Ford Transit USA Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
I got denied today too after about 20 days. They then nicely asked for my feedback on their "support" so I submitted the following. Maybe get enough requests and they will change minds. I really like the idea of creating a 1/32" offset surface. That would not be the original files and could be easily extracted for upload.

This feedback is response to:
Ticket ID: 6148
Department:CAD REQUEST - TICKET

You are unable to provide CAD files to me because "Sorry we can only provide data to upfitters and final stage manufacturers". This is unfortunate for the following reasons.
1. I want to buy a $57k Transit van from you but only if I can modify it's interior. I would think you would do everything you can to help a customer buying an overpriced empty box.
2. On several occasions you have provided them to other private RV builders like me as I have seen build model pictures based on the output of the files. They have been good and not allowed the source files to be distributed. Therefore you have an inconsistent policy.
3. It is 2020 and everything is digital. You already have the files as I have seen the output as mentioned in #2 and it costs you nothing to provide them to me. I am a mechanical engineer by trade and want to model my build while I wait for my customer van order to arrive. This is a trivial thing for me to do if given access to the files.
4. There is nothing in the interior dimension cad files that can not be had with a laser or photogrammetry scans using modern technology. The only limitation is to the little guy like me who cant afford it. Adding another road block for no discernable reason. What are you trying to avoid that can't already be easily done?
5. If I have to manually measure a van I will curse you for every awkward position I must contort my body over several ours in the cold of winter. Not a good way for me to have positive comments of your support on the FordTransitUSAforum.com filled with 21 thousand like minded custom van builders as members. I will be posting this interaction with you on the forum for others to set expectations on your support.
6. As stated in your Transit van marketing materials, custom RV van conversion for adventure vans is one of your fasted growing markets. Your back end support organization is not aligned with the desire and needs of your marketing and business groups direction. You should actually be forward looking and provide a prepackaged set of interior cargo area plans for this market segment as we would love you for it and be even more devoted in promoting Transit over Sprinter and Ram Promaster.

As a side note I have feedback on your current Transit van roadmap. There are many adventure van builders like me that would prefer a CrewVan but must instead use a Cargo Van. A CrewVan is preferred for many adventure vans because the rear seat allows families of 4 and 5 to use the van with built-in side airbags. Unfortunately the CrewVan today is only designed for commercial work vans. A Crew adventure van has the following issues.
a. 2nd row seat is full width and there is no way to get from back to front without opening the sliding door. An option of the 54" wide seat is required allowing a walking lane to rear.
b. 2nd row seat can not recline (no option). Need option to recline seats as most often used by kids and on long journeys were sleeping will occur in the seats.
c. Front seats can not swivel (no option). Swiveling front seats is required to convert front area into dining area given limited van size.
d. High roof, Extended CrewVan only comes with a GVWR >10k pound weight. This results in all kinds of additional commercial vehicle issues like, taxes, fees, licensing, insurance, stopping at many states truck scales, chains over mountain passes, .... GVWR of 9,950 or 9,500 pounds are perfect for avoiding these issues.
e. High roof, Extended CrewVan only comes in 350HD rear dual wheels which reduce interior flat floor space, and increase cost for snow tires. Dual rear wheels are not required on any other <10k pound Transit versions.

So No, I am not happy with your support because there has been none.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Really too bad you can't verify that the files aren't tagged, then share them anonymously.
For entertainment purposes only: If the two of you that were granted access each apply a hash function (e.g. using shasum from the command line) on the same source file and get the same hash, the two files are exactly identical.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
For entertainment purposes only: If the two of you that were granted access each apply a hash function (e.g. using shasum from the command line) on the same source file and get the same hash, the two files are exactly identical.
I'll even offer to do the comparison... send me the files. ;-)

Reactions: eranrund

·
Registered
86 Posts
If one were to get ahold of the files and use them to produce a simplified model (no extracted geometry, all manually re-modelled from scratch) - is there anything in the legal agreement that would preclude sharing that simplified model?

·
Registered
2021 Cargo T-350 LWB HR EB on order...
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hey guys, I understand that you’re anxious to get your hands on Ford’s actual CAD model. I know that I was, too. However, Ford had me sign an official non-disclosure form before giving me the model. I’m just not going to share their models nor try going around their request by exporting a surface of some sort. That’s just a good way to ruin it for everyone else and get myself into potential legal trouble. Given where I work, that is absolutely not an option. I could lose my job. If your request was rejected, consider placing a second ticket. This worked for me when I had questions for the electrical team at BBAS.

·
Registered
2016 Transit 350 LWD High Roof Extended
67 Posts
I wish I had models back when I was planning my build. Next time...
What would be cool and have less IP would be an interior only model or some limited data.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Ford does not want you to fix your own car, And the same probably applies to the topic of this transit forum thread.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Man, I was so happy when I saw this thread... and then such a disappointment. Nobody willing to share cad files of interior?
I've offered to share mine in the past. Like virtually everything available for free, it isn't anything special and certainly not complete but would give someone a headstart.

Unfortunately for most, mine has been made in SolidWorks and exporting to various other formats for use with "free" software packages results in the loss of the most useful details - many of which are contained in suppressed/hidden sketches.

And then, of course, whenever the conversation about CAD gets going there's a huge uproar about how unnecessary it is. Pfffft.

That, or you get pointed to a bunch of blocky SketchUp models apparently made by 5 year olds who don't know how to measure within an inch or three. Even more likely, they didn't actually have a van to measure.

Then there are the stupidly expensive "professional" models based on 3D laser scanning or the original factory ones that were the genesis of this thread. Both types may be considered "unobtanium" to all but those interested in a large commercial venture, or maybe have way more spare cash than I do.

Best advice I can give is to spend the time taking the tedious key measurements yourself to generate a rough work envelope for 3D CAD modeling. You'll get to know the van better this way, and probably come up with your own unique creative solutions in the process.

·
Registered
2021 Cargo T-350 LWB HR EB on order...
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Man, I was so happy when I saw this thread... and then such a disappointment. Nobody willing to share cad files of interior?
Have you already requested the CAD models from Ford BBAS? If not, I suggest that you do, and do so in the most polite manner possible. It seemed to work for me. Maybe it will work for you, too.

Make sure that you don't simply request all of the CAD models. The Ford BBAS website clearly states that such requests will be denied. I requested and received the following:
  • cargo floor
  • cargo walls
  • cargo roof
  • sliding door
  • rear doors

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's certainly frustrating. I was declined too and asked really nice and only for a few things. I was told something along the lines of needing to be a a commercial vehicle body builder or upfitter to get the files. It hasn't slowed me down that much I suppose (yet) because I've already sort of mocked up what I want to do with 2x4s and plywood (before the prices spiked) but it would be nice to have for when I get closer to my finished build. I was going to try again after a period of time and see if I could get lucky. Maybe after I get all my electrical done, I'll see if I can get some STEP files. I really can't believe they just don't have them on their website. It's ridiculous that they don't.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Creating a bogus company that sells small jet engines got me into a international industrial supply wholesaler where I am able to buy parts for anything.
My small jet engine hobby is a costly one and my turboshafts are all old military surplus.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts