Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Will hopefully be getting my 148" MR sometime this year, and was wondering if anyone has any experience with CCV? Put a deposit for pop-top down with them, and am excited to get my build started.

·
Registered
112 Posts
i was one of Derek's (owner) first customers way back when he still worked out of his Quonset hut up in the mountains. he converted an econoline 4x4 to pop top for me. i had the skills to do it myself but was working like 70 hour weeks at the time. he showed me his system, i stated how i would do it and made some request of what i envisioned and he did what i suggested, and continued after.

Anyway, CCV was never very good at communication, they are builders, and i was fine with that. and company took off way more than ever anticipated i think and experience growing pains. that said, he is a very knowledgable guy and fabricator. not sure how much time he spends in the shop these day and only as good as your worst employee, so.... i was happy with the work i got from him, just never really loved that van

·
Registered
82 Posts
I got a CCV pop-top installed last year. Worked directly with Derek and experienced his communications skills first hand. When I could get him on the phone he was great, took his time answering questions and worked through the options with me. At that time I didn't realize he was the owner. Just thought he was a busy sales guy.

They got the van done on schedule, and did some extra work without charging me. They even changed up their usual roof cut-out to accommodate my Adventure Wagon Mule Bags. Not a full year with the top yet but it has been great and we are really happy with it.

I read that thread posted above before dropping off the van, and I was worried. Fortunately we didn't have the same experience. But I will admit that the cost and the finish work don't seem to match.

Clean Up: When I got the van back there was saw-dust and metal shavings in some random places. So they didn't really mask off or clean up well after fabrication.

Exposed screws: They use self-tapping sheet metal screws to tie the bed platform to the roof. The bottom side of those screws are poking through everywhere. I covered them with Thinsulate and then installed the Mule Bags, but I probably should have cut them down.

Upholstery: The bed panels and cut out framing are wrapped in automotive carpet. They were either running out of material or cut it too short. There are some pieces that aren't fully covered and have gaps.

Pop-top Fabric: I just recently noticed that one of the corners on the pop-top fabric is torn. Planning to call them tomorrow to see how to remedy.

But it is not all negative. Like I mentioned above Derek had a great idea to accommodate the Mule Bags and it has worked awesome. Not a big difference from the usual install but they reduced the cut out size and framed it out for the bags. They usually place the power controls for the top behind the driver’s seat, but moved it behind the slider door per my request. They installed awning brackets but didn’t charge me for the brackets or the install. Everything was completed on schedule and the van was ready when I showed up. I made sure to call the week before pickup and again a couple days before I flew out there. Derek drove me to the car rental place when I dropped off the van and when I picked it up. (BTW if you plan to use National at the Loveland Airport call them after you make your reservation, it is a tiny airport and doesn't have a dedicated National employee onsite.)

The pop-top has been great for camping and always opens up with no issue. The bedding is comfortable, and the windows are awesome. The fan install looks really good and the LED puck lights are great. I am 6ft tall, and standing up in the mid-roof van was precarious. I would have to be mindful of the cross-beams. With the pop top cut out I have a lot of head room.

I would definitely do it again. My only advice is to make a list of all of the negatives you have read, and include your own expectations. When you go to pick up the van it is overwhelming and the excitement definitely blurs the critical eye. If you have a checklist of potential issues you can stay focused and get your concerns addressed in person. That’s not to say that they are rushing you out of the door. Derek spent a good amount of time showing me the features and answering questions and remedied the small things I was able to quickly identify. When standing in the van with the top opened for the first time it’s pretty awesome and the extra space is really distracting.

·
Registered
234 Posts
If you are interested in a poptop, unfortunately there aren't many options. Westfalia DIY conversions, Sportsmobile and CCV.

I had a Sportsmobile on a E350 frame and their poptop. I've seen the CCV poptop and I think it is a better product.

You may want to check out the Sportmobile forum (like this, not sponsored by the mfg) for more detailed and lively discussions of both poptops. Several members have upgraded? from the SMB top to the CCV.

I love poptops. It's a beautiful experience to sleep up top with all the side zipped down in a wilderness site.

It was distinctly less pleasant to sleep in a campground with a poptop. It has no noise abatement so you hear every neighbor just like you do in a tent.

Good luck!

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you are interested in a poptop, unfortunately there aren't many options. Westfalia DIY conversions, Sportsmobile and CCV.

I had a Sportsmobile on a E350 frame and their poptop. I've seen the CCV poptop and I think it is a better product.

You may want to check out the Sportmobile forum (like this, not sponsored by the mfg) for more detailed and lively discussions of both poptops. Several members have upgraded? from the SMB top to the CCV.

I love poptops. It's a beautiful experience to sleep up top with all the side zipped down in a wilderness site.

It was distinctly less pleasant to sleep in a campground with a poptop. It has no noise abatement so you hear every neighbor just like you do in a tent.

Good luck!
Just thought I'd add that there is one more pop-top option:

Also Sportsmobile doesn't advertise that they install on mid-roof Transits, but when I was talking to them they confirmed that they do.

·
Registered
82 Posts
No experience. I just remember they came up when I was researching. At that time they wanted to do the full build, but they reached out later saying they were doing just tops.

·
Registered
234 Posts
No experience. I just remember they came up when I was researching. At that time they wanted to do the full build, but they reached out later saying they were doing just tops.
Good catch Ruadhrigh. I think GTRV has been around for decades with many customers although it used to be an issue because they were Canadian based and you had some customs hassles getting them imported into the US. I saw from your link they are now bay area based which has to make things simpler.

If you are a fan of the Westy top model, I agree that they should be on the list to review.

·
Registered
50 Posts
There are a lot of pop tops that pivot up (like GTRV) and very few that are on par with CCV. The only other one is sportsmobile, and it really is NOT as nice as the CCV. Also, sportsmobile refuse to install theirs on anything other than a low-roof van - which I consider a non-starter. I got mine installed on my medium roof 130 this year and its great! I'll be honest, their overall craftsmanship isn't superb and that's why I didn't have them do anything else to my van. I have no complaints about the product itself, they did a nice job with the install. I did select a few options for the poptop: extra insulation, solar wiring passthrough, large roof cutout. It really is an amazing product - roomy, comfortable, and opens the van up in terms of headroom. The communication was really bad. It took me forever to get ahold of them in the first place, and when I showed up to drop off my van at the appointed time, nobody was around to receive it for a couple of hours. For such a huge upgrade with absolutely no alternative vendor, these are pretty small issues all things considered. I would recommend them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Leaning that way.
Most likely going to have CCV do the top, and find another upfitter to do the rest of the build.
Anyone have recommendations for Northern California (bay area) upfitter?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've done two builds with CCV. Both times they were on time and on budget. They even did extra work without charge. Communication wasn't great, but I got what I wanted and what I paid for. I would go back to them in a heartbeat. They were also way more price competitive than the other shops I spoke with.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Van Life Customs out of Denver did ours. We didn't do a pop top but they do them. They're craftsmanship is unrivaled. Our insta is #terfandserf for pics of our VLC build.

·
Registered
2019 250 Cargo MR LWB Quigley CCV pop-top
156 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts