Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greets all! We have a 2019 Transit with a dealer installed cargo bulkhead that makes fork loading pallets from the side almost impossible. In contract our 2014 Sprinter and its factory bulkhead offer nearly 10" more opening. Looking the the Ford's bulkhead it seems significant rear travel on the seats would be lost if it were flush with the B-pillar. Has anyone else experienced the shortcoming? Do any here have experience with bulkheads that are less intrusive? We need something to protect our drivers in case of accident (we're an industrial supply, so heavy stuff) but often have to use the Sprinter in place of the Transit on some routes due to being unable to sideload pallets of product.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Depending on how the cargo was packed on the pallet you could use an Offset bulkhead, There would be plenty of room for the pallet itself to load.
The one in the Link has enough room to slide the seat all the way back and has almost full Recline.

They have one without the window that is about $200 dollars cheaper.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately the pallets are between 4 and 5 feet tall (86 cases of bottled water or 9 courses of welding wire) plus enough lift clearance to get it in the vehicle. As the fleet manager I much prefer the Transit over the Sprinter but this will likely doom any future purchases. Hard to believe Ford was shortsighted in this respect and also don't offer a factory option in the US like MB.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Seats do not necessarily HAVE to recline fully unless you want drivers taking naps after lunch. What about having a sheet metal fab shop build something for you? I've had that done for some of my vans at another company years ago when we ran into an issue. We just set the seats into a comfortable position and the metal shop built around them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I went with a Sterling Outfitters Straight Walk-through bulkhead in my 2018. Its pretty much right against the seat, maybe an inch or two gap in my normal driving position (I'm 5'11 and prefer a more upright driving position) would be no issues loading a pallet through the side slider.

Colin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts