Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford has finally opened up the 2019 Ford Transit order system to complete a order for a passenger van with the 'delete seat' options. Here is a example of a 2019 SWB model with the 5 passenger seating and a LWB with the 8 passenger seating. The base vehicle for the SWB is a 8 passenger model and Ford gives you a credit on the window sticker for the deleted seats. Same with the LWB as the base vehicle is the 12 passenger model and you get a credit for removing the last 4 seats.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Here is the available seating configurations for each wheelbase:

SWB (130" WB)
Standard is 8 passenger seating with the 2 front driving area, 3 passenger 2nd row (54"), and 3 passenger 3rd row (62")

Optional at extra cost 10 passenger seating; 2 front driving area, 2 passenger 2nd row(36"), 2 passenger/aisle/single seat 3rd row, 3 passenger 4th row

Credit issued for the 5 passenger seating; 2 front driving area with 2nd row 3 passenger seat (54")

LWB (148" WB)
Standard is 12 passenger seating with 2 front driving area, 3 passenger 2nd row, 2 passenger/aisle/single seat 3rd row, and 2-2 passenger seating (31") 4th row

Optional at extra cost 15 passenger seating with 2 front driving area, 3 passenger 2nd row, 2 passenger/aisle/single seat 3rd & 4th row, 1/2/1 seating 5th row

Credit issued for 11 or 14 passenger seating which changes the 2nd row seat for both configuration from the 3 passenger to the 2 passenger 36" seat

More credit issued for the 8 passenger seating which gives you the 12 passenger configuration LESS the 2-2 passenger 31" seats

LWB Extended
Standard is the 15 passenger seating same as the LWB 148" WB
Credit issued for DELETE ALL REAR SEATS

·
Registered
268 Posts
When the seats are deleted are the associated tracks and air bags also deleted?

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
No, they are still going to have the tracks and air bags just like the any of the wagons. I have worked with Ford and some of their Engineering group to make a cover for the opening where you remove the seats. I started this back in 2015-16 when working with them on the Crew Van package. Told them they need a cover to go over the seat openings when the seats were removed. They worked on it for a while, then did some testing that proved the design was not good. I told them the best way to do it and that is what is happening now. When they get the final part done, I will have one to show to forum members and hopefully have a part number for it. They may sell them in group numbers based on the number of seats in the vehicle.

They are making the same passenger van floor as before, just removing seat(s) based on how many you want.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've seen a few transits for sale now with weird back seat configurations. I didn't save the interior shot, but this one has a full interior, all windows, and no seats. And it doesn't have any holes for seats.
The red one has ONE seat installed. These are obviously factory builds.
Vin numbers are there if you want to look them up.
My buddy wants to order a 5 passenger cargo.. not have any interior behind the seats. Having those 20ft long airbags really screws it up. There's still no option for not having airbags all the way to the rear windows?

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders - SOLD
2,345 Posts
The interior picture of the silver van appears to be an aftermarket seat. That base is very commonly used in the mobile upfitter industry.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
The seat in the Silver one is a Pewter Vinyl seat from a XL wagon, but the floor is not a factory floor covering. The wagon has floor vents for heating and from looking at it those have been covered up. This is actually the same wagon in the second picture but the lighting on it makes it look silver.

The second picture is from a Manheim online auction and that is a MR Wagon based on the VIN. It has been wrecked on the front and right side. You can 'google' the VIN and see what it looked like when CoPart had it. Those pictures help you see the carpet inside the van is not factory and is probably covering up the area for the other seat holders.

The third picture of the RED van is a HR T-250 (R2U) which is a Dual Sliding Door model. From the window sticker, this was a special built Transit for Ford. Probably a demo unit for a Ford District rep who may have ordered it with all the options for future reference. It is NOW owned by one of the forum members, str99shooter who has commented about getting it on 4/5/2018 with about 5000 miles on it.

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders - SOLD
2,345 Posts
The seat in the Silver one is a Pewter Vinyl seat from a XL wagon, but the floor is not a factory floor covering.
It sure is. That's what I get for looking at small photos on my phone! I'm with CrewVanMan on this one. Looks like OEM with a carpet covering the floor mounts for the other seats.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Apologies if this is the wrong thread for this, but this was the closest info I could find...

Im looking forward a used SWB, Med roof passenger van. Very hard to find this configuration, but have come across some of these ordered with builders prep package. Here’s the listing for one I am looking at LINK
and the sticker LINK

If I understand the 2015 order guide correctly, this would have the seat attachment points in the floor. Is that right is it feasible to put seats back in?

I want to be sure I have rear side curtain airbags. It looks like the builder prep package takes these away and makes them optional? On this vans sticker it says “side air bags” does that refer to front or rear side air bags?

thanks in advance !

·
Registered
ordered 9-27-21 130" LR Crew EB R1Z order confirmed 10-8-21
241 Posts
These are insurance adjuster offices. There are a lot of posts on here asking about them. Some people say the seat bracket are in place under the aftermarket floor. The ones I have seen still have the airbags it the roof. Who knows about the specific one that you are looking at. Go inspect it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
If I understand the 2015 order guide correctly, this would have the seat attachment points in the floor. Is that right is it feasible to put seats back in?

I want to be sure I have rear side curtain airbags. It looks like the builder prep package takes these away and makes them optional? On this vans sticker it says “side air bags” does that refer to front or rear side air bags?

thanks in advance !
I would not trust the window sticker. You'll find some very upset posters here who bought 10,000lbs+ GVWR vans that did not include side curtain airbags for the driver/passenger, despite the window sticker saying it had airbags (that high of a GVWR vehicle doesn't require airbags according to Fed regulations, but the window sticker is probably just standard).

At least the holes for the rails will be in the floor. If they simply laid that floor covering on top of the standard Passenger floor then the rails might be there (and the ducts for the heater), however that might make for a lumpy floor. If you look at the side and rear entry, the Passenger scuff plate/threshold is not there, and I'd expect if a floor had been overlaid on the stock, there'd be a big lip/step up. I suspect that floor replaced the stock Passenger floor, so rails and ducts are gone.

It has the standard Passenger ceiling (with A/C duct), but you'd need to look behind it to see if the airbags are present (you can pull the panels back enough to see the green of the airbags without damaging the ceiling piece). If the airbags are missing then the sensors that run along the sidewalls are certainly not there either.

The rails and seats are easily sourced from the Classifieds here. I wouldn't touch it if it is missing the airbags and you need them though.

·
Registered
415 Posts
And if you are able to inspect it, you can look from the underside and see the welded nuts for the seat rails run along the bottom. If a seat rail is installed, you should be able to see the mounting bolt protruding through the nut.

·
Registered
9 Posts
And if you are able to inspect it, you can look from the underside and see the welded nuts for the seat rails run along the bottom. If a seat rail is installed, you should be able to see the mounting bolt protruding through the nut.
Thank you! That was my next question.

Are the welded nuts positioned only for the seating configuration ordered, or is it a "universal" approach where they are installed in multiple positions so they can support any seating configuration ordered?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would not trust the window sticker. You'll find some very upset posters here who bought 10,000lbs+ GVWR vans that did not include side curtain airbags for the driver/passenger, despite the window sticker saying it had airbags (that high of a GVWR vehicle doesn't require airbags according to Fed regulations, but the window sticker is probably just standard).

At least the holes for the rails will be in the floor. If they simply laid that floor covering on top of the standard Passenger floor then the rails might be there (and the ducts for the heater), however that might make for a lumpy floor. If you look at the side and rear entry, the Passenger scuff plate/threshold is not there, and I'd expect if a floor had been overlaid on the stock, there'd be a big lip/step up. I suspect that floor replaced the stock Passenger floor, so rails and ducts are gone.

It has the standard Passenger ceiling (with A/C duct), but you'd need to look behind it to see if the airbags are present (you can pull the panels back enough to see the green of the airbags without damaging the ceiling piece). If the airbags are missing then the sensors that run along the sidewalls are certainly not there either.

The rails and seats are easily sourced from the Classifieds here. I wouldn't touch it if it is missing the airbags and you need them though.
Those posts form the 10,000+ GVWR vans are exactly what worried me! The door sticker on this one says 8550lb. GVWR, so that is promising at least for the front driver/ passenger side curtains.

In the rear, would there be airbag emblems in the ceiling panel if they are present? Are you suggesting pulling back on the panel where it meets the window or at another spot?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Those posts form the 10,000+ GVWR vans are exactly what worried me! The door sticker on this one says 8550lb. GVWR, so that is promising at least for the front driver/ passenger side curtains.

In the rear, would there be airbag emblems in the ceiling panel if they are present? Are you suggesting pulling back on the panel where it meets the window or at another spot?
Halfway up the vertical'ish face, around the level of the A/C vent. The ceiling pieces overlap, with the rearmost being removed first. So facing the rear of the van you should be able to pull the further panel away an inch or so to see behind it. The airbags (at least mine/all the pics I've seen) are green and the inflators are yellow.

As for the welded nuts, on my 148WB regular length Passenger van, there are welded nuts all the way to the back, which should have allowed 15 seats. I ordered a 12 seat van (with a 4 seat delete) and it came with the rails for rows 2, 3, and 4 (but only seats in rows 2 and 3). I've never lifted the floor to see if the sheet metal was drilled through for a 5th row, but I doubt it was.

This thread has a picture of what the floor looks like with only the rails (15 seat) present:

Reactions: B-rady

·
Registered
415 Posts
I just looked at my 2020 Order Guide and the BUILDERS PREP PACKAGE (47E) deletes "Rear-Seat Rails and Fasteners". I doubt they'd drill the holes.

I don't know how you'd find the holes from the top if you wanted to utilize the welded nuts. Probably find an accessible welded nut from the underside and drill from the bottom, then use it as a reference point and hope those measured drawings are accurate (I think there is a measured drawing in an official Ford technical document [BEMM]).

On the plus side, that 47E doesn't say anything about removing the airbags.

Font Number Screenshot Document Parallel

·
Registered
415 Posts
...and this is what I saw in the BEMM. Your mileage may vary. It implied "all" vans have the second and third row ability, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a future T350 Cargo van actually has them, but won't be surprised if it doesn't (and the "all" only applies to Passenger vans):

Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Screenshot

·
Registered
9 Posts
...and this is what I saw in the BEMM. Your mileage may vary. It implied "all" vans have the second and third row ability, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a future T350 Cargo van actually has them, but won't be surprised if it doesn't (and the "all" only applies to Passenger vans):
This is great stuff! How does one get access tot he BEMM?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just looked at my 2020 Order Guide and the BUILDERS PREP PACKAGE (47E) deletes "Rear-Seat Rails and Fasteners". I doubt they'd drill the holes.

I don't know how you'd find the holes from the top if you wanted to utilize the welded nuts. Probably find an accessible welded nut from the underside and drill from the bottom, then use it as a reference point and hope those measured drawings are accurate (I think there is a measured drawing in an official Ford technical document [BEMM]).

On the plus side, that 47E doesn't say anything about removing the airbags.

View attachment 160978
So I read a thread on here about converting SWB 8 passenger to 10 "cutting through the floor" really deterred me, but now I realize it was talking about cutting through the "upper" floor, not the steel structural floor. It seems doable as long as I can properly locate and drill at those welded nuts...

Do you know if the side/canopy airbag on a SWB 8 would extend back to where the back row sits on the SWB 10 layout?

·
Registered
415 Posts
So I read a thread on here about converting SWB 8 passenger to 10 "cutting through the floor" really deterred me, but now I realize it was talking about cutting through the "upper" floor, not the steel structural floor. It seems doable as long as I can properly locate and drill at those welded nuts...

Do you know if the side/canopy airbag on a SWB 8 would extend back to where the back row sits on the SWB 10 layout?

I assume they only have one size of air bags for each of the lengths. If you look at this video it doesn't appear the deployed air bag goes all the way to the rear on the extended length (where there are no seats). The black van that they're installing the airbags (which looks like it has a single piece swinging door, rather than a slider!, however later you see the silver rail for the slider being mounted to the side of the van) appears to be a 148" WB and the airbags extend to the very back, and then the white van at the very end appears to be 130WB (because you can see that slider mechanism poking out near where the taillights go) and the airbags run the length:

You might check with one of the Ford dealers parts sites to see what comes back for the right part for that VIN / or style.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts