Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Low pressure light came on because I forgot to add air when the weather got cold.
So I pumped up the cold tires to my preferred pressures (53/64).
The TPM light is still on.

Is there a way to turn off the light once the tires are at pressure using a rigamarole similar to that for resetting the oil change light? You know, turn the ignition on and off five times, step on and hold the brake, tap the horn, sing a Verdi aria... I know about the retraining routine where you visit each tire with an electronic button. Just trying to avoid digging out the remote.

I haven't had a chance to drive at speed yet. Maybe that suffice to turn the light off?

·
Registered
284 Posts
53 psi on the front tires on my van will trigger the light; it has on mine anyhow. It's supposed to be 57/64 according to the sticker on mine.

Try using the recommended pressures and I bet the light turns off within a few minutes of driving without doing anything other than adding air.

·
Registered
9,826 Posts
Since I put on the set of tires and rims I got from someone, I get the TPMS light after driving maybe 25-30 miles. The tires are neither low nor high psi. It just comes on, flashing like some kind of crash into the Deathstar is eminent, and then stays solid until parked overnight. I'm running 55/65.

Following this thread for insights, but I may use the electrical tape repair method.

·
Registered
2018 130" 3.5 EB
193 Posts
I use this:

I keep one in the van. You still have to retrain it but that process goes like so:

Turn on flashers three times and go to each wheel with the remote and push the button near the valve stem until training is complete.

You still need to get close to what the sticker says to avoid the light coming on.

With my bigger tires I run 50/65 and it doesn't throw the light. If I use a different gauge it can give different readings and throw the light.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yep, I have that TPMS19 device in the van. Just wondering if there’s a different song and dance that works without visiting each tire. Some mention online here and there that driving over 20 mph for a while will persuade the light to turn off. Haven’t tested that theory yet due to snow last night.

Manual gauges are fine for getting close while filling. Then I use the sensor OBD output to a Veepeak ELM327 to check final pressures with my iPhone via Bluetooth.

·
Registered
2018 130" 3.5 EB
193 Posts
Yep, I have that TPMS19 device in the van. Just wondering if there’s a different song and dance that works without visiting each tire. Some mention online here and there that driving over 20 mph for a while will persuade the light to turn off. Haven’t tested that theory yet due to snow last night.

Manual gauges are fine for getting close while filling. Then I use the sensor OBD output to a Veepeak ELM327 to check final pressures with my iPhone via Bluetooth.
Maybe it can be disabled with FORScan?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dunno. I have a obd tool that lets me cancel codes, but haven’t tried that. The Veepeak is read only, or at least the ELM327 app is. Other scanner is buried somewhere in one of three toolbags….. Hence interest in an alternative vaudeville using the just the ignition switch, brake pedal and windshield wipers or whatever.

·
Registered
2018 T250 MR 3.7L
114 Posts

Which app are you using with the Veepeak that allows tire pressure check with iOS?

·
Registered
'21 XLT MR 148 Wagon, Eco, 3:31 LSD, RWD, PSD, NAV, ACC
341 Posts
The thing that gets me......

Lets say you prefer 62 psi in the rears instead of the recommended 71.
TPMS thinks that's fine. No dash light.
Then it gets cold. Pressure drops and lights the dash warning.
You add air, say, back up to your preferred 62 psi. (and then drive around for a while...)
The dash warning light does NOT go away.

62 was OK with you before, so why not now?

Go back up to the recommended psi and it goes out immediately.
Then you can sneak it back down to the preferred 62 psi without lighting the dash warning.

So stupid Ford.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
That’s not what happened just now for my 2017 shorty short. Cold weather dropped tires to 52/42, light came on while driving. I pumped back up to 64/54 at 25F next morning. Light stayed on in the driveway, then turned itself off after I drove a block on the way out of the neighborhood. Maybe got up to 20 mph somewhere within 300 feet at most.

Although…. this may be relevant: I over pressured the fronts to 55 and fiddled back and forth between 55 and 52 a couple times before setting in at 54. Inflation and deflation with time in between each step to allow OBD2 to cycle and report may be the trick. Inserting the wait time is a side effect of using the Veepeak dongle and iOS app to monitor tire pressure instead of my approximate-at-best manual tire gauges.

For reference, door jamb sticker says 52/71.

Whatever! The light is off, the ride is different and I'm not afraid....

It's the end of the world as we know it

·
Registered
'21 XLT MR 148 Wagon, Eco, 3:31 LSD, RWD, PSD, NAV, ACC
341 Posts
That’s not what happened just now for my 2017 shorty short. Cold weather dropped tires to 52/42, light came on while driving. I pumped back up to 64/54 at 25F next morning. Light stayed on in the driveway, then turned itself off after I drove a block on the way out of the neighborhood. Maybe got up to 20 mph somewhere within 300 feet at most.

Although…. this may be relevant: I over pressured the fronts to 55 and fiddled back and forth between 55 and 52 a couple times before setting in at 54. Inflation and deflation with time in between each step to allow OBD2 to cycle and report may be the trick. Inserting the wait time is a side effect of using the Veepeak dongle and iOS app to monitor tire pressure instead of my approximate-at-best manual tire gauges.

For reference, door jamb sticker says 52/71.

Whatever! The light is off, the ride is different and I'm not afraid....

It's the end of the world as we know it
Rectangle Parallel Font Electric blue Gas

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No worries. My manual gauges are adequate to assure inflation safety. My ride is too vanilla for a tire pressure dash display. Hence the direct OBD2 readout from the TPM sensors.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts