Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Catch Can

40K views 91 replies 36 participants last post by  Scotty49 
#1 · (Edited)
I have installed and used oil catch cans on several vehicles w great results. Mainly for boosted engines, but work well for the NA motors I’ve had too.

I know there are naysayers and some even can make up how it’s bad. #rollingeyes

On my Mustangs that I have tracked even Ford makes a catch can kit for them...so if bad, why would a manufacturer offer them?

Only reason not having one factory installed is need of extra maintenance. Depending on motor and use the can needs to be dumped anywhere from 2000 miles to 7500 miles.

Most of my cars and trucks I’ve been able to just dump at the oil change.

I’ve installed one on my ecoBoost Transit and in only 1000 miles (993 miles to be exact) I had one full ounce of oil in it.

My biggest thing is this is one ounce of oil I keep from building up on the back of my van. :)

Here is a link to the one I purchased.

https://www.jlttruecoldair.com/ZenC...ucts_id=1469&zenid=sng26q3pu4mcerc78hh24kvpv7

I have used this company for many years and they stand behind all their products and all made in the USA :)

...bring on the naysayers. LOL

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)

Thanks for the links Michael. The less you know about a topic, the simpler the solutions are. I know little about this so the catch can seems like an obvious solution. I tried reading the F-150 discussion but they go on for 22 pages! Never got to their discussion of the negatives of catch cans.

Snoopy, thanks for bringing this back up. I think I'll put this on my to do list too. Really, only first gen GDI engines should need the catch cans, regardless of turbo GDI or NA GDI. But I know the old NA muscle cars and NA Harley's often ran oil catch cans. The second gen GDI engines like the 2nd gen EB and Toyota's and others have direct and port injection. I know the first gen VW/Audi DI engines have had carbon buildup issues.

And this is not a problem for those who sell their cars every 4 or 5 years. Nor will it ever be a Ford warranty problem. It'll be a problem for those of us who keep their cars forever.

#23 ·
I'm definitely interested in this topic and thank you for posting your experience. Especially if it will prevent/delay having to remove the heads in the future to clean off the backs of the intake valves. I'm just not going to be doing this immediately because of the other crap I have going on.

#30 ·
I usually sell just before it needs tires. That usually coincides with warranty up. Sold my 03 F150, 07 Ridgeline, 2010 F150, and 14 Santa Fe with original tires.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk

#28 ·
A , read the comments for some background, opinions etc..
@ 700 miles on my 16 eco, my finger is hovering over the buy button at JLT....

Not so related: My first tank was a miserable 12mpg, second was creeping up to 13.6 felt some misfire, threw in some injector cleaner, (this van had been on the lot 2 years and had 150 miles on the odo) now showing 19.6MPG!! miss seems to be gone.

Vaguely related: Had an 05 Prius that I flogged mercilessly on a mail route, it started a light clatter under load at 180K (not unusual for that motor) conjecture was carbon build up in the cylinder caused valves to kiss carbon on piston crown. Cobbled up a temporary water injection set up. Took it up a long steep hill to keep the motor running hard and forced through a 1/2 cup of water. knocking cured, last seen running fine, still on a mail route at 240 K miles.
I suspect ocasional water injection might be enough to loosen carbon deposits from intake valves. Sounds like any spray it in the intake hydrocarbon based cleaners could take out turbos or cats. Not a fun thought.

Reactions: sochel
#31 ·
I tend to buy from the guys who trade at end of warranty. :D The best miles per $ part of car ownership. This time around a new one at a big discount that had just what I wanted fit the bill. It could easily be my last van, about 10-13 years, 150K miles when the salt tax is past due, is my usual selling point.

Reactions: jonsobi
#43 ·
#56 ·
There could be, but in my experience with my cars and trucks with them, the passenger side really catches the bulk.

On my EcoBoost and on my naturally aspirated vehicles.
I also have Orton’s question. What is the reason for the passenger side needing one and the driver side not needing one? Does the PCV valve only empty into the passenger-side intake? Does anyone have scientific evidence that using a catch can actually reduces the carbon buildup on the intake valves?

Thanks!

#42 ·
I had the pass side one on my 2017 an it worked awesome and caught lots of oil, it will do the same on my 2018.

Well worth it in my opinion and haven’t seen a “major” need on the drivers side on other ecoboost motors in Mustangs or F150...so I’m good with it.

#47 ·
I have installed and used oil catch cans on several vehicles w great results. Mainly for boosted engines, but work well for the NA motors I’ve had too.

I know there are naysayers and some even can make up how it’s bad. #rollingeyes

On my Mustangs that I have tracked even Ford makes a catch can kit for them...so if bad, why would a manufacturer offer them?

Only reason not having one factory installed is need of extra maintenance. Depending on motor and use the can needs to be dumped anywhere from 2000 miles to 7500 miles.

Most of my cars and trucks I’ve been able to just dump at the oil change.

I’ve installed one on my ecoBoost Transit and in only 1000 miles (993 miles to be exact) I had one full ounce of oil in it.

My biggest thing is this is one ounce of oil I keep from building up on the back of my van. :)

Here is a link to the one I purchased.

JLT PERFORMANCE - Home of the JLT TRUE COLD AIR KIT

I have used this company for many years and they stand behind all their products and all made in the USA :)

...bring on the naysayers. LOL

anyone have an install the diesel version? have a 2015 diesel and want to install a catch can still trying to figure out where to tie it in. after pcv valve and before the intake

#48 ·
Installed JLT catchcan on new ‘19 350hd 3.5EB. Learned after My daughters VW was throwing injector error codes. Took to dealership mechanic was very experienced. Took off topend and showed me valves. They were covered in 1/4” of oilgunk. Said it was blowback. Researched catchcans. For those interested took 3min to install. Outlined in red. Basically you unscrew can and empty blow-by oil caught. Asked obvious question why not installed by factory? Response given was typical customers barely change oil cant trust them to empty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.