Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Cargo T-350 LWB HR EB on order...
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have some good and some bad news on this subject...

With the months and months of delays on our 2020 Transit order, I was desperate to get a head start on our build using a CAD model. Even though I thought there was a slim chance, I submitted a CAD request via the Ford BBAS website. The website very clearly states that requests for the entire CAD package will be rejected, so I carefully worded my request that I just needed the interior walls, cargo floor, interior ceiling, and exterior roof.

So, the good news is that Ford actually sent me a free CAD package, which I found extremely surprising. The bad news is that I had to agree to not share it with anyone else.

I sent an email to the manager of the BBAS representative who helped me. I explained that numerous people on this forum would find the CAD package extremely useful, and I even provided links to several threads on this forum. Unfortunately, my request to share the CAD package here was denied immediately.

Therefore, if you would like a CAD package of your own, you will need to submit your own request via the Ford BBAS website. Perhaps, if they get inundated with requests by forum members, they will change their minds.

model 3D geometry Fusion Fusion360 SketchUp STL STP STEP AutoCAD AutoDesk SolidWorks ProE Creo

·
Registered
309 Posts
Even though I thought there was a slim chance, I submitted a CAD request via the Ford BBAS website. The website very clearly states that requests for the entire CAD package will be rejected, so I carefully worded my request that I just needed the interior walls, cargo floor, interior ceiling, and exterior roof.

I sent an email to the manager of the BBAS representative who helped me.
Nice work!

Any chance you can share the wording for your request and any other correspondence you had with Ford so we can attempt to closely follow your path?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any chance you can share the wording for your request and any other correspondence you had with Ford so we can attempt to closely follow your path?
I filled out a web-based form, so I don't have a record of my message. I stated that I wanted the CAD models for planning the interior layout of a camper build. I requested the interior surfaces and the exterior roof. It took a couple weeks, but I eventually received an email with a link to a file sharing site.

did Ford give you a file you can load into SketchUp as a 3D model?
Ford provided the CAD in the Standard for the Exchange of Product Data (STEP) file format. Most CAD programs can read STEP/STP files. I built my model in the free version of Fusion360.

Reactions: harryn

·
Registered
58 Posts
So, the good news is that Ford actually sent me a free CAD package, which I found extremely surprising. The bad news is that I had to agree to not share it with anyone else.
I am so envious! I've just made my request too. I would have waited extra time to take delivery on the van just to have the STEP file for sure. Thank you for the information.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Anyone know if the 2020 interior framing is the same as the 2019?
Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
14 Posts
I understand you can’t share the Ford cad. Can you share the interior wood panel files for the rear bay you came up with? I have access to a water jet cutter and looking for interior panel drawings.
james

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi,
I also understand you can't share the files, but can you do a surface, let's say 1/32" offset and share that?
Like let's say you spraypaint the whole interior, and you share the paint surface :) ( or let's call it very thin plywood surface, or insulation )

I sent Ford an email, but no reply yet.

Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have some good and some bad news on this subject...

With the months and months of delays on our 2020 Transit order, I was desperate to get a head start on our build using a CAD model. Even though I thought there was a slim chance, I submitted a CAD request via the Ford BBAS website. The website very clearly states that requests for the entire CAD package will be rejected, so I carefully worded my request that I just needed the interior walls, cargo floor, interior ceiling, and exterior roof.

I sent an email to the manager of the BBAS representative who helped me. I explained that numerous people on this forum would find the CAD package extremely useful, and I even provided links to several threads on this forum. Unfortunately, my request to share the CAD package here was denied immediately.

Therefore, if you would like a CAD package of your own, you will need to submit your own request via the Ford BBAS website. Perhaps, if they get inundated with requests by forum members, they will change their minds.

View attachment 142073
model 3D geometry Fusion Fusion360 SketchUp STL STP STEP AutoCAD AutoDesk SolidWorks ProE Creo
I got access today using your instructions. Which files render the above?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I understand you can’t share the Ford cad. Can you share the interior wood panel files for the rear bay you came up with? I have access to a water jet cutter and looking for interior panel drawings.
james
Sorry, but my models of the wood panels are not accurate enough to fabricate actual ones. I just put in some planar panels to mock up the walls. They actually interfere with the van body in many places.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How long did it take to get access after your initial request/application? I'm 20 calendar days and haven't heard anything.
It took two weeks before I received a response from a human. I would submit a second ticket. Maybe the first one didn’t go through or was missing information. You should get an automatic confirmation email from BBAS within 24 hours.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I got answer from Ford...

"Unfortunately we can only support Upfitters and final stage manufacturers with CAD data

Good luck with your build!"

I don't understand, why some can get the files and others don't .. it's not like I want to build a competition to Ford...

·
Registered
309 Posts
I got answer from Ford...

"Unfortunately we can only support Upfitters and final stage manufacturers with CAD data

Good luck with your build!"

I don't understand, why some can get the files and others don't .. it's not like I want to build a competition to Ford...
I got the same exact reply today. I sent a follow up pointing out the irregular approval criteria. For those who were successful, did you state that you were an up fitter or final stage manufacturer?

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Really too bad you can't verify that the files aren't tagged, then share them anonymously.

It almost seems like they made a mistake sending the files to @CincyBearcats since the alleged request wasn't in line with their response to others.

I wonder what criteria they use to decide if you're an upfitter.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts