Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

Hope all is well!

Looking for some insight from those of you who have bought used or those of you who have had yours long enough to give some quality insight.

I'm in search of a van; no preference on cargo or passenger as I've seen both be converted in a pretty similar and cool manner, but I am on a budget.

A.) I am financing.
B) I JUST paid off my car so I would rather not put myself into another $400/500 payment. Car payments suck as it is lol.

Anyways, has anyone bought used anywhere in the 40-70k mileage range? Was it a success? Has it held up? Anything that would cause you to go back and NOT buy "that" used?

I'm really trying to stay between 25-30k so that leaves me in the 50k mileage range give or take.

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
3,734 Posts
We bought our first used 2015 wagon 12 months old with 31k miles and traded it with 95k flawless miles on a new 2018 one with more features, it just turned 36k miles and is like new.
Our experience was so wonderful, I did not hesitate to also purchase another used 2015 wagon with 44k miles - it currently has 65k flawless miles on it.

A properly maintained transit of any year with 40-70k miles should provide for years to come! ymmv

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
I think it starts to get iffy above 50k. If there are good records of the maintenance performed it helps a lot, and as asdrew said, should be good for years to come. But a hard-driven van might start to nickel and dime you after 50k.

Have you checked Car Guru and Auto Trader? I haven't looked at used van prices in a while, but I recall that <30k MR passenger vans were going for about $30k for a long time. A cargo should be much less than that. But then again, everyone and their cousin is building campervans right now...

Reactions: asdrew

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it starts to get iffy above 50k. If there are good records of the maintenance performed it helps a lot, and as asdrew said, should be good for years to come. But a hard-driven van might start to nickel and dime you after 50k.

Have you checked Car Guru and Auto Trader? I haven't looked at used van prices in a while, but I recall that <30k MR passenger vans were going for about $30k for a long time. A cargo should be much less than that. But then again, everyone and their cousin is building campervans right now...

Yea, EVERYONE is ahha.

I'm finding a lot of vans in the 25-30k range for sub 40/50k miles, but in this area the passengers are cheaper than cargos; which I'm not completely opposed to. I like the cargos because they're already stripped down and you can add windows that YOU want, such as sliders, etc. (I'm not sure if they make aftermarket replacement windows for the passenger)

I'm just slightly torn because again, I don't want another high car payment BUT I think it would be a little silly to put a bunch of money into a build when it's already got 75k on it or whatever. Granted I'm sure a ton of people do it, such as the people who do the skoolie conversions but I guess I'm all about trying to find that balance where my payment isn't too high and I'm happy with the mileage upon purchase ya know?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just bought ours at 78k miles. Put 4K miles on it this month without a hiccup. No regrets so far.

We paid $22k OTD for a 2017. Fair price in our area (southeast).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Yea, EVERYONE is ahha.

I'm finding a lot of vans in the 25-30k range for sub 40/50k miles, but in this area the passengers are cheaper than cargos; which I'm not completely opposed to. I like the cargos because they're already stripped down and you can add windows that YOU want, such as sliders, etc. (I'm not sure if they make aftermarket replacement windows for the passenger)

I'm just slightly torn because again, I don't want another high car payment BUT I think it would be a little silly to put a bunch of money into a build when it's already got 75k on it or whatever. Granted I'm sure a ton of people do it, such as the people who do the skoolie conversions but I guess I'm all about trying to find that balance where my payment isn't too high and I'm happy with the mileage upon purchase ya know?
The passenger vans will have full length air bags, which could be a plus if you intend to leave any of the passenger seating. You would need to work around the air bags in the balance of the vehicle. If you will have no passenger seating then you will need to work around the entire length of airbag or remove them. If you remove them then you will then have an airbag light on which you may need/want to address. If you search those two topics, there is quite a bit that has been posted about them. Also, if you look around this site there are some passenger vans with creative uses of the floor brackets to make flexible/modular builds. Be careful about planning to replace the windows in a passenger van, I believes some of the makes of "oem fit" aftermarket windows are not exact to the factory opening but slightly smaller in the corner radii. I am not sure if that is true for all of the window manufacturers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't buy a used Transit unless you purchase an Extended Maintenance Warranty because I had my 2016 Transit 350 HD into the dealership service over 7 months at a different time due to Diesel Engine and Transmission severe problems where they had to be removed. The problems started with me purchasing used from a dealer with 2600 miles on the odometer with a new car Title and warranty. It turns out this Transit was previously owned and had many Engines / Transmission problems and Ford had to buy it back from the owner under The Lemon Laws. Under these laws, the dealer is to disclose buybacks, Issue a salvage Title or Destroy the Vehicle. I broke down at 2 am in backwoods Kentucky on my way to Atlanta and had to limp Mode all the way to a dealer in Franklin Tenneessee from Detroit. I told the dealer the dashboard indicated a Transmission and Engine problem. They told me no it was only an Engine problem and I told them no. They gave me an F150 loaner and called me in a month to return the F150 back in Franklin Tennessee and pick up my repaired transit. I asked if they repaired the Engine and Transmission and they said only the Engine was the problem. On my return to Detroit the Transmission went out in Lima Ohio and I had to Limp Mode to a Detroit Bob Maxey Dealership. This is when I found out it was previously bought back from the previous owner as a Lemon by Ford Motor Company. I obtained all of the previous owner's Repairs and Ford buyback . Under my Extended Maintenance Warranty,6years or 100,000 miles I was to get reimbursed for my Breakdown Expenses.I received one check for approx $600 for hotel & food and Ford gave me the run around for 5 months before they acknowledged to reimburse me for the Ohio Breakdown Expenses. They dodged my reimbursement Requests until COVID hit Feb 2020 and since then refused to answer their phones and email supposedly due to employees working from home. Ford did pay for all repairs for the five times the Truck was in the Dealership but continued to harass the F____ out of me for the Monthly Ford Credit payments while I wasn't able to use the Transit for my Construction Business to haul various materials. I was afraid to Drive the Truck out of fears of it breaking down again. Ford sent Engineers on several occasions to ride in the Transit in attempts to Diagnose the ongoing problems. They said it was the Drive Shaft, Differential, Transmission, DEF Heater, and every BS excuse as the problems. Thes transit presently has only 27000 miles and cost me a lot of income. I contacted Better Business Bureau and Ford and they dismissed my claims.I presently have turned it over to my Attorney to sue Ford For Fraudently sell me a Lemon Law Buy Back without Disclosing it as a Lemmom and not issuing a Salvage Title to Disclose it as a Lemon. Accessories listed on The Sticker were also not installed from Ford on The Truck as purchased.
contact me at [email protected] if you need me to provide any additional information.

·
Super Moderator
3,734 Posts
Sorry to hear you've had such a terrible experience, you are a prime example of the YMMV caveat. Most of us have been fine without an extended maintenance warranty, I personally have had zero "problems" with 3 different Transits, and at 27k miles your van is within the 36k bumper to bumper warranty and not even half way to the 60k drivetrain one.

Good to hear you have a lawyer involved, hopefully they can rattle the right chains to get some satisfaction!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts