Ford Transit USA Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· FordTransitUSAForum.com Vendor
132 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Thanks for joining us and sharing pictures of your Transit - it looks beautiful! You'll find some interesting info on this forum. If you haven't found what you're looking for, feel free to post a question. If you have knowledge that someone else is looking for, feel free to share!

· Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
May have seen that blue Dodge 40 years ago?

.​

Three decades ago for the Mopar. Four decades ago it would have been a Germain air cooled outfit.

.​

.​

Time passes by ...

.​

.​

· Registered
185 Posts
In that case I may have seen that VW MicroBus 40 years ago?

Had a girlfriend who owned a MicroBus that we traveled quite a bit in. Then worked at a sculpture studio & rebuilt an older MicroBus for the owner.

However was a SAAB & Citroen fan & FWD advocate. Wanted a Citroen C35 or Fiat 242 badly 35 years ago. Hence my interest in Ram ProMaster, Citroen Jumper, Fiat Ducato.

If Ford USA hadn't abandoned Transit's popular FWD platform I'd already be driving one.

Many Americans still don't know European Transits offered choice of FWD, RWD, or AWD & only came w/6 speed manual tranny.

· Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Americans still don't know

.​

I'll admit to having cravings for one of those 4WD diesel Tacomas from over there. This year it was time for a change and I was ready for a van. Saw the 6 speed like I had in the '10 F150, that they had gotten away from the old truck frame and I took a chance on the 3.5 EB. I can work through the Mickey Mouse issues on ol' "Aqualung". It makes a dandy steel tent as it is. Now ... if I only had that roof hatch and second floor porch, I wouldn't have to get sand on my feet when I want to take a quick roadside photo shoot.

~dwb~

.​

PS - We probably have crossed paths somewhere over the last 40 years.

.​

.​

· Registered
185 Posts
Just sold my F150 4X4 in May. Thought I'd learn to love it, but almost as soon as I got it they closed the beach South to Matanzas Inlet to vehicles. Had planned to fish & gig there, was extremely disappointed that a few 4WD freaks ruined it for all by churning through the Off Limits bird nesting area.

A pickup is miserable for cross country trips for somebody accustomed to a Steel Tent.

Normal fisherman seldom bothered any birds & rarely left more than tire tracks that got erased during high tides twice each day.

Was also getting interested in Diesel. But almost as soon as I began to seriously consider it, I started reading the horror stories about Diesel Exhaust Fluid & the big delays caused by its mandate. Even though I now know much of the harshest criticism of urea was overblown, the rants about "piss" put me off the hunt.

PS: What kind of boat? Almost see the lines of a McKee.

· Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
they closed the beach South to Matanzas Inlet

.​

Tomorrow got here Yesterday and is Gone Forever, but not for good.

"The only thing constant in life is change."​

That's why we need homes we can wear on our backs, so we can keep moving on.​

.​

.​

"The Barracuda" is a '67 Boston Whaler Nauset ...

"According to Whaler's records, serial number 36986 was built in our old Rockland, MA factory as a 16'7" Bare Hull model and was originally shipped out on 7/21/67. Sorry, no details on the original dealer back then. The Bare Hull information from a 60's brochure states that the Bare hull weighed about 500lbs, while yours had 545lbs listed as the hull weight in our records."

Just a coincidence, but it was made the same year that white VW bus was.

.​

¿Quién sabe? Maybe in a few decades these transits will be collectors items.​

.​

· Registered
185 Posts
Boston Whaler Nauset? Is that a precursor to Montauk?

Am on my 3rd McKee boat. Have older blue interior 17' Offshoreman.

They even closed the beach access to Matanzas Inlet at SE corner of bridge. Remember the runway next to MiCasa at end of parking area?

Then Mother Nature breached the barrier beach & filled in most of the Summerhaven River. This after they threw everybody out between 2nd & 3rd bridges. Used to gig down one side wade across & gig back the other side. Couldn't believe FDOT rebuild that bridge over dry sand. Even the park on Rattlesnake is almost useless to fish now. Vanishing access.

· Registered
257 Posts
No cutting and mostly a clean run except for some of the OEM wiring. View from underneath ...

Wonderful idea!

Thanks for all the parts information and photos. I think this is a viable way of ventilating our Transits while keeping the cutting to a minimum.

Speaking of which, did you have to cut any holes in the pillars for your duct work?

Does the duct work exit on top of the doors or though the rectangular holes on the side?

Lastly, are you thinking that this airflow will primarily be intake or exhaust?

I will share my progress with the forum as I go down a similar path. Keep up the good work!

Rick

· Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
ventilating

.​

Rick,

There is a little more info over on the conversions post ... custom interior ...

.​

1. did you have to cut any holes in the pillars
  2. does the duct work exit on top of the doors or though the rectangular holes on the side
  3. airflow will primarily be intake or exhaust

.​

1. No cutting, but there was a little drilling to mount the "blastgates".
  2. I ran the 3" flex vent out at the top of the pillar due to the "blower box" construction.
  3. The current setup will do either or both from either side.

.​

As I mentioned in the other post, It might do more good as a passive airflow portal. I had a fan blowing in from the slider door while I was under mounting the blastgate and was surprised at how much air was getting channeled out through the pillar. I looked at three different sources for the three inch flex vent: auto heaters, wood shop dust collection systems and RV "sanitary lines". Based on 20/20 hindsight, I'd probably use the 3" RV flex tube (a little stronger and no wire support).

.​

I "sealed" the side near the exhaust and drive with both blastgates closed. There is fiberglass pool screen mounted between the lip of the gate and the flex hose. It currently looks like this ...

.​

Click ...

.​
Enjoy the journey & the ride,
Darrell

.​

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.