Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB with only 39,914 miles on it. Today I was driving and I felt a "knocking" through the firewall directly behind the floorboard under the dash. I instinctively turned off all noise makers in the cabin (blower motor, music) so I could listen to see if I hear anything with the "knocking" I was feeling at times through the firewall. When turning to the right, there was a intermittent clunking noise as I'm turning. I pull into a parking lot, put my van in park and gradually turn the steering wheel and again, I hear and feel a clunk then turning my steering wheel. Sometimes it's minute..I hear a clunk but don't feel it and other times I hear and feel it. Yes, I have some general car knowledge on noises a car and make and what could be creating the noise. So in the empty lot, I put my car back in gear and drive around a bit cranking my steering wheel left and right to see if I could isolate the noise. I couldn't. It didn't have a "click click click" of a cv joint, but I probably has to be something mounted against the firewall of my van, directly behind the drivers side for me to hear AND feel the clunking noise. My van is low miles for its age so I never thought a component would fail this early. Can anyone help me isolate what is making the noise that I could even FEEL the knocking?

·
Registered
2015 3.5L EB 148 Highroof Extended
187 Posts
I had a really loud clunk/knocking noise a while back from a worn ball joint on my front sway bar link. Upon inspection I could wiggle the loose ball joint a (surprisingly) small amount by hand.

If I were you I'd crawl under the van and look for play in any of the front suspension components. Maybe have someone else wiggle the steering wheel back and forth while you crawl under and take a peek. Best of luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a really loud clunk/knocking noise a while back from a worn ball joint on my front sway bar link. Upon inspection I could wiggle the loose ball joint a (surprisingly) small amount by hand.

If I were you I'd crawl under the van and look for play in any of the front suspension components. Maybe have someone else wiggle the steering wheel back and forth while you crawl under and take a peek. Best of luck
Yeah that's what I'm thinking is going on. The fact that I can feel the banging of whatever is loose makes me believe it's connected to either the frame by the firewall in order for the vibration to be felt in the cabin. It's either connected to the rack and pinion or the frame. Unfortunately my mechanic is booked 2 weeks out so luckily my dad has ramps that I can possibly use to crawl under and have a look and feel around. Last thing is hopefully whatever needs replacing can be obtained quickly. I've been told by my mechanic that some parts are delayed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts