Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 250 diesel has been making a groaning, or howling noise at low speeds while turning since new. It's coming from the rear end.

Naturally, first the dealer said "We can't hear it" and then upon insisting, they said "we hear it, but we don't know what it is".

Anyway, to my knowledge there's no interval for the gear oil. I decided to get a quote from a different dealer to do the fuel filter and the gear oil. They specified 3L of 75 140 synthetic gear lube, and quoted 114.00$ for the oil. YEAH RIGHT! I got Lucas Oil Synthetic 75/140 for 10 bucks a litre from my local Conoco-Phillips distributor.

I'm thinking of just doing this my self. Has anyone taken it on? I haven't looked under the truck to see if there's a drain/fill plug on the cover.

·
Registered
962 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
3,388 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spec on the Transit diffs is 75w-85
Interesting. Dealer specified 75 140. Maybe being pro-active for a work truck that is driven hard. I'm going to stick with the 140 for high temp high load situations.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
329 Posts
My 2015 250 with 3.31 LS was making grinding noise on slow speed sharp turns. Fixed under warranty.....

Noise started back up after a week and was worse. Took it back to the dealer, they contacted Ford and was told to soak the clutches in a friction modifier. So far so good after about 5,000 miles....

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Noise started back up after a week and was worse. Took it back to the dealer, they contacted Ford and was told to soak the clutches in a friction modifier. So far so good after about 5,000 miles....

Wonder if they missed that step on original repair?

It is clearly stated to do the friction modifier soak in the service manual before placing new clutch plates? >:D

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Just took a look at my van. No drain plug on the differential cover. Will be ordering this piece shortly

https://yourcovers.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=yourcovers&Product_Code=DC-ASM-9594-AC&Category_Code=2

The Lucas Oil Synthetic Gear Lube has the friction modifier in it already.

I'm going to start changing the gear oil ever two or three oil changes. Cheap insurance IMO.
For $195 I can get real creative with a pipe coupling and a plug for less than $5.

Or get a B&M drain plug kit.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I recoup most of the cost by doing the change myself, and getting a deep discount on the oil. Plus i can't weld that well, and I don't have time to pull the cover and have someone do a drain and fill plug for me.

I also like the cooling capabilities of the finned aluminum cover, and the extra half quart of oil can't hurt either.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Wonder if they missed that step on original repair?

It is clearly stated to do the friction modifier soak in the service manual before placing new clutch plates? >:D

I assume they didn’t bother checking the service manual. That would have been too easy. Not sure where all these ASE Certified Ford mechanics are. ****, they couldn’t even do a tire rotation properly. You think it would be pretty easy. They made 3 mistakes on my rotation.

1- didn’t rotate tires per the manual (again, I guess that would be too easy to check).

2- didn’t reset my pressure sensors (did that myself).

3-stated they put 49 psi in the front when it was actually 65 psi.

Makes me wonder if they actually know how to properly lift a Transit. My guess would be no.

Either way, my warranty’s up so I’m done with those idiots.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Seems like no dealers have a clue how to service these vans. My dealer put a nice dimple in the roof of my van, by raising it into something on the ceiling, and naturally denied that it could even happen in there shop.

Of all the issues I've had with the tranny, and rear end, they've never even checked either of those fluid levels.

The first few oil changes that I had them do, they didn't even record them in the maintenance book that THEY provided!

Never rotate tires, and have to be asked over and over to re-learn the tpms.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Anyone who hasn't checked their diff fluid should do so- my brand new 2018 was about 1/2-3/4 qt low when I checked it at 1000 miles.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Anyone who hasn't checked their diff fluid should do so- my brand new 2018 was about 1/2-3/4 qt low when I checked it at 1000 miles.
Is there a plug where you can easily check and fill Budsky? If so I'd like to use a vacuum pump to drain and fill with new oil. My van (bought used) has 100K miles on it. Thanks.

I'd also like to suck and re-fill the transmission fluid several times to replace it. I attempted to open the fill plug but it was too hard. Need to have an extender for my wrench for leverage. A project for near future I hope.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Op, maybe you can find other brand of synthetic gear oil, castrol, mobil, valvoline?

Bez,
Diffy oil is thick, if you warm it up by driving around and then it might be thin enough to suction out

I did the diffy in my chevy diesel truck last summer, it took 3.x quarts, the oil stinks, but it was night and day after that.

Budsky, how did ya check the level, pls enlighten us. Yes, most diffy's out of the factories are a mess when it comes to fluid levels.

Is it possible to drip and tap a drain plug on to the factory diffy cover?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Is there a plug where you can easily check and fill Budsky? If so I'd like to use a vacuum pump to drain and fill with new oil. My van (bought used) has 100K miles on it. Thanks.

I'd also like to suck and re-fill the transmission fluid several times to replace it. I attempted to open the fill plug but it was too hard. Need to have an extender for my wrench for leverage. A project for near future I hope.
The diff plug is on the forward left side of the diff just back and left of the drive shaft coupling. Mine isn't hard to remove. I've checked the level twice.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts