Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with a USB rechargeable bug zapper? Worth it or not?

I've looked at many versions on Amazon and most have reasonably favorable reviews. The most negative reviews seem to be from people with unrealistic expectations of what this size devise can do.

We have screens in the Turtle but inevitably a few mosquitoes get in the van when we do. I'm hoping in the small and confined space of the Transit, one of these zappers would work well enough to eliminate the few mosquitoes that have gotten inside.

Aldi's has one on sale next week. I'm tempted to just go get one

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
I have a solar recharging one from, what, 10 years ago? It works great for gnats and some other bugs. I've seen it get a couple mosquitoes, but they aren't generally attracted to UV like other flying insects. If you want to kill off the mosquitos, I think you need something that is purpose-made for them, with a special bait in it or something.

Pro tip:
If you've got one or two that are evading your attempts to swat, grab the cordless dustbuster and suck 'em up when they land somewhere. I do this at home to great effect. I have the Dyson V10 set to "high", and it will pull them in from over a foot away.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Repelling mosquitos and noseeums and others with lemon eucalyptus and / or peppermint oils was a game changer. Rosemary and peppermint around the boat dock also repelled and eliminated the spiders and wasps. Do a search and you'll find tips and recipes. Saturating several 10" old shoe strings or candle wick material and clothes pinning the strips to the corners of the awning or antenna or bumper or bike rack or ladder or running boards or wheel wells or mirrors is kinda out of the way where you don't walk into them. Keep them in a zip lock bag or tupperware and add more liquid as needed. Citronella works too, so pick or find the favored smell.

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
I've tried the smells, including fancy essential oils, and those electronic mosquito repellers, and neither worked very well. They may have repelled some mosquitos, but still kept getting bit. The only thing that works 100% for me is DEET, and I don't like to use it in the van.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
In the 1960s B-29 bombers were used for mosquito spraying in Iowa farm country, It was quite the sight to see one come in low over town. Wide open spaces, you could see and hear it when it was still ten miles from town. They just made one pass before heading to the next town.
It looks like the Air Force still sprays today.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts