Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks, we're based over in the UK and recently picked up a 2016 Transit XLWB High top. I've picked up loads of great information on this forum so far, so I thought I'd share our progress.

We've been somewhat funds limited until recently as we have been trying to sell our small VW van for some time. Thankfully that went last weekend, so we have some money available to get the conversion well on it's way.

This is Luna on the day we picked her up. The reason for the name; we want a 4 birth with at least 5 travelling seats, a toilet/shower, kitchen, fixed bed for the adults and internal storage for our bikes. All of this is like wanting the moon on a stick, hence Luna! Also her colour in Moondust Silver, so that settled it.

Cosmetically she was in a bit of a mess, but it's been into the body shop to sort the sides out. Then we got on with the build.

As of yesterday, this is how she looks now:

We've now got a series of videos that we're sharing on YouTube;
Intro:

For anyone who's interested we also post photos to Instagram farely regularly:
Our Instagram

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In Europe it's far more typical to get a double passenger seat in the front alongside the drivers seat, thankfully there is a company that makes swivel bases for these too, here's how we fitted ours:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I came across this pretty neat dashcam/reversing camera setup (again in the UK it's not typical to have windows in the back of the van as people will break into them if they see tools). This camera is a really nice option for being able to see out of the back without being able to see through the vehicle:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Then we went about adding some rear seats, these are our of a Transit Tourneo and are brilliant as they are self contained with integral 3 point seat belts. We ended up fitting all 3, although we will only have 2 of them fitted 99.9% of the time, with the extra just in case we need to transport 6 people in total:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Then onto the job that I was most nervous about, but really wanted to have a go at, fitting windows! We put full glass down both sides (although left the panel in where the shower is going to be).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So we have fitted a couple of the MaxxAir Maxxfan Deluxe fans, they're pretty expensive compared to the European ones, such as Fiamma, but I think they're well worth the extra, since you can have them open in the rain (we get a lot!).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Then most recently we fitted an insulated floor. This job surprised me by taking somewhat longer than expected, but I'm really glad with how nice a job it has turned out to be:

Sorry for spamming you with all the posts, that's it up to date. We usually manage to put something together every week or two, just depends how much we can get done over the weekends.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am enjoying your build and videos. You are making some nice progress. I love all the windows. Are passenger vans difficult to find in the UK? I know designing around the airbags can be a bummer, maybe that was a factor.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks. There are plenty of Transit Minibuses (passenger vans) in the UK. But we have issues with licenses over here. A normal car license is OK for a van up to 3.5t, but minibuses with more than 9 seats need a different license. So easier to start with a panel van and add windows.

Sent from my M2007J17G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Although I seem to be taking longer to do each job than I'd hoped, everything is getting done right! No more importantly than with the install of our Diesel Heater. There's nothing overly complicated about installing one, but it's important to install them correctly. I followed a few useful guides on YouTube, as the instructions supplied with the heater weren't great.

It can be a bit of an awkward job, as you need to drop the fuel tank to reach the aux take off point for connecting to the main fuel tank. Also I ended up spending about 4 hours under the van trying to carefully position the fuel pump, run the fuel line and run the electrical feed back from the heater to the fuel pump.

Here's a video we put together:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Managed to make a bit more progress this weekend. Firstly I finished the flooring:

Then I managed to fit a Fiamma F45s Awning:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Today I managed to complete my first insulated window cover.

Another 7 to go! Thank goodness I bought a binding attachment for my sewing machine!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll be posting up a video in the coming week which should detail it all.

The main materials are:
Outer layer - 4oz silver pigmented pu
Insulation layer - Thinsulate CS150
Inner layer - ripstop nylon

Sent from my M2007J17G using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts