Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Transit 250 Cargo
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed aftermarket DRL's. Hooked up to + in engine bay..all working great as they turn on with ignition.
PROBLEM has emerged that when i do a trickle charge with my CTEK, the DRL's light up.

Is there a way to isolate and still power the DRL's without them being attached to that charging point ?..

Or is there a simple way to trickle charge the battery under the front seat? I was thinking is there with some way to use extension cables from the battery terminals so I can attach the CTEK clamps ? I realize these "extension cables" would have to be protected or "de energized to prevent an accidental "shock"....any ideas?

·
Registered
38 Posts
2 ideas. 1) unhook the drls from the engine bay + terminal when trickle charging. 2) ctek does make a cable extension. You could use ctek’s ring terminal attachments for the underseat battery and add ctek’s cable extension.

·
Registered
2017 Transit 250 Cargo
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ajchien...#1 kind of a pain every time you want to do a trickle [email protected] same result with under seat battery as on engine bay charging points...going to have to get the DRL's on a switch or something...Thanks for the thoughts though..

·
Registered
38 Posts
FWIW, You’re the first person I’ve ever heard of putting drls directly onto the main positive terminal. But then, I’m in the US, not many drls here.

I guess I’m surprised the drls didn’t come with any instructions or a help line to call on their preferred circuit to tap into? I’m also a little uninformed, i had thought all Canadian vehicles had drls in them already.

·
Registered
2017 Transit 250 Cargo
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gave this whole thing another thought..
When i first got the Transit, ( US source I thought ) , I was not aware of the DRL function..My mistake..wanted DRLs so my friend an electric tech wired them up to the ignition. Actually, I wanted nothing more than extra lights for the long dark winters. Should have told him that. Re thinking this now with the trickle charge issue, I will have to get him to put the after market "DRL's" just on a switch....like regular off road lights sort of..

·
Super Moderator
2,845 Posts
I helped a friend install a Trigger 6 Shooter system in his Jeep's engine compartment, it allows for wireless switching without the need to run wires to the cab. They also have a simple bluetooth relay you can turn on and off from your phone:

·
Registered
2017 Transit 250 Cargo
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WOW...thanks Drew...that might be the answer I am looking for. Will check it out....Thanks again sir!

·
Registered
2017 Transit 250 Cargo
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Solved the mystery..the DRL's had an option to disconnect during charging...DUH..reread their instructions boy!

·
Registered
2017 Transit 250 Cargo
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AS in my profession back in the day, often times the "clue" was right there in front of you..can't see the forest for the trees..!!

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I like how you often see DRL cars driving around with only one headlight. (USA)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts