Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all who are using a composting toilet in their camper van, what material works best for odor free living? All composting toilet reviews states odor free....LOL. Real world is usually different.

My unit came with a brick of coco coir, I don't know if that';s the best or if a blend works better. What do you use?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I’ve used cedar chips like the big bags you buy at wallly world and have had no problems crapping in a 5 gal bucket with plastic lid like you buy at cabelas. It’s the piss that will gag you.

·
Registered
120 Posts
We've only had one trip since putting in the toilet and used the coco brick that came with it. No odor when the lid was down, minimal odor when using the toilet. Are you getting odor when it is closed? We have an airhead, which has a fully gasketed seat and lid.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should clarify. I am referring to a urine diverting dry toilet, not a wet compost pit toilet. Some FB users were confused when I asked over there.

Yes I have an air head toilet but my first vent location was not as 100% outside venting as I thought. I just changed the vent to 100% outside out the roof today. That will solve the vent problem. I was not sure if the coco coir was also contributing to the "earthy" smell I was experiencing when the vent was incorrect.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I used coco coir with my air head and have absolutely 0 odor. dont' go too wet with the coir though. should just be damp, and better to be a bit on the dry side as its easier to add water if needed than remove.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I lived on a boat for a few years with a nature’s head. We used coco coir. The key thing was adequate airflow. Never turn off the vent fan. Ever. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Another Airhead + coir user with no odor problems.
Vents underneath the van.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I used a large coco coir brick of amazon for 20$, pre cut the brick into the size I needed for my natures head. A great part about the Coco Coir is it is dehydrated and compressed and saves space. I avoid using it for #2 whenever I can and after 13 months of full timing in the van I still have 1 brick left. Also if you aren't using it once a day remember to spin the agitator every day or two.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Coco coir seems to be the defacto standard for a urine diverting toilet such as natures head or air head or DIY kit.

I also avoid #2 in van except for emergencies. I am assuming it (#2) can stay in the toilet till full and not be cleaned out like a litter box?

I've read on google some people create their own mixes of bulk mediums, such as 60% coir and 40% peat moss. That is supposed to reduce any earthy smells. I have no idea is it works. Has anyone experimented with blends of different mediums?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I use peat moss in my Nature's Head and it works fine.

For a 10 week trip this Fall I used the toilet about 50% of the time and didn't empty it until I got home. No smell. I did have to occasionally add water to break down the toilet paper so that it wouldn't wrap around the crank.

·
Registered
90 Posts
We used coco coir as well. We generally only went #2 in emergencies, though as time went on we got a little more comfortable using it so our definition of an emergency changed. One or two bricks lasted for ages. We usually went for at least 60 days before emptying the solids with infrequent use.

By far the biggest smell was from not dumping the urine bottle enough. The solids essentially never smelled when properly vented.

·
Registered
126 Posts
i got my toilet to be able to go #2. Wife and I used it for a month solid (no pun intended), Then home for a month and went again for a long weekend. I finally decided to dump it since it wouldn't be used for a few months. Never any smell, dumping it into a garbage bag was like dumping a 5gal pail of damp earth. No issues, no smell. Stop being afraid of it and use it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
i keep most of my toilet paper separate. Real dirty stuff goes in the toilet, just to avoid any other sources of smell. The rest just goes in the trash. I don't think there is any issue with putting it in, but I just wanted to prolong the dumping

·
Registered
2 Posts
We successfully used pete moss all year, thought we've read coco coir is a bit more environmentally friendly and may try to use that once our pete moss runs out, though that will probably be a while.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts