Ford Transit USA Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you already requested the CAD models from Ford BBAS? If not, I suggest that you do, and do so in the most polite manner possible. It seemed to work for me. Maybe it will work for you, too.

Make sure that you don't simply request all of the CAD models. The Ford BBAS website clearly states that such requests will be denied. I requested and received the following:
  • cargo floor
  • cargo walls
  • cargo roof
  • sliding door
  • rear doors
I did and was declined because "we can only provide CAD support to Final Stage Manufacturers and QVM partners". I requested only interior cargo walls, floor and roof. Can you imagine situation where you buy a kitchen cabinet and reach out to manufacturer: hi I want to modify cabinet which I just have ordered from you (and waiting for delivery), can you provide me exact dimensions and the reply is: no, you are not a professional cabinet maker?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm guessing ford don't want to share too much IP as they have already been copied by the Chinese saic maxus....

Cheers James

·
Registered
6,808 Posts
Do you really need the 3D CAD files?

A few hours in a van with a tape measure at a dealer before I got the van provided all the dimensions I required. The floor measurements were the critical dimensions.

The floor and cabinets were all designed before fabrication in 2D CAD. All fit without any changes at installation. Worked for me because I have so many years designing in 2D and can visualize the finished product without the need for 3D to provide the picture.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think part of the point might be IMHO, to have access to CAD files to, perhaps have some panels done with CNC.. if you're cutting and fitting by hand, it's not as relevant, and perhaps not strictly "necessary" but could still be helpful.

Reactions: Tuckie

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi, I know this is a old subject, but I'm just wondering if anyone out there uses the Solidworks Makers / connected 2022 software for modeling their conversion. I'm using it and have trouble working with the sample .stl file from rapid3d.ca at Sample
I have tried it on the SW 2020-2021 student version and it works fine, but loads with errors on SW2022.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi, I know this is a old subject, but I'm just wondering if anyone out there uses the Solidworks Makers / connected 2022 software for modeling their conversion. I'm using it and have trouble working with the sample .stl file from rapid3d.ca at Sample
I have tried it on the SW 2020-2021 student version and it works fine, but loads with errors on SW2022.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just tried this again on my machine and it loaded without errors, but the sample file changed from the last time I tried to load it. Also, it takes forever to do anything with it. Curious if there are SW 2022 Makers out there using it for your conversion and if you have issues with .stl files.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Rectangle Font Auto part Circle Tool

I get this with SW 2022 Connected when loading the file - it's a sample of the driver's side interior wall. The problem is that I can't do much with it afterwards. I've opened a trouble ticket with SW and they claim it does not work properly because my machine/graphics card is not certified. It always displays properly, it just takes a long time to do anything useful. It's an 8 core Ryzen uP, 3.5 GHz, 32GB, NVIDIA RTX 2070 w/ 8GB dedicated video memory, 16GB shared, programs run from NVME, files from SSD. Just saying, not the best, but not a slouch. I just want to find someone with SW 2022 that can load and work with this file to verify that something is up with my machine. Not sure what it may be. Funny thing is, it opens and works just fine in Freecad, but none of my models are there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is a relatively small area, so the raggedness is amplified. For a full van model you would have to zoom in far to see them. I thing the raggedness depends on the lighting and camera positioning during the scan, but I'm not an expert.

·
Registered
22 Posts
STL is about the worst format you can use. It's for 3D printing, not for CAD modeling. SW has been able to output STL files for awhile but it's only been able to import and work with them for a couple years and it doesn't do a good job.

·
Registered
40 Posts
STL is about the worst format you can use. It's for 3D printing, not for CAD modeling. SW has been able to output STL files for awhile but it's only been able to import and work with them for a couple years and it doesn't do a good job.
I agree it's not a good format alone for doing design work, but used in combination with a step file it can help produce components that have a better chance of fitting - especially if you don't have a vehicle to work with. There's a company that sells the combination together. I did the "go to the dealer and measure stuff" thing and made a 3D model from the measurements. However, I don't have enough confidence in my measurements and the resulting low fidelity model to cut parts. I'm on my 3rd van order now and still don't know when / if I'll get it. I'm trying to have parts ready for it when it is delivered. I'm not sure if the manufacturing tolerances would negate this thought process though, so I'm keeping that in mind for some things.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The question I'm trying to answer is the 2022 version of SW suitable for doing this. I'm finding the answer is no on my machine at least, but I'm just trying to find out if someone out there has been successful and it's just something wrong I am doing, or actually is a PC shortcoming in hardware or software setup. I think it's easy for SW support to say my machine is not certified therefore it must be my problem, but I'm not convinced they're right. We'll see what happens. I know this is a problem that I wouldn't care about if I actually had a van and could just adjust the solid models I have to fit.

·
Registered
64 Posts
BTW, I've still not managed to successfully fill out the form for the CAD files request.. the website just throws an error..
I've contacted their support.. we'll see if they respond.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The question I'm trying to answer is the 2022 version of SW suitable for doing this. I'm finding the answer is no on my machine at least, but I'm just trying to find out if someone out there has been successful and it's just something wrong I am doing, or actually is a PC shortcoming in hardware or software setup. I think it's easy for SW support to say my machine is not certified therefore it must be my problem, but I'm not convinced they're right. We'll see what happens. I know this is a problem that I wouldn't care about if I actually had a van and could just adjust the solid models I have to fit.
I've used SW for about 15 years as a machine designer and just opened it on my PC which was built to meet Solidwork's requirements with a supported graphics card. It loaded pretty much instantly but looks awful. Plenty of jagged edges that are clearly not right. That's just a fact when trying to use STL files with Solidworks. Converting a turd like this to a useful model would take more time and patience that I'd want to invest. I don't know why anyone would create a CAD file using the STL format - it makes zero sense. Parasolid or IGES are more universally accepted and useful.

Rectangle Font Circle Metal Gas

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks this is great info. What version of SW are you running? You're showing similar results to a test on version 2020-2021. BTW, this is only a sample, not intended to be a working model, just used for reference, not for actually creating a CAD file. There is a corresponding stp file that goes along with the full scan of a van interior. I already have SW models of all the components I want to build.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts