Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time lurker, first time build thread poster in this forum. I have build threads going back to 2004 on Honda forums for my car builds but this will be my first shot at a van.

Current plans:
  • Did the full commit selling my house so I will be homeless March 19th. The plan is to take my Tundra + Travel trailer down south for a few months while I order van parts, then when I come back build the van to live in for the next year. (This could change)

Build goals:
  • Building this van for 2 people + my boxer dog.
  • Ability to store 3 mountain bikes.
  • Offgrid boondocking build.
  • Simple, modular, easy to work on.
  • Work station since I will be working remotely.
Current parts for build:
  • Titan Solar generator + extra 150AH Li battery - 400watt of pannels
  • FVC Roof rack to mount everything.
  • Weboost 4g kit + unlimited data hotspot (Calyx) Been using it for 6 months.
  • Scopema Swivel seats
  • Tons of small stuff.
Here is my van! 2017 Ecoboost high roof w/tow kit, brake controller, backup camera, ladder rack (Selling if you need one) new tires, cruise control.

I have been inspired for years by all of your builds so I cannot wait to start on my own. I have nearly zero wood working experience so this will be interesting.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Past builds for some context and because I love to show them off.

1988 Honda crx Si - Got it stock in 2004, and have rebuilt it more times then I can count. Currently is 500hp, LSvtec, GSR LSD trans, turbo charged, street car.

Race car is a 2003 Honda s2000 I saved from getting crushed. Got this S2000 for $2,250 on Craigslist and had it looking close to it does now in 3 months. **** of a recovery from a double salvage mess of a s2000.

This is my 1992 Honda civic drag car called the Zero. Another fun hyper budget $200 Craigslist car, that I tossed a $100 D16z6 in it, turboed it then ran 12's all day. Car has a Turbo GSR w/ITR trans in picture below. I race this in Gridlife TA street class, so the van will also be used for hauling my racecars.

Lastly I have my Tundra. Picked this up a year ago, and built it out for bike hauling, overlanding, surviving harsh Minnesota winters.

Anyway if you have any questions please let me know!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I have nearly zero wood working experience so this will be interesting.
Check out some of the woodworking videos from Kreg tool on making cabinets. They helped me a bunch. I used pocket hole joinery throughout my build.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got the floor nearly done this weekend.

Cut and glued plywood in between all the ribs. I'm 6'2 so I want all the head room possible.

Foam layer sandwich between plywood.

I used one giant sheet of vinyl so it should be a really nice water barrier. I have a strong mold allergy so the more protection I can get the better.

Got the roof rack installed. Super easy install. Took a few hours.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Does anyone have a recommendation for an LSD?
For your $200 Civic? Given your user name I suspect you may have a sense of humor.
Bit of a Honda fanboy myself. Although a more of a how long will it last not how fast will go type.
78 Civic Wagon, 82 Accord, 94 Integra, 04 TSX (current), 01 Odyssey, 07 Odyssey(current) - All MT except van.

How about this red van 532 whp 6speed manual.
(at the Honda Heritage center in Marysville. OH) Fun visit.
Should have scheduled plant tour. Needs to be done well in advance
20180403_122644.jpg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Someone who understands me.
I have a deep respect for the list 🙇‍♂️ You rarely see a Odyssey racecar so well done sir pioneering in that space. Assuming you're running a J35? Besides Bisimoto, the only other racing Odyssey I have seen is a guy who races in Gridlife GLTC class.

You caught me on the screen name, I can never take them seriously. ;)

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I have a deep respect for the list 🙇‍♂️ You rarely see a Odyssey racecar so well done sir pioneering in that space. Assuming you're running a J35? Besides Bisimoto, the only other racing Odyssey I have seen is a guy who races in Gridlife GLTC class.

You caught me on the screen name, I can never take them seriously. ;)
Not my van. Why did you think that? It's the work of the factory boys.

Yup the van is J35. LX trim so thankfully no VCM. 190K miles runs like a top. Original transmission too.
TSX is a K24 170K miles burns 1qt every 1K (of course). Has lead a rougher life than the van 😈
Would love to find a low mileage mint MT6 Gen1 TSX to replace it. Just discontinued Accord MT6 2.0T is compelling if I could get over the size. Transit will be my first forced air vehicle.

So the $64K question is: Will you be the first on this forum to lower your van by 2" rather than raise it?
BTW - I case you haven't heard, you'd be better off taking weight out not adding it on.🤣

Speaking of screen names, NJVagabond has never lived one day out of the state (not counting vacations).
And as for my Avatar, other than liking the look of a rusted one in an overgrown field, I have never had any interest in pickup trucks.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Past builds for some context and because I love to show them off.

View attachment 146960
Ahhh...good memories. I drove a red '92 CX hatchback for 10 years, and it was a phenomenal vehicle for a fresh college grad. Mine was stock, and got 43 mpg. in the city, and 48 mpg. on the highway. That said, it barely had enough power to get out of its own way, but I was saving a boatload of money on fuel.

I had a roof rack on the car, and often carried two tandems (one MTB, one road) on the roof. :cool:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Made some major progress over the weekend! Finished the garage walls, and the insulation in that area. The walls are made from 1/2 Baltic birch.

I used the wood to support my 8020 that is rivnutted to the supports. In retrospect, I really regret not using 15 series. 10 was just too weak so had to support it more than I had planned.

As you can see I ran my shore power. I found this nice spot on the bumper so I don't have to drill a hole in the metal body. This will power my 24v charger to that will charge my Titan solar controller.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The bed:

I cut the bed platform to lay on top of everything to get the max amount of space possible. This was the most challenging cut to date because the van is a bubble and gets larger in the middle.

^^^
I also built a box for the wheel well cover with a shelf. The one on the right was made from awful materials so it looks like trash.

Flying by the seat of my pants and learning as I go here.

^^^
I used a router to cut out the depth of the 8020 90 brackets so the entire top would sit flush.

^^^^
I got the same 500LBS drawer slides most get from China (They came beat to ****) Not happy for the amount I paid for them.

Started building drawers. One is wide for 3/4 mountain bikes, one is for my tools/generator/water storage.

^^^
Testing with my size large Pivot switchblade.

·
Registered
2019 MR non-ext
89 Posts
Funny, I used the exact same Noco plug in that exact same spot and went into the van using the that exact same opening.

Build looks good so far!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

^^^
Rough layout idea for the driver's side front.

^^^
I got many of the walls installed. We used 1/2 for the garage, and 1/4 for the walls. Kinda regretting not putting up 1/2 for everything so I can mount stuff to them.

^^^
Finished up the sliding drawers, and got the garage area mostly finished. If I had to do it again, I would change a few things but overall we are very pleased.

Question:
Also what do you guys use on the indestructible steel around the doors? I cannot drill that stuff at all.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Test trip report: Took the van out to Two Harbors in MN to test out some 20 degree night camping in a less than half insulated van.

Snow rain for the first day.

We had some SERIOUS condensation issues on both nights. My fan was not hooked up for the trip and boy did we need it. It was raining by morning inside.

^^^
Got out finally to Cuyuna MN to test out my new Pivot Switchblade on some trails. Still healing from an injury in November so its been challenging to re-learn a lot of my bike skill.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts