Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Cargo Area Lighting & Switch

84K views 108 replies 52 participants last post by  alpinelakes 
#1 ·
For those people on here that are still looking for a simple solution to the Transit cargo area lights that stay on for an extended period when any door is open, and that have no way to turn them off like the cab dome light has…here is the solution that I came up with.
I didn’t want to have to open up the main trunk of wires going into the cargo area to try to find the cargo area light wiring to put a switch in the cargo area. I wasn’t comfortable with messing with those wires back there…too many wires to make a mistake with!

While changing out my cargo area LED’s, I accidently touched one of the light socket contacts to the van’s metal framing, and blew the cargo area light fuse. So, getting into owner’s manual, and fuse box under the dash, to the right side of the steering wheel, I discover that there is a different fuse for the cargo area lights, and the cab area dome/map lights. So, a light comes on in my head….pardon the pun!...Why not put a simple little switch right there near the fuse box for the cargo area lights? So I got the parts as shown in my pictures, with a little bit of 16g wiring and made a fusible linked switch from my fuse box to little rocker switch right there near my fuse box. I looked into putting it more up on the dash, but it looked too difficult to get it into the dash and run the wires…my big hands couldn’t reach up much higher in the dash, and I am fine with it right where it is. I hardly ever even have that switch on, because I work out of my van during the day, and don’t need those lights burning during the day when I have the doors open.

The fuse socket connector kit from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TCXOTW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The mini fuse link…from Walmart…yes Walmart! The auto parts stores only carried a 12g fuse link, which was a heavier wire than needed.
The rocker switch (came in a 2 pack only) from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E1L7P3Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
16 gauge wire with .25 connectors and barrel splice connector came from an electrician friend.

And BTW, the Amazon LED’s I got are the brightest, LED’s I have ever seen…they light up the cargo area like daylight at night! …LUYED 33smd error free LED’s…link below.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0177C3AZ0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} </style> <![endif]-->

Attachments

See less See more
#47 ·
I have the kill switch at the left rear of my 2019. I use the sliding door the most, so I have to climb over my bike or go around back and open the back doors to get to it. I'd like to move it but I have a few weekends of bike(3) maintenance to finish. I'd like to put it where I can reach it from the right rear door and the sliding door.

#48 ·
It's doable. You would probably have to cut into your factory wiring harness to make it happen. For me 100,000 mile warranty. Ain't gonna' happen'. The basic "fuse kill switch" is pretty easy to make go bye, bye if the need arises. It's pretty handy for me this far. There's some folks that have tapped into the system.

#50 ·
For those people on here that are still looking for a simple solution to the Transit cargo area lights that stay on for an extended period when any door is open, and that have no way to turn them off like the cab dome light has…here is the solution that I came up with.

I didn’t want to have to open up the main trunk of wires going into the cargo area to try to find the cargo area light wiring to put a switch in the cargo area. I wasn’t comfortable with messing with those wires back there…too many wires to make a mistake with!

The fuse socket connector kit from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TCXOTW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The mini fuse link…from Walmart…yes Walmart! The auto parts stores only carried a 12g fuse link, which was a heavier wire than needed.
The rocker switch (came in a 2 pack only) from Amazon: Amazon.com: AESTHING Handmade Preserved Fresh Flower Rose, Upscale Immortal Flowers, Gifts Women, Her, Sister, Girls, Aunt, Mother's Day,Valentine's Day, Anniversary, Birthday, Wedding (Red): Automotive
16 gauge wire with .25 connectors and barrel splice connector came from an electrician friend.
I just finished doing (basically) this mod to our Transit. I used the fuse socket connector switch linked above (thanks for the link!), a Blue Sea inline fuse holder I already had, and one of Hein's/DIY Van's dashboard switch adapters/switches. I'm definitely looking forward to being able to leave the interior/cargo lights off most of the time.

Craig

#52 · (Edited)
I did mine years ago now but looking at this thread reminded me to this day I couldn’t be happier.

Wish I’d done it sooner to be honest would have made the build easier to not fight that timer.

I’ve got my lights separate , couple of the stock LED’s as loading lights above the rear door by the roof fan and then 8 other LED lights set up on a controllable dimmer.

I’ve got all the lights , fan , stereo , inverter and 12 volt plugs running off a separate set of batteries so there is no threat of any drain on the Vans dual AGM’s.

#54 ·
Hey guys..so I got the fuse #32 mini inline fuse adapter to a switch and can turn the cargo lights on and off..THANKS..

BUT..how come the LED in the 4 prong switch does not light up? Any ideas for us electrically challenged? I currently have the 2 wires from the inline fuse going to the top and bottom prong on one side of the 4 prong LED switch from Hein...any help is appreciated

#55 ·
discover that there is a different fuse for the cargo area lights, and the cab area dome/map lights.
Hi there I’m very new here. I’ve had my van only a few weeks.
And I sure dislike those automatic cargo lights, both for the starter battery drain and sometimes I don’t want bright lights at night.
However, I’m not electrically savvy and won’t be modifying the vans wiring at this time. Is there any downside to simply pulling the fuse.

I’ll follow with an intro post and build thread soon.

#56 ·
Hi there I’m very new here. I’ve had my van only a few weeks.
And I sure dislike those automatic cargo lights, both for the starter battery drain and sometimes I don’t want bright lights at night.
However, I’m not electrically savvy and won’t be modifying the vans wiring at this time. Is there any downside to simply pulling the fuse.

I’ll follow with an intro post and build thread soon.
Another choice is to just unplug the cargo area OEM lights. On my 2015 148" WB there are two disconnects above the rear doors for each rear light and one in the loom along the driver side wall for the two center lights. I did that and reused the four lights but powered then from the house battery.

#58 ·
My rear doors lighting control is similar to what Impatient did.

One SPDT toggle switch

fed from house power (switch up) and OEM control power (switch down), middle position OFF, switching LED Puck Lights.

When the door opens, the OEM cargo light circuit is energized, puck lights are energized as desired, and remain ON until the OEM time-out control switches OFF. With the House Light Circuit energized, the puck lights can be energized without timing-out.

I found the OEM grab handles to be a good fit for my build-out. I bought three from Ebay, one installed aft of the slider door and the others each side of the rear doors.

#59 ·
Breakinwind,
2019 here as well. The only factory "kill switch" in my lwb medium roof cargo is on the lower section of the "b" pillar driver's side, rear cargo door. It's simply an off switch, that doesn't kill anything once any doors on the van are opened. When you do, boom! Bright light's right back on. I did the fuse panel, inline fuse, toggle switch to mine and rarely use the factory lighting any more. Just curious about the factory location of your original set up originally was

#63 ·
Reddog and Breaknwind....2019 EWB Med Roof here too...I just need to totally disconnect my LEDs in Cargo area...might add a switch if I'm feeling generous, but probably just want to pull the fuse and forget about mine...do either of you recall which fuse the 2019 uses for the rear cargo LED circuit? I'm tired of having to jump my van after having LEDs on (and totally covered up) while we do our build.

Separately, think I blew my front cabin fuse too...but DO want that one...and I find the manual extremely unhelpful on identifying these fuses...any idea which fuse covers the cabin area light and 12V cigarette lighter chargers?

#62 ·
Since I installed a coach battery for a few other things, like an inverter, I just ran a few wires and a couple switches and put the work lights on thier own coach circuit so they only come on when I need them, stay on when I need them to, and don't run down the main battery.

#64 ·
For our 2020 Low Roof Passenger van, all the 'cargo' ceiling lights (set into the headliner) have on/off/door switches on the fixture EXCEPT the one above the sliding side door. We removed the two bulbs from this fixture and stuck them in the glove box. Now have all lights off with doors open if desired. To remove those bulbs, pry downward with a trim tool on the fixture's plastic surrounding flange ON THE SIDE THAT FACES THE SLIDING DOOR to avoid breaking plastic tabs.

Reactions: surly Bill
#65 ·
TWIMC - I just pulled F32 from the fuse compartment under the steering wheel and can confirm that it cut power to the rear LED circuit. I have my other cargo LEDs totally covered and can't be 100% sure that it killed them too, but I have to believe the rear and other cargo area LEDs are on the same fuse, and suspect it got them all. We have a wood roof installed with other LEDs now, and simply just wanted to kill the power to the factory LEDs (and waited too late to do it any other way easily), for when we have the doors opening and closing a lot throughout the day.

#68 ·
I'm wondering what you mean by "momentary". Usually a momentary switch is either on or off only while you are holding the switch; they do not stay in the switched position when you let go. That doesn't seem like a functional way to go about the cargo area lights, because one of your hands will be tied up pressing the switch. Did you mean a switch that is depressed to click "on", stays there, and pressed again will click "off"? I use normally closed momentary switches on my elec guitars, for a manual cut in/out effect for extra pizzazz on some Adrian Belew style solo stuff.

Reactions: WayWard
#69 ·
Momentary is just like the factory switch in the back of the van. Makes a connection when you push it basically completing a connection when pressed.
Not a rocker style that stays in the on or off position.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#77 ·
I have a 2021 Cargo van. My van came with only 2 LED lights in the first ceiling rib behind the driver seat. I'm still mid-build and already have a separate house lighting system. I was looking for the switch that the manual describes for controlling the cargo lights. I've already found many inconsistencies in the owner's manual and the BEMM with regard to the real life van. I'm assuming this is just another one of these inconsistencies?

#78 · (Edited)
I have a 2021 Cargo van. My van came with only 2 LED lights in the first ceiling rib behind the driver seat. I'm still mid-build and already have a separate house lighting system. I was looking for the switch that the manual describes for controlling the cargo lights. I've already found many inconsistencies in the owner's manual and the BEMM with regard to the real life van. I'm assuming this is just another one of these inconsistencies?
That's where my 2019 Cargo has the described switch, and it was equipped with 2 LEDs in the first ceiling rib and two over the rear doors.

#82 ·
If you have the wires identified behind that cover, all you need is a momentary switch to turn the lights on/off. The system is looking for a short to ground as a signal.
I don't know what the ford part costs but I bought this multipack for around 10 bucks. Electrically functions the same.

#88 ·
Sorry for resurrecting this thread. I can't seem to reconcile the implementation everyone chose with the 2020 Transit Wiring Diagram I bought on eBay. On the diagram, it implies that White / Blue wire is +12V ? While everyone here says White / Blue is pulled to ground to turn the lights on. Look at the other side of the light ( coil symbol ) on this picture, it leads to ground symbol through BK (Black) wire. Can someone explain this please ?

Rectangle Slope Schematic Font Line

#89 ·
Sorry for resurrecting this thread. I can't seem to reconcile the implementation everyone chose with the 2020 Transit Wiring Diagram I bought on eBay. On the diagram, it implies that White / Blue wire is +12V ? While everyone here says White / Blue is pulled to ground to turn the lights on. Look at the other side of the light ( coil symbol ) on this picture, it leads to ground symbol through BK (Black) wire. Can someone explain this please ?

View attachment 168248
There are two different white/blue wires, see:
No, I don't believe so. The switch at the back doesn't have 12V. It's a momentary switch that grounds the white/blue wire when pushed, and lets it float (at somewhere around 3V) when not pushed. This is an input to the BCM, which looks for a transition of that signal (from 3V to GND and back to 3V) as a command from you to turn the other white/blue wire on (12V) or off (0V). You need to find the white/blue wire that is the 12V output of the BCM, and put an on/off switch on that. The easiest place to find it is right behind the driver seat, where there are only 2 choices of blue/white wire in the harness. Strip a small amount of insulation from one of the two, and measure the voltage with the lights on. If 12V, that's the one to cut & switch (always-off or on-via-BCM). If it's 3V or GND, check to other white/blue wire.

#90 · (Edited)
I found that the light feeding white/blue wire was thicker then the momentary switch white/blue wire.
Here is my picture of the switch installation. I was too lazy to go get heat shrink connectors, so went with regular connectors and black "liquid tape".
P_20220313_235919.jpg

Here is a close up:
Line Electrical wiring Cable Electrical supply Technology

I didn't bother to discover where it splits off, just assumed somewhere in the middle of the driver side second row window. White is the "to lights" wire (going to the rear), red is "from the ECU timed" wire (going to the front), dark red thick is "Always on 12V".

Switch mounted into the wall panel:
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design

I got it on eBay, there are various colors. I really wanted one that glows in the dark, and this was listed as LED lighted, but I think the way we are hooking it up (1 load, 2 power sources) is not how it's meant to be (2 loads, 1 power source). And both sides have to be used probably, I only connected to one column. But, it's super cheap (2 for $8), large, has a lot of color options, and a nice rubber grommet around it:
See the diagram in the 11th image of the listing.
Another good thing about this switch is it uses standard blade (1/4" ?) connectors. Those are very common at auto parts stores. And you can disconnect them easily from the switch if you need to pull the panel off completely.

WHILE YOU ARE THERE, cutting wires, find a thick purple with brown stripe wire. Connected the rear going part to your "Always On 12V". Insulate and don't use the side going to the front. Now you have the 12V socket in the very back of the van (is that a rare option ? I picked almost all of the options) always on.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Train Fixture Vehicle

PS: I am still a little concerned that the first 2 pages of this thread talk about GROUNDING the white/blue wire, while the last two pages discuss wiring it to 12V. Is that a year difference ?

Attachments

#91 · (Edited)
WHILE YOU ARE THERE, cutting wires, find a thick purple with brown stripe wire. Connected the rear going part to your "Always On 12V". Insulate and don't use the side going to the front. Now you have the 12V socket in the very back of the van (is that a rare option ? I picked almost all of the options) always on.
I don't believe an untimed, "always on 12V" was available prior to recent versions (2020+?). I have a rear 12V socket and it's timed, like the lights, to go off after 20 min.
PS: I am still a little concerned that the first 2 pages of this thread talk about GROUNDING the white/blue wire, while the last two pages discuss wiring it to 12V. Is that a year difference ?
Like you found out, there are two white/blue wires, the smaller gauge wire is the 3V "always on" that when momentarily grounded, is sensed by the BCM, which subsequently switches on the larger diameter white/blue, 12V wire for 20 min. I don't believe the Transit comes wired any other way throughout the years produced. The last two pages also, in part, give clarification on a suggestion by @HarleyHauler where he describes just wiring an on/off, SPST switch on the 12V side (which can be at the fuse) that turns the circuit off when one doesn't want the lights to function at all.

I got it on eBay, there are various colors. I really wanted one that glows in the dark, and this was listed as LED lighted, but I think the way we are hooking it up (1 load, 2 power sources) is not how it's meant to be (2 loads, 1 power source). And both sides have to be used probably, I only connected to one column. But, it's super cheap (2 for $8), large, has a lot of color options, and a nice rubber grommet around it:
The switch you used is a 6 pin DPDT which will only provide power to the switch's internal lights when toggled to one of the two "on" positions, with active power to that side (the way you wired it, one side has power always, and the other side has power for 20 min when another switch in the system is grounded, like the door switches or the manual switch at the rear door). If you want the switch rockers to be lighted continuously, you'll need a 10 pin DPDT switch which has 4 more connections for its lights, and you'll also need to wire these to an ignition-switched 12V circuit, as not to drain your battery. Here are some helpful switch diagrams:

#95 · (Edited)
Update: Back by the rear door on the left side is the switch which turns off the cargo lights and keeps them off while the doors are open. Yaahoo no need to rig a switch.....More update: This switch does not permanently turn off the cargo lights. Once the van is closed up then re opened they come back on. It's a remedy but not a cure.

#97 ·
Update: Back by the rear door on the left side is the switch which turns off the cargo lights and keeps them off while the doors are open. Yaahoo no need to rig a switch.....More update: This switch does not permanently turn off the cargo lights. Once the van is closed up then re opened they come back on. It's a remedy but not a cure.

Look into using Forscan to enable the setting on the dash to have all the lights not turn on when a door is opened or the van in unlocked. It's called Police Dark Mode and there's two settings you have to turn on and there's another setting in the Body Module that doesn't do anything.

#101 ·
I have never used Forscan. How does it work? Is it a stand alone hand held module plugging into the OBD2 connector?

I'm coming to the conclusion the FORD engineers and programmers are really dim.There are things that are genius, but lots more that are at best, amateurish. Not installing an off on switch for the interior lights was a very dim decision. Nothing says "rob me" more than to have your entire van lights, light up like a Christmas tree at night in wall-mart parking lot, and then stay lit for minutes longer while in the store. Stupid and dangerous to say the least.

#100 ·
I think there's a misunderstanding. I meant when I press the switch, the lights go off when the doors are open (which is good if you don't need lights). But after I turn off the lights using the switch, if I press it again, the lights don't come on - nothing happens - which is something you might want to do. The only way to get the lights back on is to close the door and reopen. So I was wondering why does my switch ONLY turn the lights off and not back on?