·
Super Moderator
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Sweet idea! We have an Aeropress for our camp coffee needs but this is a great alternative for all-electric campers. I wonder how many cups can be brewed without recharging?

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I wonder how many cups can be brewed without recharging?
One Amazon reviewer:

"Totally a novelty item, but still fun. Only makes two four ounce cups of coffee per battery and can only hold enough water to make one four ounce cup at a time. So I use it for espresso on job sites and to make folks laugh when they see me with a coffee maker on my tool belt."

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Pretty good option, for a single coffee drinker. Looka those 4 guys in the picture: 4 cups of coffee... which had to be brewed in 4 sessions, in more than 12 minutes. Only one guy in the pic has a hot cuppa. Not a good solution for them.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I just use a 9 cup stainless steel campfire percolator that I bought from Cabela’s. There’s something about a percolator while camping. Works best when beans are coarsely ground, or you could use a filter in the bottom of the basket.

The best instant coffee that I’ve had is the Starbucks Via.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I still like my old Jetboil Flash for coffee even when in the van and have 120v. Its fast and easy with the optional coffee press, which is my preferred brewing method. I can't remember the last time I had to replace the fuel canister, but I keep a few spares around. It makes up to a liter (33oz) at time and will keep the leftovers warm for a good while.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
My favourite for camping is the French Press. Grounds in the bottom of pot, pour boiling water in, when colour looks right press the grounds down. I have a 3 mug for sharing, and one that is a travel mug for just me.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Predawn, first morning of elk season. A gas lantern casts a small circle of light in a forest clearing. Rattle of pans.

ME: Where's the coffee?
PAL: I thought you were bringing it.
ME: I thought you were bringing it.

Silence, as the two hunters ponder the cruel indifference of the universe.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Predawn, first morning of elk season. A gas lantern casts a small circle of light in a forest clearing. Rattle of pans.

ME: Where's the coffee?
PAL: I thought you were bringing it.
ME: I thought you were bringing it.

Silence, as the two hunters ponder the cruel indifference of the universe.
For this reason, I actually have coffee and chocolate bars in our emergency supplies kits.

Both in the vehicles, and in the 2 earthquake supply kits.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Ditch anything aluminum for cooking food. Or has the link between aluminum and Alzheimer's been disproven?:eek:

https://universityhealthnews.com/daily/memory/aluminum-linked-to-alzheimers-disease/
All I know is I learned in welding class that aluminum puts off a toxic gas when welded and requires strong ventilation to carry the fumes away to insure the safety of the person doing the welding. I figured that there could be some low level of toxicity when heated for cooking and quit using it decades ago to be on the safe side. Later, reading about the theoretical link to Alzheimer's seemed to further confirm this suspicion.

·
Registered
217 Posts
COFFEE WHILE DRIVING:

Oops spilled my coffee in my new van at the time. Went to clean it up but found out it's a self cleaning van with auto drain.

Who knew? Love finding out new things about my van. I believe that is another post :) somewhere on here.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 67 Posts