Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know the issue of north-south vs east-west beds has already been discussed at great detail on this forum, so apologies if this has already been asked. I tried to look through all of the past threads around camper beds in Transits but did not see the exact info I am looking for. What I am looking for is specific dimensions so I can figure out what the maximum width of an east-west bed could be. How wide is the transit from sheet metal to sheet metal in the window cut out? What about at the stiffening ribs? And what about at the base of window cutout? I will attach a picture with some of the points I am hoping to get width measurements at. I don't know if it matters, but I am looking at a 148 high roof. I do not plan on using this van anywhere too hot or cold, so I do not need much more insulation than al layer Thinsulate or a few layers of minicell foam. I am curious what people's bed length actually ends up being in an east-west orientation?

Also, I would just go to a dealer to measure this myself, but with the state of the world I am trying to limit my time out and contact with other people. So, I figured if someone here readily knew this information or could easily measure it would be a good place to start. So, thanks in advance. Cheers!

Transit Van Measuring Points.jpg

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have my van fully insulated in the wall cavities and am working on covering the walls with 1/4" ply screwed directly to the frame surfaces. My EW bed will be between the innermost sheet metal (your lowest dot), and my finished available length will be 70" (5'10"). This is tight but doable for my wife and I because we are both about 5'8".

I have a 2015 LWB, High roof, EL, 350.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have my van fully insulated in the wall cavities and am working on covering the walls with 1/4" ply screwed directly to the frame surfaces. My EW bed will be between the innermost sheet metal (your lowest dot), and my finished available length will be 70" (5'10"). This is tight but doable for my wife and I because we are both about 5'8".

I have a 2015 LWB, High roof, EL, 350.
Awesome! Thank you so much for the response! 70" is definitely tight, but doable. I was hoping to get closer to 74 or even 75. I am between buying a Promaster and a Transit. I like the transit better in every way, shape, and form besides the fact that Promasters are just that little bit wider, more easily allowing for an east-west bed Do you know what the total thickness is of your insulation? Will it butt straight up to your finished wall? Or will there be an air gap? Do you happen to know any of the other dimensions? Even if they are rough (i.e. how much of a step back there is to the next highest dot? And then to the ribs?) Thanks again for the quick response!

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
2,249 Posts
Did you try the Search function at the top of eery page? I did a search on "East West bed" and the first hit was a thread that seems to answer all of your questions...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you try the Search function at the top of eery page? I did a search on "East West bed" and the first hit was a thread that seems to answer all of your questions...

Thanks for the reply and the link! Yes, I did this and I spent last evening reading trough most of the threads including the one you linked. It was definitely the closest thread to what I was looking for. In general, the only measurements that I have come across searching all the threads are the widest point, which I would assume would be sheet metal to sheet metal, and then a few final bed lengths. Nothing about rib to rib, or support beat to support beam, or any of the other measurements. I am looking for all of the measurements I listed so I can plan different places to create and attach the headwall/footwall of my bed and to figure out how much space for insulation there will be and how long my final bed would be.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts

This guy makes it easier than picking through all the old bones. A great help to all of us! :cool:

·
Registered
288 Posts
I actually just finished measuring mine for similar reasons (installing shelves/bed platforms). Feel free to make use of my (rough) measurements:

Width:
74" max in window recess (at base)
69" at hip height at the C and D pillars
65" at shoulder height at the C and D pillars (van curves in at the top)
Recess is about 3.5" "deeper" than pillars all the way up.
I'd estimate your dots up top (in the middle of the window cutout) are about 72" wide from left to right in the van.

The little ribs you dotted add about 1/4" to the wall protrusion on each side.

·
Registered
2018 350 HR Ext SRW 3.5L Ecoboost
174 Posts

We have a 2018 350 EXT HR. At 41.5" from the floor and 61.5" from the back door, you start with 76.5" of room towards the front and 75" inside the back door posts. We've installed .75" spray foam in the window wells and .5" of wood finish. So, a total of 2.5" lost space. With that, we now have 74" in the front and 72.5" in the back.

Pics of measurements (add 3" for tape width)

I'm 5'11.75", sleep flat on my back, and have slept ~100 nights in the bed in total comfort. 50 camping and 50 nights in the doghouse. 😬

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
We are transverse (Is that E-W?) and our bed is at a touch under 73". The is bed quite high (over bikes), and so above the serious framing below over the wheel wells. I have insulated both walls with 1/2 styrofoam plus 3/8" minicell to fill in around the light framing. Over that, 1/4" plywood and 1/4" cedar. (The rest of the van is much better insulated!!) So maybe the skin to skin is 76 inches?
I am 5-11 and it is quite comfortable .
Hope that helps!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I actually just finished measuring mine for similar reasons (installing shelves/bed platforms). Feel free to make use of my (rough) measurements:

Width:
74" max in window recess (at base)
69" at hip height at the C and D pillars
65" at shoulder height at the C and D pillars (van curves in at the top)
Recess is about 3.5" "deeper" than pillars all the way up.
I'd estimate your dots up top (in the middle of the window cutout) are about 72" wide from left to right in the van.

The little ribs you dotted add about 1/4" to the wall protrusion on each side.
Thanks for sharing. That is exactly what I was looking for.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Are cardinal directions the proper way to describe the orientation? Wouldn't front to back and side to side make more sense? Just wondering, is this like an RV terminology or something?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Beng,
Really like the layout of your bed. We are attempting to do the same thing with wagon using the Ikea slats. How thick are the poplar slats on your walls?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I know the issue of north-south vs east-west beds has already been discussed at great detail on this forum, so apologies if this has already been asked. I tried to look through all of the past threads around camper beds in Transits but did not see the exact info I am looking for. What I am looking for is specific dimensions so I can figure out what the maximum width of an east-west bed could be. How wide is the transit from sheet metal to sheet metal in the window cut out? What about at the stiffening ribs? And what about at the base of window cutout? I will attach a picture with some of the points I am hoping to get width measurements at. I don't know if it matters, but I am looking at a 148 high roof. I do not plan on using this van anywhere too hot or cold, so I do not need much more insulation than al layer Thinsulate or a few layers of minicell foam. I am curious what people's bed length actually ends up being in an east-west orientation?

Also, I would just go to a dealer to measure this myself, but with the state of the world I am trying to limit my time out and contact with other people. So, I figured if someone here readily knew this information or could easily measure it would be a good place to start. So, thanks in advance. Cheers!

View attachment 134590
Apologies for muddiness but are you (and others) cutting out the vertical window uprights to gain the necessary width or taking the bed platform up to the uprights and insulating that narrow area? Sounds like the latter. And how high above the floor is the bed platform to get to this width?

·
Registered
2018 350 HR Ext SRW 3.5L Ecoboost
174 Posts
Are cardinal directions the proper way to describe the orientation? Wouldn't front to back and side to side make more sense? Just wondering, is this like an RV terminology or something?
As a former sailor, I'd prefer to go nautical, but kinda thought that'd be pretentious.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts