Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Ford Transit Cargo 150 Medium Roof
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked around and was not able to find a straight answer. I am hopeful that someone here can help me out. I have a 2018 Ford Transit 150. It has the stock (I think) plastic seats. The driver side has the right side adjustable armrest. I want to know if I can simply switch the two seats because the driver side seat is not nearly as comfortable as the passenger side because it has gotten a lot more use. It looks like I can switch the seats as they look identical aside from the armrest. I can deal without having that armrest if I must. Though, if that can be switched over too that would be awesome. I know there are some wires connected under the seats and so that is a big concern of mine. Can I disconnect these wires and then reattach them on the seats? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for any time or consideration anyone gives this post.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I can't answer your question, but another possibility: On my previous E-250 I was able to simply buy a new Genuine Ford foam piece for the seat portion. Back then it was around $100 though there were no airbags or fancy things in the seat (it was all in the seatbelt pre-tensioner which I didn't change).

Once I picked up the new foam seat cushion piece from the dealer parts department, I took out the seat and then "de-upholstered" it (not too hard as there were clips underneath on a metal rail), removed the old foam, put in the new identical foam, and then put the upholstery back. Took maybe an hour or so.

Another bonus to doing it that way, if you can, is that the passenger seat wouldn't then be uncomfortable (vs. putting your worn out seat over there)

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
There is a side airbag built into the seat, Switching the seats would put the airbag on the wrong side of the seat. It is just a minor thing because the side curtain airbag would still protect you.

·
Registered
9,564 Posts
If you just want the lower cushion seat part to be "fresh", you can remove both and swap them, I think without tools. There's some sort of latch underneath and you slide the seat all the way forward or back (I dunno) and undo the latch and the cushion comes off.
Someone on the forum posted this years ago. If you find the actual "how to", please post a link.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a side airbag built into the seat, Switching the seats would put the airbag on the wrong side of the seat. It is just a minor thing because the side curtain airbag would still protect you.
Thank you for that tidbit of info. I wonder if that would affect an insurance claim in the unfortunate chance i got into an accident.

Other than that, it seems as far as I can tell from your response, that it is possible to switch the driver and passenger seats. I am correct in interpretting your response like that?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you just want the lower cushion seat part to be "fresh", you can remove both and swap them, I think without tools. There's some sort of latch underneath and you slide the seat all the way forward or back (I dunno) and undo the latch and the cushion comes off.
Someone on the forum posted this years ago. If you find the actual "how to", please post a link.
That would be a great idea. The bottom seat cushion is the issue. I will do some research on this idea alone and if i can find anything i will share that information. I will also take a look at the seat cushion itself and see what i can figure out. Thank you.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would avoid swapping the seats and putting airbags where they were not designed to be. Much better idea to just get new foam for seat if comfort is the issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't answer your question, but another possibility: On my previous E-250 I was able to simply buy a new Genuine Ford foam piece for the seat portion. Back then it was around $100 though there were no airbags or fancy things in the seat (it was all in the seatbelt pre-tensioner which I didn't change).

Once I picked up the new foam seat cushion piece from the dealer parts department, I took out the seat and then "de-upholstered" it (not too hard as there were clips underneath on a metal rail), removed the old foam, put in the new identical foam, and then put the upholstery back. Took maybe an hour or so.

Another bonus to doing it that way, if you can, is that the passenger seat wouldn't then be uncomfortable (vs. putting your worn out seat over there)

That is useful information to have, thank you. I was not aware I could simply order a new cushion. I feel likely to switch the cushions for now. In the future it will be good to know I can order a new cushion. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
That is useful information to have, thank you. I was not aware I could simply order a new cushion. I feel likely to switch the cushions for now. In the future it will be good to know I can order a new cushion. Thank you.
I actually did also swap the cushion foam, but didn't add that to my post above as I didn't want to confuse things (plus mine was an E-Series). In my case it was actually the passenger side seat foam that was worn out (from PO swiveling it around and using it as a lounger while camping). So I bought a new foam seat cushion from Ford (it was the same part number for driver and passenger in my case), put it into the driver's side, and then moved the decent driver's side foam to the passenger seat. Then the worn out passenger seat foam went into the dumpster.

To the bad, I had to do two de-upholstery/re-upholstery jobs. To the good, the second one went much more quickly because I had the tricks figured out. It was held on by plastic clips on a rail under the seat for the most part.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
This might be helpful too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That would be a great idea. The bottom seat cushion is the issue. I will do some research on this idea alone and if i can find anything i will share that information. I will also take a look at the seat cushion itself and see what i can figure out. Thank you.
It worked. It was only slightly difficult to remove all of the pieces and fasteners and switch the cushions. videos on youtube helped. it definitely made a difference in the level of comfort. thank you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts