Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 XLT150 with all the bells and whistles and it is to me a terrific van which is a pleasure to drive. Bought new ($37,500). I have had some issues that surprised me though. One was the rear brakes that needed changed at 23K miles ($540). Apparently that is common. At 29K miles I needed new tires ($676). Also apparently common. I had the water leak recall which they repaired back in 2015. Also the drive shaft recall which I am scheduled to have done now. Also some little quirk things of little import that i tried to pass on to Ford, but they don't seem to have any interest. No big deal, but would be nice no cost improvements on new models.

Looking to the future I would be interested in other issues that any of you all may have encountered after 30K miles? Considered an extended warranty? Not sure? Love the van though. Its still a show stopper coming up on 3 years old. Ride on!

·
Registered
157 Posts
How about some pics sparo? I just recently joined the forum and thinking about building out an XLT 350 12 passenger. So right now I am looking at all my options and dealers.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
Wow, I have over 30k and my tires are maybe half-worn at most.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
i do not think there is such a thing as XLT for the transits, you either have the preferred equipment package or you do not.
when I was shopping a year ago, there WAS such thing as the XLT; which was basically an amalgamation of preferred equipment and a badge to signify it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a 2016 Transit 350 XLT that we built out. 12 passenger, towing package, power outlet and SYNC navigation setup.

Currently at 38k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FOLLOWUP TO COMMENTS I'll send some pics. There is a 2015 XLT 150. I have been driving one for nearly 3 years. In early 2015 I do know it was a special order, either by you or the dealer. Special order at that time was 4 months. I tracked down 4 of them on the internet which dealers ordered. All of them were loaded - leather seats, navigation, sync, towing package, and more. Mine did not have the power outlet, but it was built. I went quite a distance to buy it and drove it home. I do not know if XLT was offered after 2015 or not. Your average salesman probably will not know as they are not in great demand evidently. Tires were continental Vanco. Rotated frequently and worn out evenly. I am an average driver, not hard on brakes and tires. A tire dealer told me that they make a special soft ride tire version for the manufacturer and that the replacement tires would wear better. I bought Firestones anyway. Ride on!

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
when I was shopping a year ago, there WAS such thing as the XLT; which was basically an amalgamation of preferred equipment and a badge to signify it.
when shopping for a ford transit 2 years ago no where on car guru listed a Transit as being an XL or a XLT, only the ford Transit Connects had the XL/XLT badges on the rear doors.
(commercial vehicles do not have badges, only passenger vehicles have them.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, please google FORD TRANSIT BUILD. Select BUILD YOUR OWN from the FORD BUILD SITE and see for yourself. In the meantime I'll be driving my 2015 transit XLT knowing that they can still be ordered in 2018 as they always have been. It is not a commercial vehicle, but could be used as one I imagine if someone really wanted too.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
The Transit has always had the XLT package on the wagon. It is a exterior and interior upgrade package where you get the chrome grille and headlamp trim on the outside and a upgraded version of the standard interior where you have the seats beyond the front passenger area with outer arm rests and the 3" to 4" recline on the seats except the rear seats. There are other standard options for the XLT Wagon but these are the ones you see right off that are different from the XL Wagon.

You can go to the 2018 Ford Transit Order Guide and you have a separate column with just the specifications on the XLT WAGON. It was on the 2015 Ford Transit Order Guide as well as both the 2016 & 2017 order guides.

You do not have the XLT package on the cargo vans. You can get some of the options that are part of the XLT package like the chrome grille and headlamp trim (as part of the Exterior Upgrade package) and the various interior options beyond the standard Pewter Grey Cloth seating on the XLT. You can refer to page 12 & 17 of the 2018 Ford Transit Order Guide for ALL the information on the seating packages available for the Transit.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
ok i stand corrected, i would not want to ruin your bragging rights.

by the way 90 percent of all transits sold are work trucks (i.e. commercial)

oh, and trade that T-150 wagon in for a T-250 wagon or a T-350 wagon and you will be crying the commercial license plate blues!

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
No T-250 wagon. The wagon comes in the T-150 SWB model and the T-350 LWB & LWB Extended models.

The T-250 is just a van configuration that you might see in a conversion with more seats than just the front ones.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
when shopping for a ford transit 2 years ago no where on car guru listed a Transit as being an XL or a XLT, only the ford Transit Connects had the XL/XLT badges on the rear doors.
(commercial vehicles do not have badges, only passenger vehicles have them.)
I do believe it was only the wagons that could be had as "XLT". I don't remember any XL.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
The base wagon is referred to as the XL Wagon. The 2018 Ford Transit Order Guide has separate columns for each one to show you the standard options on each as well as the optional equipment you can add to each one.

To get some options on the wagon, you have to go to the XLT to get them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Best wishes to all. Did not mean to sound like bragging. Was considering an extended warranty. Just wanted to know what mechanical issues some higher mileage transits may have had is all.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
oh, and trade that T-150 wagon in for a T-250 wagon or a T-350 wagon and you will be crying the commercial license plate blues!
Depends on the state. Here in SC my 350HD is not registered as a "commercial" vehicle and has a regular plate just like any car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My insurer doesn't offer it at all like GEICO. The regular extended warranty is lots of $$$$$$$. Thinking self insuring is the best bet. Never needed it with the FORDS I have had in the past.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Extended warranties are the biggest legal rip off in all of consumerdom. In a typical retail environment they represent 15% of gross sales and 50% of gross margin. I suspect the disparity is greater in new car transactions. When you sit in the "finance" office at a dealership, they invariably try to sell you 2 things: a $1,000 wax job and an extended warranty. They try a lot harder to push the warranty than they do the wax job. If that doesn't get your Spidey Senses tingling, check your pulse.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Extended warranties are the biggest legal rip off in all of consumerdom. In a typical retail environment they represent 15% of gross sales and 50% of gross margin. I suspect the disparity is greater in new car transactions. When you sit in the "finance" office at a dealership, they invariably try to sell you 2 things: a $1,000 wax job and an extended warranty. They try a lot harder to push the warranty than they do the wax job. If that doesn't get your Spidey Senses tingling, check your pulse.
All true, and a shame.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts