Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have installed and used oil catch cans on several vehicles w great results. Mainly for boosted engines, but work well for the NA motors I’ve had too.

I know there are naysayers and some even can make up how it’s bad. #rollingeyes

On my Mustangs that I have tracked even Ford makes a catch can kit for them...so if bad, why would a manufacturer offer them?

Only reason not having one factory installed is need of extra maintenance. Depending on motor and use the can needs to be dumped anywhere from 2000 miles to 7500 miles.

Most of my cars and trucks I’ve been able to just dump at the oil change.

I’ve installed one on my ecoBoost Transit and in only 1000 miles (993 miles to be exact) I had one full ounce of oil in it.

My biggest thing is this is one ounce of oil I keep from building up on the back of my van. :)

Here is a link to the one I purchased.

https://www.jlttruecoldair.com/ZenC...ucts_id=1469&zenid=sng26q3pu4mcerc78hh24kvpv7

I have used this company for many years and they stand behind all their products and all made in the USA :)

...bring on the naysayers. LOL

·
Registered
3,406 Posts

Thanks for the links Michael. The less you know about a topic, the simpler the solutions are. I know little about this so the catch can seems like an obvious solution. I tried reading the F-150 discussion but they go on for 22 pages! Never got to their discussion of the negatives of catch cans.

Snoopy, thanks for bringing this back up. I think I'll put this on my to do list too. Really, only first gen GDI engines should need the catch cans, regardless of turbo GDI or NA GDI. But I know the old NA muscle cars and NA Harley's often ran oil catch cans. The second gen GDI engines like the 2nd gen EB and Toyota's and others have direct and port injection. I know the first gen VW/Audi DI engines have had carbon buildup issues.

And this is not a problem for those who sell their cars every 4 or 5 years. Nor will it ever be a Ford warranty problem. It'll be a problem for those of us who keep their cars forever.

·
Registered
677 Posts
... Really, only first gen GDI engines should need the catch cans, regardless of turbo GDI or NA GDI. But I know the old NA muscle cars and NA Harley's often ran oil catch cans. ...
Boost, generally speaking, will increase crankcase pressure and therefore potentially increase the oil misting issue. But, yes, the bigger issue is direct injection and the lack of fuel mist to wash down the intake plumbing. As to old muscle cars and especially Harleys, we're talking about very loose engines with lots of blow-by. You'd be having to pour the gasoline directly down the carburetor(s) to get enough of a wash for that. ;)

I'm working it out in my head whether the 3.7 will benefit. It's a "modern" engine so is going to be fairly tight, and is not GDI, as opposed to the 3.5. Our Hondas - light, tight modern engines - are approaching 200K and I see no issues with intake carbon, so by extension question whether I need to spend the money for a catch can on a vehicle I hope to keep for 15-20 years.

(I wish I had known about catch cans on my old VWs. Notorious for carbon buildup, especially around the valve seals. Could'a saved me a lot of work.)

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does driver side also need a catch can?

Typically on most vehicles the passenger side has the most, something to do with the airflow from the crankcase I think.

Even on my 700+ HP supercharged car I always had quite a bit more on the passenger side.

·
Registered
400 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the links Michael. The less you know about a topic, the simpler the solutions are. I know little about this so the catch can seems like an obvious solution. I tried reading the F-150 discussion but they go on for 22 pages! Never got to their discussion of the negatives of catch cans.

Snoopy, thanks for bringing this back up. I think I'll put this on my to do list too. Really, only first gen GDI engines should need the catch cans, regardless of turbo GDI or NA GDI. But I know the old NA muscle cars and NA Harley's often ran oil catch cans. The second gen GDI engines like the 2nd gen EB and Toyota's and others have direct and port injection. I know the first gen VW/Audi DI engines have had carbon buildup issues.

And this is not a problem for those who sell their cars every 4 or 5 years. Nor will it ever be a Ford warranty problem. It'll be a problem for those of us who keep their cars forever.

No idea about carbon buildup. The way I drive I don’t I’ll have carbon buildup. LOL

I just don’t like the crap on the back doors or back of my vehicles, the plus is a cleaner engine IMO.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for sharing the link. I'm glad they make a kit specific to the transit, because I had planned on making one myself. Just ordered!

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
No idea about carbon buildup. The way I drive I don’t I’ll have carbon buildup. LOL
I meant the usual carbon buildup on the back of the intake valves. Not sure high speed running will reduce or eliminate that. I bet the opposite can make it worse.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I am still debating weep hole or catch can for my ecoboosts?
Why not do both? I'm not clear where that oily residue in the intercooler is coming from. Unless you have coolant/oil leaks in your turbo compressor section. Any PCV air/oil should be injected into the intake manifold after the intercooler.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Why not do both? I'm not clear where that oily residue in the intercooler is coming from. Unless you have coolant/oil leaks in your turbo compressor section. Any PCV air/oil should be injected into the intake manifold after the intercooler.
Ecoboost is a lot like a diesel and I have owned and wrenched on dozens, no way to overcome the pressure of boost with Crankcase pressure, and inject the goo after the turbo, all my diesels injected before the turbo and the goo goes through the entire induction system.

The more I think about it, the more I like the small hole, no maintenance required.

Reactions: Eiko

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
perhaps i shared the wrong links, but in past threads people made convincing arguments that this only applies to older engine models and not the current one.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts