Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,158 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
I feel like Ford is missing out by having other websites offer build and pricing while they are not. They must lose out on some decent web traffic because of that. I find the set-ups for both of these pretty confusing. There are so many options for the Ford Transit. Asking the dealer for help making sense of it all will probably be really helpful.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
I feel like Ford is missing out by having other websites offer build and pricing while they are not. They must lose out on some decent web traffic because of that. I find the set-ups for both of these pretty confusing. There are so many options for the Ford Transit. Asking the dealer for help making sense of it all will probably be really helpful.
Your Ford dealer has access to two publications that are very helpful in explaining what options are available and what they are. One is titled "2015 Transit "Whats Important". It is 72 pages long and describes all your choices. It does not give you the actual order code identification number/letter. The second publication is 18 pages long and is titled "Major Product Features". The second publication will give you the actual order codes. Between the two, you can determine what options you may want.

I still have a couple of questions but I am 95% there in determining what I want.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I know there has been some confusion about engine availability in different length/height configurations, but am I reading this correctly?
If you want the extended length (which is roughly equivalent to the interior length of a regular body 170" wheelbase Sprinter) you must get the highest roof as well. (I'm only 5' 6" so medium roof would have been fine)
In that long/tall model there are two engine choices only......the twin turbo or the diesel.
The diesel is only a $3521 (at invoice) option?
And includes dual batteries plus cruise control?

3.2L Power Stroke diesel inline five-cylinder engine; Cruise control; Message Center featuring full trip computer, engine-hour meter and engine idle hour meter; Dual batteries; PTC heater
So already you are limited to a potentially high maintenance engine in that configuration, and the premium to move up to the diesel is actually within payback range?
My whole idea of going Blue Oval this time around was to get back to basics, but I kind of got used to the interior space of my 170" regular length Sprinter.
If those are the only two engine choices I've really got to reconsider...
Then again maybe having Ford techs all over the WORLD being familiar with these exotics could make the difference.
Orton at least still has his Sprinter and doesn't have to rush, mine's been sent to the crusher.
Then again he's got ten years on me so maybe I even more so have the luxury of waiting to sort it all out.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Orton at least still has his Sprinter and doesn't have to rush, mine's been sent to the crusher.
Then again he's got ten years on me so maybe I even more so have the luxury of waiting to sort it all out.
You are correct. At my age (75) I need to make a decision sooner than I would if younger. Normally I would wait a year to let them sort out some of the inevitable bugs. Since it took me 2 years + to complete the Sprinter conversion, I need to get moving before the reaper shows up. The plan is to overlap the buy and sell so I keep a travel vehicle while building the Transit. I already have 18 CAD drawings completed for the Transit conversion. All I need is a Transit. I do need to drive the Transit to be sure it drives as well as the Sprinter. Now that I have some conversion experience and know where to source everything, I should be able to complete the Transit in a year.

It is interesting that I do not need to be concerned about engine life because whatever I buy will probably last longer than the time I have left to drive. Good and bad at the same time.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Life has it's strange twists and turns. At the Detroit Auto Show over 12 years ago my sons used their "family radios" to tell me "Dad, you gotta see this van! I said "Yeah, I saw that Chevy with the full conversion, T.V. and all".
They said "No, not that, this thing is HUGE! Even your tallest buddies could stand up in it!"
I had never even heard of a Sprinter, and indeed they weren't yet available in the U.S.
I thought.....One Day!
Well in 2008 we took the plunge.
The kid old enough to man the radio is now flying auto parts on a B727, and his younger brother graduated with a B.S. from a respected university just a few days ago.
Meanwhile their big sister has allowed us to take care of our granddaughter this past week while she prepares to relocate to FL where her husband has been transferred.
When that MB 500 SL hit our Sprinter head on at a speed in excess of 100 mph less than four months ago I was in it alone, and had what seemed like hours to think about what was happening on that two lane bridge with concrete barriers on either side.
I'm over 60, this might be my last van and I hope to enjoy it well into my eighties, or who knows, maybe some a$$hole will once again take it away from me. I'm not going to sweat the purchase price issues, but really don't want to put too much effort into the conversion this time around. But then again that hobby is a joy in itself, so who knows.
I'm guessing the young parents of large families considering the Transit have different concerns than Orton right now, but what a great resource he can be to all of us given his Sprinter conversion experience as well as his expertise in what is currently known regarding the Transit.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Thanks. The next van conversion will definitely be better than the Sprinter. The Sprinter simply works for my application and am very happy with how it worked out. It is fun trying to fit everything wanted in a small box. But it can be done. Everyone has different needs so one design is not suitable for everyone. It helps to have everyone share so we can pick and choose from the many ideas.

·
Registered
640 Posts
"It helps to have everyone share so we can pick and choose from the many ideas."

I have re-thought what I want many times and keep coming up with the same results because of many others comments on what they want. I hope everyone gets what they want.

VanMan

·
Registered
539 Posts
Thanks. The next van conversion will definitely be better than the Sprinter. The Sprinter simply works for my application and am very happy with how it worked out. It is fun trying to fit everything wanted in a small box. But it can be done. Everyone has different needs so one design is not suitable for everyone. It helps to have everyone share so we can pick and choose from the many ideas.
that is very true, you really have to see what exactly you need, almost having it down to a science will likely help. good to know it all in detail.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Here is what I keep coming back to:
CARGO VAN
148" (long wheel base)
Mid-roof
ecoboost (I want GDI/turbo's) 300+ hp
Blue jean color
Sliding R/H door
270 deg. rear roors w/window/defog
Hitch
back up camera
cloth seats
full paneled interior/cargo hooks
full floor covering
air/cruise/ best radio/nav system
turn signal miriors
Alum. big wheels/tires
3.31 axle
about 42K, will not be a work truck, but 2nd-3rd vehicle to use when I want (travel)

VanMan

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
My use is to convert cargo van to a camper. The following is my latest order configuration:

R2X T-250 148" High Roof 9000 GVWR with sliding right side door.
X4L 4.10 Limited Slip Axle Ratio
21D Dual bucket seats with driver side manual lumbar
53B Heavy duty trailer tow package
98C CNG/LPG gaseous engine prep package
63C 220 amp heavy duty alternator
63E Dual heavy duty batteries
41H Engine block heater
542 Heated short arm power windows with turn signals
17B Fixed sliding door window and rear windows
92E Privacy glass
58V Am/fm single CD radio
67D Trailer brake controller
60C Cruise control
62C Aux. heater & A/C prep package without rear controls
85D LED load compartment lighting package
94C Front map lights
61C Rear view camera
68B Remote start
86F Two additional keys
67C Four user defined upfitter switches (includes 53K modified vehicle wiring system with kit)
90B Rear 12 v power point.

Any comments on what I have missed or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Originally you were thinking extended, right? So this one will be two feet shorter than your Sprinter? Are you going with the reg body so you can get the base engine?
What does the 350 offer over the 250, and would it make any difference for your trailer hauling?
What's the difference between short arm and long arm mirrors, and is long better for trailer towing? (oh and you have a typo calling them windows)

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
You never heard of short arm windows? Unfortunately this web site only lets you correct an error for about 10 minutes. So it should read mirrors but I can not correct it.
No on length. I have always been looking at the 148" long wheel base. Not the extended version. The 148" WB gives me about 6" more conversion length than the 144" WB Sprinter. I was about 6" short with my Sprinter layout so this should be just about right. I can get the 3.7 non-turbo gas engine in the 148" high roof.
I have the same question about the 250 vs. the 350. I think it may only be heavier duty springs for higher payload. My thought is to buy the 250 with around 3000 lbs payload. My Sprinter conversion added 2100 lbs and the next conversion should be a couple hundred pounds lighter. That gives me around 1000 lbs + margin. I am afraid the 350 would be too stiff in the back. I will not be doing much trailer hauling. I have learned from previous vehicle purchases that the trailer hitch options usually gets you some heavier duty parts in the drive train. Hitch cost buys the added robustness.
The short arm mirrors are fine unless you have a wide trailer. Long arms just stick out further. I think it would be beneficial to have the additional turn signals on the mirrors that also are heated.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Had I not salvaged the aluminum bunk beds and gaucho from my 170" '08 Sprinter I too would be fine with the reg body long wheelbase, but I really liked the set-up I had sleeping multiple folks all on the drivers side lengthwise.
But to get the extended which is only 2" longer than my Sprinter was I have to go with the high roof when medium is all I really need (I'm the tallest in the family at 5'6"), and I would not be able to go with the base engine. So to get the length I want I have to add height and engine complexity + $, and I'm getting the impression that for my typical highway cruising I will burn way more fuel between the additional height and H.P.
Maybe I better rethink trying to duplicate the floor plan we had grown accustomed to.
Oh and the mirrors, I too want to go with the short arm heated, hope they are not too far in the future availability list.

·
Registered
80 Posts
More questions. Why 4.10 rear axle instead of 3.73. Anyone know anything about the limited slip rear axle for the Transit, type, manufacturer and how it works?
Why high roof over mid roof?

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
4.10 is required for the high roof 148" WB with 3.7 engine. I originally wanted the 3.73 but that is only available in the ambulance package. After thinking about it, the 4.10 is probably right for me. I replaced my original 245 Sprinter tires with taller 265 tires. If they will clear, that is probably what I will do with the Transit also. So I will end up with lower numerical ratio.
Somewhere I have read the name Sterling for the rear end. It is a mechanical LS.
I like the looks of the medium roof and wanted to purchase that. After doing some drawings I could not make it work. I measured the bare steel shell at 71 1/2" from top of corrugated floor to bottom of roof rib at van centerline at LA auto show. Less height toward the van sides. I am 70" tall. I have a 1 1/2" thick composite floor in my Sprinter conversion. It gives me a place for insulation and paths for electrical and plumbing. Did not want to give that up. I also have a swing down bed designed so need the height for that also.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Why did you think you wanted the 3.73?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I'm still not sure if even MY head will clear the knob on my Fantastic fan if I put any kind of real floor in a medium roof and have even just a slight bit of energy & robusticity in my step!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts