Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BEMM says there are charging points under the hood to charge the batteries, and says they are shown in the OM. I have not been able to find that info in my OM. The closest I can think of is the OM shows where to connect for a jump start. Would those points be the same for connecting a battery charger ?

Looking for recommendations for a small hand held battery jumper. Like what tow truck drivers now use. There are a bunch of them on Amazon, but does anyone have any recommendations about any they have used ?

Thanks

Semper Fi

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Connections under the hood for jumping the battery are the same for charging it.
suitcase,

Thanks, where did you find that ?

Semper Fi

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone charged batteries like "suitcase " said, or found where it is posted in OM ?
Thanks

Semper Fi

·
Registered
648 Posts
Anyone charged batteries like "suitcase " said, or found where it is posted in OM ?
Thanks

Semper Fi
Yeah, mine sits a lot, so I periodically put a charger on it using under-hood connection points. I use the positive connection point and attach the ground side to the engine block because it's closer than the one by the hood hinge.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Yes, charger points are in the OM.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
aargh! You want me to work!

Look in your OM index under Jump Starting. For my 2017 OM, it's page 185.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
aargh! You want me to work!

Look in your OM index under Jump Starting. For my 2017 OM, it's page 185.
Eiko,

That's one of the many places in the OM I have read and re read. Still haven't found where it says anything about charging a battery like the BEMM says the OM states. A couple of members have said they use those spots, so I'll have to go with that. Thanks for looking though.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
If you can jump the car through those posts, then they are direct connections to the battery. You can charge through them. They're the same as removing the seat and hooking up your charger to the battery terminals. Just with intervening wire and less hassle.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I would just hook it to the CCP, Then the charger stays inside out of the weather.
Apart from the 60 amp fuse the CCP is a direct connection to the Transit battery.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Something to remember, batteries, wiring etc are not in the original places in my Transit and a lot of things that might be easy for others are not accessible for me. The negative connection in the engine compartment is next to impossible for me, actually it is impossible. Just getting the engine compartment open is a pain, so before I can do anything I have to be able to insure I won't screw something else up by trying to do something myself.

Semper Fi

Reactions: Michael Ophus

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hook the charger up under the hood or directly to the batteries. Not through the CCP. Call the tech line in the bemm or deltran battery tender Corporation. They will tell you the same.

·
Registered
179 Posts
To answer the other half of your question, I use the NOCO Genius 5 for charging, maintaining and reconditioning batteries. I like it very much as its small and provides enough amps for my applications which are mainly tractor and van/truck batteries.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I was just wondering about the charging thing. Our 2019 Transit has only 1300 miles, and we're storing it in the garage over the winter. I start it every 4-6 weeks to keep things working properly, and did so in January. When I went to do this over the weekend, I found that the battery was D-E-A-D...so much so that even the LED cargo lamps wouldn't light up. I tried jumping it via the terminal under the hood (and negative on the hinge bolt, as per the OM), and that didn't work. The dash lights just flashed angrily at me when I turned the key...no engine turnover whatsoever. I'm going to have to have it towed into the dealership this week. I have no idea what caused this, but I'm not a happy camper at the moment.

I do own a charger, but want to leave it in its current state for the dealer to inspect.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I tried jumping it via the terminal under the hood (and negative on the hinge bolt, as per the OM), and that didn't work. The dash lights just flashed angrily at me when I turned the key...no engine turnover whatsoever.
1x1,

Call the Ford roadside assistance, have them come out and jump it and ask the tow driver about it.
If your dash lights flashed and you couldn't get it to start, evidently there wasn't enough juice to jump it.
Last time I called the roadside assistance a very knowledgable tow driver explained what was going on, thus my question about portable jumpers like they use. If you take it in to dealership, plan on it being gone for a day. It takes them hours to test each battery separately (from experience). Tow driver will be able to tell you if battery is charging and alternator working properly.
All of the above based on multiple experiences.

Semper Fi

Reactions: 1x1_Speed_Craig

·
Registered
140 Posts
I was just wondering about the charging thing. Our 2019 Transit has only 1300 miles, and we're storing it in the garage over the winter. I start it every 4-6 weeks to keep things working properly, and did so in January. When I went to do this over the weekend, I found that the battery was D-E-A-D...so much so that even the LED cargo lamps wouldn't light up. I tried jumping it via the terminal under the hood (and negative on the hinge bolt, as per the OM), and that didn't work. The dash lights just flashed angrily at me when I turned the key...no engine turnover whatsoever. I'm going to have to have it towed into the dealership this week. I have no idea what caused this, but I'm not a happy camper at the moment.

I do own a charger, but want to leave it in its current state for the dealer to inspect.
Starting it isn't enough to charge the battery, takes more voltage to start it than what it can replenish.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
I have to make about a 10 mile drive about every 10 days to keep mine charged up, This has worked for 4 years.
My Transit has no options (Base vehicle) and if it sits for 2 weeks the battery will be too weak to start it.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Yes these seem pretty power hungry even when off. I charge mine regularly as it sits for the winter.

I don't know if this applies to you but when my van was a year old the battery quit. It was right after a winter of storage, - mine was so dead I got zero response of any kind. You might wanna check battery voltage - I was at 3 volts which to me indicated I needed a new battery.

Ford did pick it up and give me a new battery under warranty.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts