Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I now have two out of four flip out windows with broken plastic frames at the hinges. It looks like a design flaw due to the weight of the windows on the hinge while driving with them open. Add to that, two of them have leaked from day one, and I probably wouldn't recommend ordering this option. It looks like they have to replace the entire window to fix them. Unless they have an updated design I may see if they'll replace them with fixed glass.
JP

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Never drove with mine open, guess I better not!

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I just started using my Wagon's one flip-out window more on my first trip, so thanks for the heads up JP4. I seldom have it open when driving. Very handy though for naps on the bench seat and a small fan rigged up to keep the air moving.

What was the name of Fred Flintstone's cave? That's me napping on my bench seat with cave man curtain hanging behind the front seats!

Need a new thread [email protected] . . .

Yabba dabba doo!

:)

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I am having a different problem with the flip-out on my slider.
The glue bonding the lower hinge to the glass failed.
Dealer tried to fix it, but his glue attempt had already failed by the time I came to pick up Annie. He has a full replacement coming. My understanding is that it arrives yesterday or today.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Not happy to hear this as I have ordered the slider flip outs. For those with these windows, do you see any potential to remove the offending opening portion and retrofiting a slider window or fan?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Well the replacement window arrived broken, so dealer has re-ordered.

In the meanwhile, I was able to epoxy the current window back to the hinge (took three tries with lots of sanding and cleaning), and so far it's holding.
Ugly as **** with lots of excess glue, but it may work until the real thing shows up.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Stan, that must be testing your patience. In your opinion, would an after market slide window of any kind be retrofittable in the flip out space? I have never seen one up close, but I did order one in my build.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I suppose anything is possible, but I think it would be tricky. I am pretty sure that it's easy enough to remove the pop-out glass. Removing the hinge and latch hardware might be a challenge.

The pop-out, when closed, is pretty close to flush with the main window. I'd be concerned that a slider & mechanism would either stick out or be recessed. I can sort of envision some sort of system that slides the window similar to the sliding door.

It might be easier to design a louver window than a slider. Might also provide more open area.

In either approach, I don't know of anything COTS. This would probably need to be a custom design.

Stan

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I suppose anything is possible, but I think it would be tricky. I am pretty sure that it's easy enough to remove the pop-out glass. Removing the hinge and latch hardware might be a challenge.

The pop-out, when closed, is pretty close to flush with the main window. I'd be concerned that a slider & mechanism would either stick out or be recessed. I can sort of envision some sort of system that slides the window similar to the sliding door.

It might be easier to design a louver window than a slider. Might also provide more open area.

In either approach, I don't know of anything COTS. This would probably need to be a custom design.

Stan
Thanks for that Stan. When I ordered pop-out windows I had no idea they really meant it!!! I am wondering if the closing impact of the sliding door is just too much shock for the glued pop-out design?

I am already anticipating a fix and don't even have my van yet!!! I would hate to have to remove and replace the whole window unit without some expectation of an improved design.

Would probably prefer a custom refit of the popper only, if feasible. Good luck, I hope to follow your progress!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for that Stan. When I ordered pop-out windows I had no idea they really meant it!!! I am wondering if the closing impact of the sliding door is just too much shock for the glued pop-out design?

I am already anticipating a fix and don't even have my van yet!!! I would hate to have to remove and replace the whole window unit without some expectation of an improved design.

Would probably prefer a custom refit of the popper only, if feasible. Good luck, I hope to follow your progress!
One of mine in the slider broke, but the other broken one is in the back. In my case I'm pretty sure they broke because I was driving with them open over a short stretch of bumpy gravel road. The thin plastic frame can't handle the weight of the glass.
My son has a Honda Element and my wife a Toyota Sienna. Both have very robust pop out windows. I don't know what Ford was thinking when they designed these.
It's a bummer, but so far it's the only thing that really irritates me with my Transit. I'm Really leaning toward getting the broken ones replaced under warranty with the factory fixed glass if Ford will agree to it. Then I'll go the Maxxair fan route for ventilation.
JP

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
The CR Laurence thread has further discussion of replacement glass issues FYI:

http://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/camper-vans-conversions/4186-c-r-laurence-co-inc-windows.html

The basic problem is that the new 2015 Transit is uni-body construction (vs. steel body on frame), with all the glass being bonded to the metal body's "rough openings."

Gone are the vast expanses of single-wall sheet metal, into which all kinds of windows could be retro-fitted. Our window openings are well-defined with complicated "borders" which defy installation of the old traditional windows held held in at the sheet metal by a rubber gasket.

The flip-out window openings (within a field of fixed glass) are very small, so even if an operable slider could fit within the existing "rough opening," it would be difficult to attach it to the fixed (1/8" ?) tempered glass already in place. With what, a small rubber gasket like the old days? Like reinventing the wheel IMO. Wheely!

The passenger Wagons like mine add further complications into the mix . . . (interior trim, headliner, etc.)

Until Ford wakes up and commits itself to serious operable windows for the new Transit bodies, a la Club Wagon days of yesteryear, we are all stuck with flipping out over the issue . . .

:)

Reactions: gggGary

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
One of mine in the slider broke, but the other broken one is in the back. In my case I'm pretty sure they broke because I was driving with them open over a short stretch of bumpy gravel road. The thin plastic frame can't handle the weight of the glass.
My son has a Honda Element and my wife a Toyota Sienna. Both have very robust pop out windows. I don't know what Ford was thinking when they designed these.
It's a bummer, but so far it's the only thing that really irritates me with my Transit. I'm Really leaning toward getting the broken ones replaced under warranty with the factory fixed glass if Ford will agree to it. Then I'll go the Maxxair fan route for ventilation.
JP
Did yours fail at the epoxy bonds or did something else break?

Stan

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
... I am wondering if the closing impact of the sliding door is just too much shock for the glued pop-out design?...
In my case, I suspect the gluing robot forgot its morning coffee. The original epoxy was only partly covering the main window's hinge attachment plate and same with the pop-out glass.

Stan

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Here's how mine failed:

Quite a different problem, which may be a good thing.:s

Stan

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Found a good image of the flip out window FYI. Image 21 of 41 in the Photo Gallery linked below shows the flip-out window really well. It is the large photo on the right about 1/2 way down, looking at the driver's side from behind with a dark brown body. Click on that photo to see it enlarged, and you can scroll through also once you enlarge one photo.

http://www.fleet.ford.com/fleet-gal...rucks&yr=2016&md=TransitCommercial&brand=Ford

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Peter, The openable portion looks larger than I had thought. I can understand now how the mass of that piece of glass could be problematic in a glued installation, opened, on a washboard road. Hope Ford sorts it out before about 20 october 2015!!!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Peter, The openable portion looks larger than I had thought. I can understand now how the mass of that piece of glass could be problematic in a glued installation, opened, on a washboard road. Hope Ford sorts it out before about 20 october 2015!!!
I'm sure it's a fairly heavy piece of glass. On our two other cars with similar flip out windows, the hinges are bolted through the glass. Much better design.
JP

Reactions: PeterR

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Not great.

Might we suggest that Ford issue an advisory "do not open Flip-Out Glass when closing side door, or moving the vehicle, due to fragile window design"

Reactions: JP4

·
Registered
369 Posts
I am placing my order tomorrow. My plan was to get pop out windows. Should I pass on the pop outs or should I still get them but make sure to only use them when the van is not moving? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts