Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chevy debuted the City Express at Chicago today, a real Transit Connect competitor from Chevy. However its effectiveness is doubtful considering the NV200 its based on has never taken a sizable dent out of Transit Connect.

Power comes from a 2.0 4 cylinder making 131 hp and 139 lb-fts, CVT box.

n the back of the van, 122.7 cubic feet of cargo space is accessible along with twenty integrated cargo-mounting points throughout the interior and six floor-mounted D-rings help to secure any cargo. Chevy boasts that a full size 40” x 48” pallet can fit in the back.
payload capacity of 1,500 lbs.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how does it compare to the transit? looks small.. and underpowered.. and there is a cvt..
it compares to the transit connect. the TC outsold the NV by something like 30,000 units last year. the NV didnt even crack 10000 units moved if I'm remembering correct...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Its a good looking van although that is the least of my concerns when it comes to this type of vehicle. I think it mostly comes down to comfort and ease of use. You've gotta take it for a test drive to really know.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would like to see something from GM about a future large van &, or, revisions to the existing Express/Savanna. They have a good van, how about installing the new powertrains from the Silverado 1500?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the City Express is a stop gap until they can dev their own small van. As for Full size there was a rumor they were going to share the Peugeot Boxer (which is a FIAT Ducato, which is a RAM promaster) but I'm not sure if that is still going down with GM selling off their stake in Peugeot...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Why would Chevy come out with a full size van that is exactly the same as the Promaster van which they also own? Would there be anything different about it when compared to the Promaster? Will it just be the looks?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Why would Chevy come out with a full size van that is exactly the same as the Promaster van which they also own? Would there be anything different about it when compared to the Promaster? Will it just be the looks?
I never knew Chevy and Ram are one company or under the same company?

I thought Fiat owned all of Chrysler which Ram falls under.

And then GM which Chevy is under.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Fiat own Promaster, expect GM to either import or build a version of the Vauxhall Movano/Renault Master if sales of Transits and Promasters kick off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think the City Express is a stop gap until they can dev their own small van.
GM is launching it's new Vivaro in Europe this summer, which supposedly has far less in common with the Renault Trafic as the old model did.

So might the Vivaro become a larger Chevy?

·
Registered
539 Posts
one thing i noticed about all those cargo vans mentioned that are sold in eastern parts of the world is that they all tend to look similar to eachother

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GM is launching it's new Vivaro in Europe this summer, which supposedly has far less in common with the Renault Trafic as the old model did.

So might the Vivaro become a larger Chevy?
I'm not sure if the Vivaro would be big enough to compete with 3500 transits and PM's but the Vivaro has been seen tooling around NA undergong some kind of testing...

Spied: An Opel Vivaro In Canada | GM Authority

Part of the Reason GM went with NV as the base for City Express is the NV is already federalized for N.A sales...

·
Registered
216 Posts
interesting looking van
[img[http://gmauthority.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Opel-Vivaro-Spied-2-640x340.jpg[/img]

·
Registered
61 Posts
It doesn't look large enough to compete with Transit, Promaster, & Sprinter. Looks more like a 3/4 size, somewhere between Transit Connect & Transit size.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It doesn't look large enough to compete with Transit, Promaster, & Sprinter. Looks more like a 3/4 size, somewhere between Transit Connect & Transit size.
They're bigger than NV200 and Transit Customs, but quite a lot smaller than Sprinters/Ducatos/Transits.

Big sellers in Europe, and not prone to rust as Mercedes and Transits tend to be.

·
Registered
5 Posts
one thing i noticed about all those cargo vans mentioned that are sold in eastern parts of the world is that they all tend to look similar to eachother
More often than not because they all are the same.

Mercedes Sprinter is the same as Volkswagen LT

Vauxhall Vivaro is the same as Nissan Primastar and Renault Traffic

Vauxhall Movano and Nissan NV400 are clones of Renault Master

Mercedes Citan is a rebadged Renault Kangoo, which is also a Nissan Kubistar

Fiat Ducato is the same van as a Peugeot Boxer, Promaster and a Citroen Relay

Only Ford seem to go it alone, that said the engine in a Transit is a the same as that of the Ducato - or Ram Promaster.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
More often than not because they all are the same.

Mercedes Sprinter is the same as Volkswagen LT

Vauxhall Vivaro is the same as Nissan Primastar and Renault Traffic

Vauxhall Movano and Nissan NV400 are clones of Renault Master

Mercedes Citan is a rebadged Renault Kangoo, which is also a Nissan Kubistar

Fiat Ducato is the same van as a Peugeot Boxer, Promaster and a Citroen Relay

Only Ford seem to go it alone, that said the engine in a Transit is a the same as that of the Ducato - or Ram Promaster.
which engine is that and who supplies it?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts