Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if this has been asked before. I have a '15 Transit 350, taking a 235/65R16C tire. I'm a delivery driver that sees a LOT of gravel! What is the best "off road" tire that people have been using. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I'm happy with our Nokian WRC3 tires in stock 235/65/16 size.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
You actually want a Load Rated 'E' tire for your Transit. Nearly every tire manufacturer has made the Ford Transit unique 235/65/R16 tire size but a lot of Transit owners are going with the larger 245/75/R16 like asdrew.

You will not have a clearance problem unless you have the front wheel well liners and then it barely touches the edge of the time at full locked turning. I have the Michelin Defender LTX 245/75/R16 tire on my 2017 T-250 DSD van.

·
Registered
201 Posts
What, if anything, must be done to the vehicle when adding that larger tire diameter? I thought I read somewhere that there was a coding change? I have the 3.5L ecoboost and 3.31 LS diff

·
Super Moderator
2,325 Posts
What, if anything, must be done to the vehicle when adding that larger tire diameter? I thought I read somewhere that there was a coding change?
Nothing needs to be done for clearance in most cases, some tire styles will need trimming of the pinch weld seam.

The larger circumference will affect the speedometer/odometer about 10% but the performance difference as far as shift points, power, etc is negligible. I have two 3.5 wagons with 3.31 axles, one with stock tires and one larger. I cannot tell any difference. :nerd:

So far no solutions to reprogram for larger tires have been found, but there are numerous GPS speed apps for your phone to display an accurate speed if you wish. I use the TorquePro app on my Android stereo to display speed.

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
You can try the michelin agilis crossclimate in our size and rating.
I haven't tried them off road. Someone else has and they seemed fine.

Don't know how well they will wear.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The problem I'm finding is that all the tire shops and the Ford dealer will not sell me anything that doesn't have that darn "C". I understand that the "C" stands for Commercial, as in the application of the tire. I also know that I need a "E" load rated tire, which I'm led to believe is a 10 ply, but those 10 ply truck tires are few and far between.

Everything I've been shown look like glorified passenger tires (with street tread patterns) or winter tires (which are soft). The only one I'm sort of liking is the Toyo HO9 All-weather tire. It definitely has the most aggressive tread. Anyone used one?

Decisions, decisions. Thanks for all the helpful replies!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
You actually want a Load Rated 'E' tire for your Transit. Nearly every tire manufacturer has made the Ford Transit unique 235/65/R16 tire size but a lot of Transit owners are going with the larger 245/75/R16 like asdrew.

You will not have a clearance problem unless you have the front wheel well liners and then it barely touches the edge of the time at full locked turning. I have the Michelin Defender LTX 245/75/R16 tire on my 2017 T-250 DSD van.
Do you need E rated tires if your not hauling heavy loads? My T250 van is only 5400 pounds empty and around 500 pounds of add ons.
I'm thinking I'll get a smoother ride if I ditch the E rated tires when the time comes I need new tires.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Do you need E rated tires if your not hauling heavy loads? My T250 van is only 5400 pounds empty and around 500 pounds of add ons.
I'm thinking I'll get a smoother ride if I ditch the E rated tires when the time comes I need new tires.
You'll get a smoother ride if you put weight in the van.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts

Sure, you can cut corners and you'll probably be fine. You may have to order tires online, remove the wheels, and take tires and wheels to a shop for mounting. When I was shopping for tires Discount Tire would not install any of my choices on the van that didn't meet the OEM rating. After giving it a little thought I really couldn't come up with enough justification not to simply install the right tire for the job.

Putting the properly rated Cooper Discoverers on my van smoothed out the ride considerably over the OEM tires. Adding to my build then did wonders toward improving ride quality and reducing noise levels while driving. In retrospect, I'm pleased with the commercial tires.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
C has nothing to do with load rating. Ignore the "C".

Stock tires have an approximate 3000lb rating (each)

Tires with 2800+ rating are probably "ok" despite the letters (E, for example)

Remember that the RIMS also need to be rated at about 3000lbs+ each! Many people get LT or car rims because they think they look cool and want to impress girls (but it's only guys who notice...whatever floats your boat), and often these rims are not capable of the weight they may encounter in a Transit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a T-250 and I use solely for traveling and when new tire are deemed, I'll buy larger and for a softer ride. I do not go off roading that much.

·
Super Moderator
1,429 Posts
You actually want a Load Rated 'E' tire for your Transit.
As long as people understand that most E-rated tires have a slightly lower load capacity than the OEM tires on your Transit. Not all tire shops are going to be willing to do this, given how easy it is to take someone to court in this country. Many people with conversions are running at near GVWR, and most E rated tires have a load capacity of about 450 pounds less per set of four than the OEM does.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I also run my Transit as a delivery van, mix of pavement and gravel(logging) roads, stock Vanco tired were awful on wet surfaces and even worse on snow so I switched over to KO2's (225/75R16) got about 8000km on them now and I will need to replace them already. Don't think the rear KO2's liked the tight turning on pavement, although they were great on muddy and loose gravel roads, so I guess my $1200 experiment was a failure. Going to try the Michelin Agilis Crossclimates on it, have certainly heard some good things about them so we'll see.

Colin

·
Super Moderator
1,429 Posts
The KO2's in that size are rated less than 500 pounds PER TIRE than OEM. I suspect steering wasn't that great. The weight of the van may have been overpowering the sidewalls in tight turns.

I've got the Cross Climate on my car, and have been extremely impressed with them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The KO2's in that size are rated less than 500 pounds PER TIRE than OEM. I suspect steering wasn't that great. The weight of the van may have been overpowering the sidewalls in tight turns.

I've got the Cross Climate on my car, and have been extremely impressed with them.
Yeah I know I took a hit on the load range, but in all honesty don't think I've even come close to the rated max for the van, front tires showed very little wear only the rears. Good to hear about the Cross Climates, they will be my next set.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
2500lb tires should work just fine, that's 10k lbs of capacity on a 6k vehicle. Frankly, the only people who would care that the tires are below rated weight for the Transit would be insurance adjusters/investigators if the van were involved in a wreck. Discovering they were below rated weight, even if they were not the reason for the accident, would give them an excuse to decline any settlements or medical payments. Yes, I know it's "not fair", but were talking about insurance companies.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
As long as people understand that most E-rated tires have a slightly lower load capacity than the OEM tires on your Transit. ......cut.....
Exactly. E-rated tires of equal size normally have a significantly lower Load Index than a “C” (as in Commercial) tire.

My LT245/75R16 E-Rated tires have a load index of 120 when used as singles.

My much smaller 235/65R16C Commercial tire (spare) has a load index of 121 when used as singles.

Load Index is rated at maximum tire pressure. My E-rated is at 80 PSI and the smaller Commercial tire a little higher than that (something like 83 or 85 PSI ????).

Anyone who is running a lighter van can reduce tire pressure based on actual axle weights using the tires’ load chart in order to soften the ride.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts