium. The most noise is external intake/exhaust noise which makes a sort of quite turbine like sound. Once the heater comes off boost mode the noise is mostly inaudible.

·
Registered
2 Posts
is there a fuel tap return line

I am new to this forum as i purchased my 2015 transit last year and received in the fall. It still has less than 1000 miles on it but i am configuring now for its purposes.

This seems to be only thread i saw dealing with fuel Lines.

I have already got the fuel tap needed on top of tank but i will also need to tap into or connect a return line. Has anybody done that or know of link or part.

My thought was to possibly just tap the neck fill tube.

There will be a 70 HP fuel injected engine mounted inside the van and the return fuel will be warm so i did not want to use the fuel filters with the third leg as it may cause vapor lock issues. I am contacting ZENITH SYSTEMS also who makes the brain box for the engine to get there insight or thoughts.

Trying to talk to dealer with anything regarding this type of results in "deer in Headlight" look. I have researched everything on own but cant seem to find return fuel line info.

I have looked thru BEMM but doesnt give detail regarding this.

I am headed to dealer right now...LOL..to see if i can get some detailed CAD or something on the fuel system.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Well, the Espar/Webasto heaters don't require a return line so can't be too much help in that regard. Just off the top of my head though, tapping the filler neck would almost certainly be a functional solution. Also, it's fairly easy to pull the complete fuel pump assembly so maybe you could tap a 3rd hole in it for your return (or pickup). The one thing with the 90 degree OEM Aux fuel port is that it doesn't extend to the bottom 40% of the tank. With that in mind, it may be better to use as the Aux fuel port as the return instead of the pickup unless you plan on running topped up all the time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thx for reply. No help at dealer regarding this. I have contacted Transfer Flow out of California to see if they have a part i could use. They want over 300 dollars for a tap system to the tank which includes a 1 1/4 inch tube about 3 inches long with a barb attached(for return) that would connect inline in the filler neck. I cant believe the price and they won't sell just that part either. No need to spend that crazy money when i have the tap already in the tank.

Looks like i am on the hunt for a similar piece to put inline of the filler neck for return.

Yeah..I generally keep tank full most of time anyway in all my trucks and would never use that much gas in a work day.

I wish these engineers would have gone the extra step..If your adding the extra tap why not think of a return for that tap.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Nice! That's nearly identical to the approach I took for install. I had the pleasure of a nice 4 post drive on lift which made the job much much easier... and a shop with lots of nuts and bolts and tools. That said I think I did the same install in 5 or 6 hours with the help of a mechanic friend. We ended up not using an adapter plate for the heater as my install location was slightly different and not as much on top of the floor indent. Just by tightening up the heater nuts I was able to deform the floor indent on that corner to be nearly flat for a good seal.

I'm guessing you plugged the heater into house power for the win, but if not I'd be curious to know where/how you connected to the van power.

Also, did you extend the AUX fuel spigot pickup in the tank? It's one thing I'm considering doing (have to drop the tank again of course) because not having fuel to the heater when the van is around 40% on the gas gauge is a bummer. It apparently doesn't extend all the way to the bottom of the tank.

Good work!

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I solved the floor rib issue by filling the depression with quality black silicone adhesive caulk. Placed the silicone gasket included with my Espar on it while wet and got it good and level.
After a 24 hour cure bolted the Espar down.

I too want to extend the fuel pickup- Ford was too conservative placing it as high as they did...mine is a diesel so the aux fuel kit included the straw. The gasoline tanks have the pickup straw already in them. Donlt know if they come out or not.
Might have to order another kit to see what the straw diameter was. The top end was sort of formed into a flare with a rubber gasket IIRC- not real easy to duplicate with simply a longer homemade replacement tube.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I think I saw a photo where somebody was able to attach a larger diameter hose over the factory fuel pickup straw. It of course requires dropping the tank low enough to pull out the whole fuel pump assembly column which is a tank height cylinder, apparently.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'm guessing you plugged the heater into house power for the win, but if not I'd be curious to know where/how you connected to the van power.

Also, did you extend the AUX fuel spigot pickup in the tank? It's one thing I'm considering doing (have to drop the tank again of course) because not having fuel to the heater when the van is around 40% on the gas gauge is a bummer. It apparently doesn't extend all the way to the bottom of the tank.

Good work!

TOOLS!
That would have help a lot on this mod :)

We tested our installation using the van power, but we will permanently connect the Webasto to the house battery.

I’m aware the OEM fuel spigot pickup does not extend to the bottom of the tank, but for now I left it as is.
How do you plan on extending it? Is the OEM one easy to remove?

·
Registered
135 Posts
TOOLS!
That would have help a lot on this mod :)

We tested our installation using the van power, but we will permanently connect the Webasto to the house battery.

I’m aware the OEM fuel spigot pickup does not extend to the bottom of the tank, but for now I left it as is.
How do you plan on extending it? Is the OEM one easy to remove?
I'm not finding the photo right now, but I'm 99% sure I saw a photo somebody posted of the solution. My recollection is that they just put a section of fuel safe hose over the existing plastic straw inside the fuel pickup assembly and then attached it to one of the fuel pickup assembly legs to get it straight down to the bottom of the tank. The other thing I was considering is looking at the internals of the aux fuel 90 degree attachment. The Webasto fuel line is so thin it struck me that maybe your could feed it through the 3/8" - 5/16" hose step up and then through the aux fuel attachment and down into the tank, all as one run from the pump.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Since the diesel has the user installed pickup, and I put one in, I can say the "straw" is very small. It can be withdrawn without pulling the fuel pump plate but IIRC you most likely could not get anything placed over it to fit through the hole, in the nipple, my guess anyway.

Note about fuel hose- I found out the hard way on another project that most fuel hose is fuel rated on the inside only. IOW submerging it in fuel either eats it or makes it very hard and brittle.
I ended up going with polyurethane fuel hose...

·
Registered
852 Posts
If this can be of any help, we just completed our Webasto installation.
All the details here:

http://faroutride.com/air-heater-installation/

Cheers
Great writeup -- thanks!

In your blog post, you mention that the noise, from fuel pump, blower, and intake/exhaust, is too much. You also say you had some ideas about fixing this. I didn't find the next promised article on your site -- did I miss it somehow? Were your ideas successful?

(I also saw that Johnnydanger had this to say. So I guess fan noise is subjective. :)
Johnnydanger said:
As for noise, during boost / startup the fan runs full bore and is audible similar to the dash fan turned on at medium. The most noise is external intake/exhaust noise which makes a sort of quite turbine like sound. Once the heater comes off boost mode the noise is mostly inaudible.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Apparently there are exhaust pipes you can get to minimize the noise outside. In any case, my wife and I don't mind the white noise and don't find it to be too loud. Even in our uninsulated cargo conversion on cold nights when it stays running to keep up with heat dissipation we don't find it disruptive.

Great writeup -- thanks!

In your blog post, you mention that the noise, from fuel pump, blower, and intake/exhaust, is too much. You also say you had some ideas about fixing this. I didn't find the next promised article on your site -- did I miss it somehow? Were your ideas successful?

(I also saw that Johnnydanger had this to say. So I guess fan noise is subjective. :)

41 - 60 of 74 Posts