Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a diesel heater to my van. In cold weather the fuel pump stops working. You know because it stops making noise. Then get error code 08. Above freezing works fine. The entire system is out side the van except the heater itself,which is just behind the drivers seat. I left the tank on my ladder(left rear door) ran the fuel into the van just behind the wheel well. Fuel pump is also inside van. Still the fuel pump stops below 28 or so. I have added diesel additive as well. I don't want to put tank in the van if I don't have to. What other options do I have? Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Where are you and/or where did you buy the fuel? Diesel 1 or diesel 2 (on road)? How old is the fuel?

Typical winter blends are advertised to remain gel-free to 10 above; many, many national fleets with lots of expensive trucks depend on that. I wouldn’t consider using an additive until -10 unless I had less than a third of a tank, the truck would not be moved for a few days or was otherwise not able to run the engine.

I have heard, anecdotally (no links or references), bunk heaters don’t like additives. Any info in supplied literature?

I can’t imagine that fuel purchased anywhere would gel at 28 but, in a small quantity under your particular circumstances, who knows?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live in North Carolin, but have been in winter park Colorado for 2 weeks Happened once in NC .went to station where bought.They only use one blend. Drained tank bought fuel supposedly the winter blend. Was told you could dilute the diesel with10 percent Kero with no problems. My thought was that the volume of fuel moving through the pump is so small any amount of gelling causes a problem. Never had problems in my diesel F 250.

Yakamitic: 08 reads voltage issue. Battery meter says otherwise.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a Chinese diesel heater in my pond shed, another at my parent's cabin and a 3rd waiting for our van.
08 being voltage makes sense for a temperature issue (batteries perform poorer at lower temps) Not sure where your measuring (battery terminals may very well be 12.something+) but at the actual unit's likely far less due to the wires used. Barely below freezing's likely just the threshold for your under voltage? How old's your battery and what's the wiring like?

FWIW: I burn 90% to 100% kero (occasionally adding diesel for lower cost) while my parents run 100% Jet A. The theory these pumps need diesel for lubrication I think is bunk. (my 2 cents)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Jeff West. I used 12 have wire less than 6 feet from dues box. House battery is good (I think). A little scared about straight kero.
To sum up my options. Run more kero or move the fuel tank into van.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am now back in NC. After moving the fuel tank into van the heater worked like a champ. I call it fixed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts