Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a transit that's similar to the one I have been waiting on since June of last year (which I recently learned I probably won't receive because my dealer submitted my 22' order super late in mid-January). It doesn't contain options that I'd like, so i'm basically paying nearly $70K for a van that has less options and costs $10K more than my order. Needless to say, I'm not too stoked on this idea.

I was wondering, it seems like orders for transits next year open up in July/August historically. It seems like If i were to put in a very simple build (limit my exposure to supply chain issues) I might be have better success at receiving a transit next year in January or February perhaps instead of June/July or never like the last two years. Does this seem consistent with what we saw this year? Does anyone have data points on those that placed an order in August/Sept of last year without 360cam/PSD/Adventure package/etc receiving their vans earlier this year?

I realize this question has no correct answer, i'm looking for what people have seen this year, essentially do early orders that were simple builds result in receiving them earlier?

@[email protected] you're the guru here, i'm curious if this is what you have seen this year? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
If your order was placed before the bank closed, I'd imagine you'd get the van your ordered before placing a new 23' order. I'd just wait for the van you ordered.

Reactions: Jmray

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Two years ago, during the pandemic, I ordered my van in AUGUST and received it in October.

Trying to compare year to year results given the pandemic is a complete waste of time.

If you don't have faith in the van you ordered (and should have received a COVP confirmation, either from email or by your dealer giving you enough details that you can verify with Ford yourself) during the open ordering window, and if you haven't paid any attention to the myriad threads here that prove when you order has little bearing on when the van is produced, then bite the bullet and spend the $15K to get the van you don't want.

Otherwise just log off this forum and ignore all the speculation that is constantly posted, and be patient.

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders - SOLD
2,518 Posts
Assuming the van you want to order is equipped the same as the van you have already ordered, I would expect the one you have already ordered to arrive first. If your order gets rolled over to a 2023 order, it should still be built sooner than a van that hasn't yet been ordered.

As for any amount over MSRP, that's a difficult pill to swallow. If you are going to keep the van for 10+ years it won't make a huge difference, but anyone who is buying a van at these arrogant and obnoxious dealer markups over MSRP is going to find themselves owing $50K on a $30K van once the supply issues are resolved.

·
Registered
893 Posts
On the one hand, a bird in the hand is worth something....

But that would never sit right with me. I mean, if it was just the van I wanted, or I had some extreme need to have a van NOW, then it would likely be worth it to me. You can't buy time. But if I didn't absolutely need a van now, I think that in a year's time I would be annoyed that it wasn't just what I wanted (and by then I would have had the "correct" van already anyway if I'd just waited).

No one single answer though.

As far as submitting your van order "super late" in January; I don't think that necessarily makes you less likely to get a van. They don't build them in order, and in some cases people who ordered later are driving their 2022's already; whereas others who ordered at the crack of the bell are still waiting.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
I found a transit that's similar to the one I have been waiting on since June of last year (which I recently learned I probably won't receive because my dealer submitted my 22' order super late in mid-January). It doesn't contain options that I'd like, so i'm basically paying nearly $70K for a van that has less options and costs $10K more than my order. Needless to say, I'm not too stoked on this idea.

I was wondering, it seems like orders for transits next year open up in July/August historically. It seems like If i were to put in a very simple build (limit my exposure to supply chain issues) I might be have better success at receiving a transit next year in January or February perhaps instead of June/July or never like the last two years. Does this seem consistent with what we saw this year? Does anyone have data points on those that placed an order in August/Sept of last year without 360cam/PSD/Adventure package/etc receiving their vans earlier this year?

I realize this question has no correct answer, i'm looking for what people have seen this year, essentially do early orders that were simple builds result in receiving them earlier?

@[email protected] you're the guru here, i'm curious if this is what you have seen this year? Thanks.
Your order in January should not be a problem if your dealer did the COVP verification and got a copy of your driver's license. Best to wait it out for that order to go to 'Unscheduled - Balanced Out' status before going another route. Why pay all that money for something that is not EXACTLY what you want!

We should be able to order a 2023 model after June 1st but when it would be delivered, ??? as if could be 3 months or 10 months.

·
Super Moderator
4,326 Posts
...As for any amount over MSRP, that's a difficult pill to swallow. If you are going to keep the van for 10+ years it won't make a huge difference, but anyone who is buying a van at these arrogant and obnoxious dealer markups over MSRP is going to find themselves owing $50K on a $30K van once the supply issues are resolved.
Exactly. buying at the markup is fine if you will keep the van and have the extra funds or real need to get one now. However, if that is not the case and the market gets back to normal you will be upside-down in a loan or take a big hit down the road when selling.

Also consider an accident 2 years from now when the insurance payout is a pittance compared to what you paid.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts

Don't pay $15K over MSRP unless you like throwing money away. It's not worth it. Use the $15K to go on a long vacation (or two, or three), then come back and watch Netflix until your van is ready.

Cheers.

·
Registered
70 Posts

I went ahead and bought a van to build out that didn't have some of the items I wanted but I wouldn't have to wait and since it was end of the year clearance I went for it. I regret it. I won't go into the items but considering some of the many little problems i've been having with the van in general and many so called "normal" problems and the lack of good dealer support I regret not buying one with everything I wanted. At least I would have gotten more of what I was paying for.
I would never pay above retail just because its available. To much of a chance of losing even more money that normal considering motor vehicles very, very seldom go up in value.

·
Registered
'21 XLT MR 148 Wagon, Eco, 3:31 LSD, RWD, PSD, NAV, ACC
261 Posts
PSD and larger tank are 2 of my favorite options on my 2021. I wouldn’t buy a van without them.
+1
I rank Adaptive Cruise in there, above oversize tank. PSD gets top billing. (*options used daily vs.........well, when you need fuel)

·
Registered
713 Posts
+1
I rank Adaptive Cruise in there, above oversize tank. PSD gets top billing. (*options used daily vs.........well, when you need fuel)
Absolutely adaptive cruise is one of my favorites too. I’m impressed with the folks who say they don’t like it or have no need for it. They must be using some very different criteria than me deciding on that choice. This is the first vehicle I’ve had with ACC. I put about 3,500 mostly highway miles on it in the 2 weeks after purchase and it was a revelation. The braking the van will do on its own is impressive and the workload and and stress reduction is significant to me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts