Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ford Transit Passenger, SWB Medium Roof. #VanLife #SummerVancation
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hoping some of you experts can weigh in on my electrical diagram and offer some feedback or opinions.

Aside from basic feedback and corrections, I am curious to know:

1. If I run all of the negative wires, do I still need to ground to the chassis?
2. I have a 2/0 AWG wire from the batteries (through a 200a circuit breaker) to my AC/DC circuit breaker box (i.e., distribution panel). How do I connect the 2/0 wire to the DC fuse panel? The spot for the connection doesn't look big enough to insert a 2/0 wire?? What am I missing??

Electric Layout DRAFT 1.0 - SummerVancation.jpg

Thanks in advance! :)

P.S. If it helps clarify, here is the info for the MPPT Charge Controller, Circuit Breaker Box, and Inverter that I plan to use:
Renogy DCC50S DC-DC Battery Charger with MPPT, 12V 50a
Progressive Dynamics PD5000 AC/DC Distribution Panel
Renogy 2000W Inverter Charger

·
Registered
166 Posts
You don't have to run 2/0 to your DC distribution if you don't have loads that require it. 2/0 is probably overkill for a 2k inverter as well. I'm kinda curious on the 70A breaker to the Renogy when it's output is only 50A. Your car battery negative will probably need to go to one of the ground points, unless you want to rig something up.

Grounded vs floating systems seems to be a contentious topic. Personally, I have negative busbar grounded to chassis and inverter grounded to the negative busbar.

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
697 Posts
Agreed with @sYfte : check wire gauges - and distance; where you're putting the equipment should determine the wire gauge (distance). Keep the round-trip distance in mind: ten feet away but going out and back (ground / negative) is 20' as far as amps / load is concerned. I think those Renogy MPPTs are only 20A? But that's fine for 2 x 100w panels. But just barely. 200Ah of battery with only 200w of panels? Yeah, guess that works depending on usage.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What inverter/charger do you have? Have you read the manual, many inverter manufacturers call out for a Class T fuse, I also don't think 200 amps is large enough. I don't specifically see anything wrong with 2/0 for a 2000 watt inverter, you are also covering loads on 12 volt distribution. I don't think the progressive dynamics dist panel will let you use 2/0 cable. I could not find and specs for their max current rating. In any event a smaller size cable would most likely create the need for a fuse to the dist panel. ,
The Renogy unit calls out for 75 amp fuse on input and 65 amp fuse on the output, also your breaker location should be closer to the Renogy all in one.

-greg

·
Registered
2021 Transit 148 HR
104 Posts
I'm not clear on how the 200A circuit breaker is wired. Breakers only have two connections, not three. If you put two wires on either of the studs, then you will create an unprotected path as the electricity can travel those wires without a breaker.

You probably want a separate wire from the battery to the DC distribution block with it's own fuse or breaker.

·
Registered
2021 Cargo 130" MR AWD Ecoboost
67 Posts
I agree with what was said previously. In addition I would personally wire the two solar panels in series to get a working charging voltage when the sunshine is low or angled. But your MPPT controller is not capable of handling the resulting higher voltage so I would switch to a Victron MPPT. But then you wouldn't have the alternator input so I guess you have to stay with the parallel panels and Renogy unless you want to add a separate DC-DC charger.
I use faroutride.com for the base of my learning and model.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts