1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Description says "includes two" then the description later on says "two needed, price is for one".

That whole web site is a mess. If you search by vehicle type, and select Transit, you get a bunch of Sprinter only parts in the results.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
What adjusts? Will this add any lift?
The thin black spring perch between the bottom of the spring and the thick aluminum piece is what usually adjusts up and down on the threaded strut body. To adjust the perch up and down, a special wrench is used such as https://www.summitracing.com/parts/exp-90-3011?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKCAjwx_boBRA9EiwA4kIELsW6DBzsBFzPp213Ie2Zf76J5AkDopOBeM5DQFLXrXJW3BoZG4XPOxoCKMQQAvD_BwE

They can lower or raise the body but you'd have to call them to see how much. $2K for the pair sounds like the typical price for a set of coilovers.

I'm used to seeing them on track/race cars - aligning the springs to have the same suspension motion as the shock makes tuning easier.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They can lower or raise the body but you'd have to call them to see how much. $2K for the pair sounds like the typical price for a set of coilovers.

I'm used to seeing them on track/race cars - aligning the springs to have the same suspension motion as the shock makes tuning easier.
Also to clear up room for wider wheels/tires too, yeah?

Its still unclear if this is for 2 or 1.

The website is a big miss for sure. I might call them, but this is not confidence inspiring. ..

·
Registered
401 Posts
Tein makes tons of coilovers for the import scene, Miatas, Accords, anything that the young kids are driving. Here is my sons Subaru BRZ, he is on his second set of coilovers and third set of tires but didn't pay 2K or even close to it for the coilovers. Tein is a lower priced unit IMO.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
Tein makes tons of coilovers for the import scene, Miatas, Accords, anything that the young kids are driving. Here is my sons Subaru BRZ, he is on his second set of coilovers and third set of tires but didn't pay 2K or even close to it for the coilovers. Tein is a lower priced unit IMO.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
I had a set of Tein coil-overs on my much modified/abused '94 3000GT - you are right, they are definitely at the lower end in performance and quality.

After several years of bruised kidneys, I just replaced them with a set of Ohlins (for considerably more than $2,000).

The improvement in ride and overall compliance has got me toying with the idea of having a set of custom Ohlins made for the front of our Transit.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've been thinking about putting Bilstein B6's on the front of my 350HD. Haven't decided if the van really needs them.
Regarding coilovers for our vans, this becomes a more complex topic.

Under what conditions will the van be driven?
Off-road?
Gravel roads with lots of pot holes?
Freeway driving?
In town driving?
Towing?
Loaded down with cargo or passengers?

Each situation may have different requirements for the spring rates and shocks.
Do you go with fixed rate shocks or with adjustable compression or adjustable compression and rebound?

My 350HD is driven mainly on freeways and already pretty stiffly sprung. I wonder how much more can be done to give it a smoother or improved cornering on the road/freeways.

If I was going to take the van on gravel roads and more adverse driving situations, I would consider putting on the rear FOX RACING remote reservoir shocks with compression adjuster and for the fronts the B6 shocks.

I've set up coilovers on my autocross cars of the past. Sure was a lot of work to get all 4 wheels adjusted to where things were optimized. (I just don't see the effort on one of our vans to be worth it.)

OTOH, I can see coilovers helping if you convert to Quigly 4x4 or want to put on a lift kit to make the van more capable on off-road situations. In these cases tuning the suspension is a good thing. (My extended 350 dually has too much rear overhang to ever be good taking it off road. It will only see smooth gravel roads.)

·
Registered
140 Posts
You can't put a coil over on a van that does not have an upper control arm ;)

This is a strut with a coil, just like your van already has (McPherson strut). Struts hold lateral loads to keep the wheel vertical. Coil overs typically refer to shocks that can only take a vertical damping load. A much simpler shock to design.

This will likely be a Bilstein strut with an Eibach coil. The only advantage will be the option to bump up spring rate over stock for additional lift. We have considered making something like this. We see a lot of Transits sagging up front. Might be cool for a little more lift and spring rate bump for heavy vans.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Wrong! Technically speaking any suspension system that incorporates the spring mounted around the damper is considered a "Coilover" Literally "Coil over the Shock"

In our van's case, the coilover is specifically called a "McPherson Strut" because this suspension design approach was invented by Earle S. MacPherson in 1945.

Your assumption that it will be a Bilstein strut with Eibach coil is short sighted. If there is a market, other companies will design a strut style coilover that will fit our vans.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can't put a coil over on a van that does not have an upper control arm ;)

This is a strut with a coil, just like your van already has (McPherson strut). Struts hold lateral loads to keep the wheel vertical. Coil overs typically refer to shocks that can only take a vertical damping load. A much simpler shock to design.

This will likely be a Bilstein strut with an Eibach coil. The only advantage will be the option to bump up spring rate over stock for additional lift. We have considered making something like this. We see a lot of Transits sagging up front. Might be cool for a little more lift and spring rate bump for heavy vans.
I would love a little more lift on my quadvan, but you already knew that ;)

·
Registered
104 Posts
I would more interested in a shock with compression and dampening adjustment and either a larger tube or res so there is more oil/more cooling that will reduce fade.
I do a ton of washboard and just ordered a transit to start my build. Shock fade sucks when you have long Baja roads ahead of you.

My plan already calls for the Fox resi rear shocks but I sure would like more options upfront to go with the Quadvan conversion

1 - 17 of 17 Posts