Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear interior corners of the Transits have a bunch of holes leading to the outdoors under the van , what are you guys doing to cover/block these holes ?

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
They all have plastic covers on them unless someone has removed them.

·
Registered
2020 Transit 250 AWD HR Ecoboost camper
9 Posts
2020 HR AWD eco boost.I panaled right over mine and now wish I hadn’t.the slider is hard to close and you have to slam it.I now just open the passenger door and it slides shut easy.looking at your pic maybe I’ll try and cut a opening.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I plan to plug any remaining holes with a small amount of great stuff, as many other campervan builders have done before me with no noticeable harm if you have floor vents that can be opened/closed as desired (see youtube, there's even a spot near the b-pillar that is prefect for a vent). Pretty much any "you're not supposed to" is already out the window at this point, having cut into the vehicle in a variety of places, bent the muffler heat shield, cut and ground the front pinch seams, rerouted wiring harnesses, installed a lift kit, changed parameters in forscan, modified and welded the subframe to permit a 265/75/16 to fit in the spare tire carrier area, etc. That ship has sailed. Of course there are some changes you really want to avoid like cutting large sections of boron steel (assuming you even can). But don't sweat the small stuff. Just do it in a way that isn't entirely irreversible.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
If you go into the cargo area and turn the lights out until it's pretty much complete darkness during the day time it's crazy how much light is coming through them holes , at that point it's very obvious to see where the lights coming in is where the holes are .
After seeing where the holes actually are it's gonna be easy to cover them , you only have to cover the big one at the bottom and then all of the other bunches of smaller holes won't matter.
Look at the second picture I posted and then realize that's only one side , the drivers side has just as big of hole!!!!

Van Goph
After looking. , yes spray foam will work perfect , I get the orange stuff because it looks better then the yellow.
Will only have to spray in one small hole in each side and gravity will drop it down into the big
hole and as it expands it will rise and fill the hole.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They all have plastic covers on them unless someone has removed them.
I'm talking about the ones in the far corners , look at my last picture I posted in this thread , you can barely see it because I shot the picture in the dark , the holes are obvious to see though.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I'm talking about the ones in the far corners , look at my last picture I posted in this thread , you can barely see it because I shot the picture in the dark , the holes are obvious to see though.
Yes, Under the van there are 2 black plastic covers under each corner of the rear door frame, One 3"x 5" and the other 3" x3". Some people remove these covers and use them for Floor Vents (D-Pillar Floor Vents) or they run electrical cable in and out of the van threw them.
There are many threads on this forum about the D-Pillar holes and how to use them.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, Under the van there are 2 black plastic covers under each corner of the rear door frame, One 3"x 5" and the other 3" x3". Some people remove these covers and use them for Floor Vents (D-Pillar Floor Vents) or they run electrical cable in and out of the van threw them.
There are many threads on this forum about the D-Pillar holes and how to use them.
My black plastic covers are on !
I'm talking about big holes in the far rear corners , there kinda hard to see looking up under the van but
they are there.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I find it hard to believe that you have lived in the van for three or four Winters and you are just now figuring this out.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I find it hard to believe that you have lived in the van for three or four Winters and you are just now figuring this out.
I was in a Express van until Sept 2017 when I got the Transit . , and then one winter all heaters broke and so it wasn't like I felt a draft then , the whole van was one huge draft unfortunately during one of the worst winters we ever had , not uncommon to see negative 40 Fahrenheit and then every time it did
briefly lighten up it would drop a bunch of snow , not once but again. , and again , repeat repeat.
That's why i'm preparing , it ain't no joke.
Back up heaters!!!!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts