Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, my father in law recently purchased a 2018 ford transit hd xlt. He drives people to the airport. The sliding door has a step board; however, he and his wife are having trouble getting in the driver and passenger door.

I called ford directly, which they forwarded me to a parts line (which they said they aren’t even part of ford?) they proceeded to tel me they didn’t have any 2018 stuff in their system, which I thought was odd?

I’d be very grateful to anyone that can help my situation. They are older in age so I would love to get them ssnething to help them get in and out.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
On the 2018 model Transit Ford offers the Extended Length Running Boards which has the driver's side short board and a passenger side full length running board for the passenger side. This has to be ordered on the Transit as most dealers either are not aware of the NEW option or do not order it. The one you have is the cheapest one on the option list @ $160.

At this point, if the running board you have is stationary, you will have to remove it and possibly go with a aftermarket setup. Most of the forum members go with the Ionic Running Boards offered by Running Board Warehouse, www.runningboardwarehouse.com

If you stay with the existing factory step at the slider door, then you might look at the Carr Transit Step listed on their site. This would be a individual step for the driver and/or passenger position and you may be able to retain the original running board already on the wagon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you. I assumed aftermarket was the only way to go.
Ill relay this information to him. Thanks for suggesting the popular options on this board!! Makes it much easier to tell him what to get.

I like the Carr step, but I also noticed the Ionic running boards come in 100" and 39", for the sliding/passenger, and driver respectively. However, they also have an option for 39" and 39" driver and passenger. Would this option allow me to keep the current running board on the transit as is?

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
You would have to see how the mounts work on the passenger side with the 39" running board. You may have a problem with the front part of the sliding door running board conflicting with the rear part of the ionic board. That may make it where you would have to remove the factory installed running board and add the 100" running board.

·
Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
I like the Carr step, but I also noticed the Ionic running boards come in 100" and 39", for the sliding/passenger, and driver respectively. However, they also have an option for 39" and 39" driver and passenger. Would this option allow me to keep the current running board on the transit as is?
I had the factory one at the slider door and replaced it with the Ionic 100" one. Before removing the old one I held up the 39" driver board next to it to see if it would work and look right and it did not at all. :|

I am very happy with our Ionic steps and their customer service is exemplary. 0:)

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Thanks to asdrew for verifying about the 39" passenger side Ionic running board not working with the Ford factory running board for the slider door. I had remembered someone had tried this out before and now he is the one that I probably remember making the comment about it.

Met asdrew about one year ago at Lakeland Ford when I delivered a 2 passenger Charcoal Cloth seat to him and picked up my Knapheide Shelving for my MR DSD Transit. Got to see his T-350 148" WB wagon and all the things he had done to make those kids so happy!

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
And now they make a power step called the 'TWO STEP' for the large lifted trucks where when it folds down you have 2 steps that drop down at 2 levels so you can get in those higher lifted ones where the single power step leaves it another 14" high when retracted.

·
Registered
331 Posts

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,650 Posts
Still debating if I want one long power step (AMP research 148 wheelbase - 79" long step 76159-01A) or two-step version (separate passenger and slider 76259-01A)

http://www.amp-research.com/products/truckaccessories/powerstep/

And now they make a power step called the 'TWO STEP' for the large lifted trucks where when it folds down you have 2 steps that drop down at 2 levels so you can get in those higher lifted ones where the single power step leaves it another 14" high when retracted.
I think there might be some confusion here. The two step version part number 76259-01A isn't one for the passenger and one for the slider. It's a pair of 79" long steps, one for the driver side and one for the passenger side. I can find no reference to a pair of steps on one side for taller vehicles. They do make a model that comes down 3 inches lower for taller vehicles, but I can't find a "double step" on their web site.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
The 'TWO STEP' power running board is NOT A AMP product. It is made by another company and it is just one running board but has 2 steps that retract from under the vehicle. It is made for the 'HighBoy' trucks where when they are lifted you can have easier access inside the truck.

They have a remote control that can deploy the running board besides the actual opening of the door. It was at the Keystone 'The BIG SHOW' on a lifted truck and you could see how it operated with the remote control or by opening the door. Probably not something that Transit owners would need for their vehicle at this time.

Waiting to see one of the Transits with that 'HIGH' lift look. Then they may need the 'TWO STEP'!

·
Registered
957 Posts
@GapRunr. Looking at the pdf instructions of 76129 vs 76259 they both show the full step under the passenger and slider on the right side. I've sent a note off to Amp Research and will post what I find out. I need that step!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Who makes it and what model is it?
The upfitter put them on. The tag on the back side says they're made by Luverne and the part number is B710083. I could not successfully find them online. I found Luverne but could not find that particular running board. You might send them the picture and see if they still have them.

·
Super Moderator
1,650 Posts
The 'TWO STEP' power running board is NOT A AMP product. It is made by another company and it is just one running board but has 2 steps that retract from under the vehicle. It is made for the trucks where when they are lifted you can have easier access inside the truck.
Can you share with us the company name?

·
Super Moderator
1,650 Posts
@GapRunr. Looking at the pdf instructions of 76129 vs 76259 they both show the full step under the passenger and slider on the right side. I've sent a note off to Amp Research and will post what I find out. I need that step!
That is correct. The 76129 instructions say "Single Sided" on them. It is one long step that fits under the passenger front door and passenger sliding (or barn) doors. The 76259 instructions say "Double Sided" and it is two long steps, one for each side.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts