Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

Will be soon purchasing a 148" MR/High to go camping/weekends with family of 5.

I still can't find the interior dimensions of the standard 148 vs the Extended.

I am trying to figure out what size bed I can install in the back. And still have seating for 3 kids.

Can anyone point me to this information, Ive tried searching with little luck.

And is the 2015-2019 model different dimensions than the new model?

Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is great. Thanks @Guri

Would you know where to find the info for more details on interior dimensions?

I'm trying to determine that if I get a 148" Long and fit a E-W bed (queenish) in the back, how many rows of seats I would have in front of that.

Is the Long a 12 seater and the Extended the 15 seater?

I need 3 seats for the kids, and want to take out the 2nd row (use this as a place for table and sleeping area for 1 or 2 kids)
And use the 3rd row for their seating (this is the first row that's spilt)

My plan is two kids sleep on the floor and one on a small cot laid across the third row.

With the platform bed in back ending just before their seats.

Hope this makes sense, any help is appreciated.
Just seeing if I can get away with a Long passenger or need the Extended.

thanks.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have a 148 LWB DRW passenger van (I love my van). The beauty of this the van is that is passenger ready, the ugly is that the van has a airbags all the lateral form the driver to the end of the van and is all one piece, you can not dismount without tempting with airbags. If you remove the airbags to do the build you could run an issue with the insurance or at the moment sale the van with the new owner. If you choose a cargo van, then it is NOT certified to have a passengers in the cargo area.
The solution in a passenger van is a build it with a compromise on what you can do by working around the airbags.
The Crew van (cargo van with a row for passenger) is the only van that you can have a passengers and be able to build it without worry about airbags behind the passenger row.
This is the MOST important decision you have to do because it will change the layout or things that you can do in the future.
You will find a ton of info here talking about that.

·
Registered
105 Posts
This is great. Thanks @Guri

Would you know where to find the info for more details on interior dimensions?

I'm trying to determine that if I get a 148" Long and fit a E-W bed (queenish) in the back, how many rows of seats I would have in front of that.

Is the Long a 12 seater and the Extended the 15 seater?

I need 3 seats for the kids, and want to take out the 2nd row (use this as a place for table and sleeping area for 1 or 2 kids)
And use the 3rd row for their seating (this is the first row that's spilt)

My plan is two kids sleep on the floor and one on a small cot laid across the third row.

With the platform bed in back ending just before their seats.

Hope this makes sense, any help is appreciated.
Just seeing if I can get away with a Long passenger or need the Extended.

thanks.
If you get the 148 non extended you can do an east/west bed and have a two seater (near the window) and a single seat (near the slider) in the 3rd row. This would leave the 2nd row completely open.

Or you can do what I'm working on now which is put swivels in the front and build a bed between the front seats and the 2nd row. Use the 2nd row also for their seats (3 across) and then leave all other rows out which leaves room for a slideout toilet or little sink.

If you need photos or dimensions let me know, my van is apart and happy to provide.

·
Registered
101 Posts
the ugly is that the van has a airbags all the lateral form the driver to the end of the van and is all one piece, you can not dismount without tempting with airbags. If you remove the airbags to do the build you could run an issue with the insurance or at the moment sale the van with the new owner. If you choose a cargo van, then it is NOT certified to have a passengers in the cargo area.
The solution in a passenger van is a build it with a compromise on what you can do by working around the airbags.
Many folks here have removed the side curtain airbags, I get that some people don't want to take that risk. But there is no law that requires side curtain airbags. Think about RV companies and up-fitters, many configurations in the class B market have rear passenger seats. It's certainly worth calling out, but just want to clarify on the legal requirements of side curtain airbags.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Something to consider with the loss of the airbags is if you ever plan to haul anyone else's kids around... you might be fine with hauling your own around without airbags but that seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen if you get in an accident with someone else's kids in the car. Just a thought.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Something to consider with the loss of the airbags is if you ever plan to haul anyone else's kids around... you might be fine with hauling your own around without airbags but that seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen if you get in an accident with someone else's kids in the car. Just a thought.

at least in canada, there is no legal requirement for rear airbag. only front airbag are mandatory. i m pretty sure the usa is the same on that as we share most of the law. So removing the airbag isnt against the law. But you cant remove the 2 frontal airbag for the driver and person sitting next to them. That is what RV company do. I did this also.

·
Registered
2020 148 Mid-Roof AWD Crew
106 Posts
go with a crew van, airbags in the second row to keep the kids safe and the rest is open for your build.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you get the 148 non extended you can do an east/west bed and have a two seater (near the window) and a single seat (near the slider) in the 3rd row. This would leave the 2nd row completely open.

Or you can do what I'm working on now which is put swivels in the front and build a bed between the front seats and the 2nd row. Use the 2nd row also for their seats (3 across) and then leave all other rows out which leaves room for a slideout toilet or little sink.

If you need photos or dimensions let me know, my van is apart and happy to provide.
Thanks.
We've been tent camping for years.
Happy to have a bed for everyone without worrying about rain.
Everything else is a bonus.

If you deleted the third row, what do you do to keep the underbed storage from flying out in a sudden stop?

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you deleted the third row, what do you do to keep the underbed storage from flying out in a sudden stop?
Still to be determined. I'm considering a cargo net to keep things under the bed, on to of the bed and things behind the 2nd row in their places, but haven't figured it out yet. The things under the bed may mostly be kept in place in the end by the slide out toilet and fridge taking up most of the width.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts