Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a webasto airtop st B installed a couple months back. B model is for gas engines.

Got it done by western branch diesel. Went in smooth. They had to drop the fuel tank but otherwise an easy job.cost 2500 with everything and i got the upgraded controller.

The 2000 will turn the inside of my mid height 144 wheelbase into an oven quick. But mine is insulated

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just installed a diesel webasto and the aux hookup was easy and just as described in the manual. I ran the tank down to E and then just lowered it by hand. Left all the filler hoses and such at front of tank connected. The portion of tank you need to access is more towards rear of tank. It was tight getting on top to cut the access port but once that is done just insert the pickup tub and the 90 degree fitting snaps to it securely.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Make sure you get the correct connector from Ford

I just had the Webasto Airtop 2000 B gasoline heater installed by Interstate Power Systems in Billings, MT. Good, knowledgeable service team that I would recommend for this install if you're in the area.

It took longer than expected because the wrong connector was supplied by local Ford dealer. I ordered the part and kick myself for not checking the part # when it arrived. At first glance it looked correct. After a couple of hours trying to get it to fit and calling local Ford dealer to get correct part, we decided to drill into the tank and install the pick up tube that comes with the Webasto heater (see attached photo). On the plus side, the Webasto pick up tube is larger diameter and longer. This allows me to run the heater when there is less than 1/4 tank of fuel. It still won't run the tank empty, but it could leave less fuel than desired if I got greedy for heat.

We mounted the heater beneath the passenger seat. I like the location, only downside is I need to relocate the jack. Not a deal breaker. The thermostat is temporarily mounted at same location beneath the seat. This is nice because I can turn it on/ off and adjust it from the driver seat. The downside is the thermostat is affected by hot air coming from the vents when I'm driving. Once I finish insulating and making the walls, I will move the thermostat and it will no longer be an issue.

The heater is awesome and it heats up the cargo space of the van quite efficiently even with no insulation. Expensive addition to the ride, but well worth it.

Attachments

Reactions: Duster

·
Registered
409 Posts
I just had the Webasto Airtop 2000 B gasoline heater installed by Interstate Power Systems in Billings, MT. Good, knowledgeable service team that I would recommend for this install if you're in the area.

Mind sharing how much the system and install cost?

·
Registered
15 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
It was $1049 for parts and almost $800 for labor.
That's actually a really good price installed. Talking to one of the big local upfitters, they wanted several times that amount installed. That's also about the cheapest I've seen for the unit itself.
JP

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just installed my gas Webasto today. With the help of a knowledgable friend with tools and a 4 post lift we got it all installed in about 4 hours, followed by 2 hours of me futzing and running the wiring like I wanted. Super straightforward. We put it under the passenger seat. The right side under the passenger seat has a perfect space underneath the van for fitment -- between the box that holds the tire iron/tools, and a frame rail. Used Ford's aux fuel port 90 degree fitting so didn't have to drill the tank. The only unforeseen there was that the aux fuel fitting is for a larger diameter hose than the hose provided by webasto for its small diameter fuel line. Ended up running a larger hose for the first few inches and stepped it down to the webasto shorty hose, then into the pump. Was able to easily unclip the aux port plug and clip in the aux fuel fitting without dropping the tank more than 6" or so. Did it by feel and was easy enough.

Took 4 attempted starts to prime it and fill the line the first time, then voila. On a 35 degree evening it was up to mid-low 60s in my uninsulated cargo 250 after about an hour. If I fired it immediately after driving and heating the van it would be there in short order. Mounted the dial directly to the plastic wall cladding behind the drivers seat. Looks good. Works great.

·
Registered
135 Posts
After doing an install, I'm shocked that shops are charging over $800 for labor. It's a 6-8 hour job pretty easily. It's not rocket science and I can only guess that those shops that would charge $1000-1500 for install have either never done an install before, or are... Mercedes Benz dealers with a $130/hr shop rate? :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just installed my gas Webasto today. With the help of a knowledgable friend with tools and a 4 post lift we got it all installed in about 4 hours, followed by 2 hours of me futzing and running the wiring like I wanted. Super straightforward. We put it under the passenger seat. The right side under the passenger seat has a perfect space underneath the van for fitment -- between the box that holds the tire iron/tools, and a frame rail. Used Ford's aux fuel port 90 degree fitting so didn't have to drill the tank. The only unforeseen there was that the aux fuel fitting is for a larger diameter hose than the hose provided by webasto for its small diameter fuel line. Ended up running a larger hose for the first few inches and stepped it down to the webasto shorty hose, then into the pump. Was able to easily unclip the aux port plug and clip in the aux fuel fitting without dropping the tank more than 6" or so. Did it by feel and was easy enough.

Took 4 attempted starts to prime it and fill the line the first time, then voila. On a 35 degree evening it was up to mid-low 60s in my uninsulated cargo 250 after about an hour. If I fired it immediately after driving and heating the van it would be there in short order. Mounted the dial directly to the plastic wall cladding behind the drivers seat. Looks good. Works great.
can you post some pics?
thanks

·
Registered
135 Posts
Actually, the exhaust went further back to the next cross frame member. It's not optimal having the exhaust near the sliding door, but it's a ways under the rig, the heater burns such a minimal amount of gas, and the slider won't be open much on cold days when we're using this most. As such I think it's an okay compromise. Under the passenger seat is a nice place to put the heater.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Actually, the exhaust went further back to the next cross frame member. It's not optimal having the exhaust near the sliding door, but it's a ways under the rig, the heater burns such a minimal amount of gas, and the slider won't be open much on cold days when we're using this most. As such I think it's an okay compromise. Under the passenger seat is a nice place to put the heater.
Looks good man. Do you think this is possible to do without a lift?

Also where did you buy your heater?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I think it's doable with ramps in a driveway. Might be futzy lowering the tank down but you could probably do it with a floor jack. Otherwise it's fairly open and would be easy enough on your back.

I got the heater through industry connections so no help there.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think it's doable with ramps in a driveway. Might be futzy lowering the tank down but you could probably do it with a floor jack. Otherwise it's fairly open and would be easy enough on your back.

I got the heater through industry connections so no help there.
Thanks for the info man. Maybe leave this job for summer when its a bit less wet and cold on the ground...

·
Registered
765 Posts
Thanks for the photos JohhnyD! I think this is my next mod.
JP

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sure thing! Under the passenger seat is a good place for it. That said the best location logistically is behind the drivers seat. Building a bench seat with a cutout in its base down to the sheet metal pretty much anywhere on the left side of the vehicle would be even simpler to install. I didn't do it because I already had a bench and house power cabinet that the heater wouldn't easily work with. In any case, there's a ridiculous amount of open space on the left side of the vehicle. Plus it's right next to the gas tank, so that would make the run a lot shorter. The other added benefit of the left side is that the exhaust would be mid ship on the opposite side from the sliding side door. If you don't have a good box on the left side to install it in, under the passenger seat is a great spot as it doesn't take up any space in the cargo area.

Cheers!

·
Registered
135 Posts
A quick follow up. There has been some mention about the aux fuel pickup not reaching he bottom of the tank. I verified that this evening. I went and topped off the tank and the numbers are in: The aux fuel pickup starts sucking air at 8.5 gallons of fuel remaining.

I think I'm probably going to pull the fuel pickup at some point and add an extension tube to provide heat for a few more gallons of level ground.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Anyone know of a good reason to get the Espar B1LC over the Webasto Air top 2000? The Webasto can be had for about $1k but the best price I can find on the Espar is about $1600. Looking at the gasoline, not diesel versions.
Thanks,
JP

Reactions: jaross
21 - 40 of 74 Posts