1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Just ordered two 200 watt 24 volt Rich Solar panels for my Plan B. They will be wired in parallel and used to charge my Bluetti AC200P. I also have four 200 watt 18 volt Dokio folding panels and three 160 watt 18 volt Dokio folding panels for additional charging of the AC200P, charging my Bluetti EB2400 and my Bluetti EB70S. All have separate functions and can be used in the house if needed in a power outage.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I would look at cells before manufacturer. Personally, I prefer the Maxeon cells, but it seems they've pretty much dried up now that Sunpower spun off the panel side of the business and LG is no longer making panels either. Currently I'm playing around with these 9 busbar PERC cells which seem to be about 5% better than your normal mono cells.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
The ones that fit on your roof mount setup are the right ones.

If you tend to be in a lot of overcast conditions, then it is worth considering poly instead of mono but it will still be close.

Some panels have stronger frames and this can sometimes be used to reduce the frame work needed to make it stable and not vibrate.

Personally, I am still a big fan of solarland even though their panels are a bit more expensive.

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
I have had a single 300 watt LG Neon for about 6 years. No issues and installed without a roof rack. Single panel simplifies the install and reduces amount of wiring on the roof. I used two 90 degree bulkhead fittings for the roof penetrations. Bought a 15' MC4 extension cable and cut it in two to connect panel to the solar controller. Kept the panel MC4 connectors under the panel.

Solar System | Orton Travel Transit (ortontransit.info)

I just googled LG solar panels and it seems they are still being sold?

LG Solar Panels - Low Wholesale Prices (solarelectricsupply.com)

Would buy a single again but probably a higher watt panel. Have not had a need for more watts for my use but why not if now available.

·
Registered
9,574 Posts
When looking at modules for supplemental power to keep batteries topped off, and reading posts HERE, I decided that flexible modules with ETFE surface were the way to go. Brand? Who cares, as long as they have been around a while and get good reviews; probably all made in the same factory, anyway.

The "flexible" modules mounted on lexan thermoclear multiwall sheets are less than an inch tall combined, and can easily fit the roof contour. The hollow lexan panel allows airflow to keep the modules cooler than if they were mounted directly on the van. I'm guessing that the modules made to be "flexible" would be able to survive impact a little better than the rigid modules. Hail, pinecones, etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
REC Alpha 400 because my buddy who installs solar systems recommended them, and they fit.
I nearly went with the Alpha Pure 400's but they have a much higher Voc, so I was concerned I couldn't do three in series with a 150V controller. And 1110W total seemed like plenty.

The main thing I like about the Alpha line is the split panel design, so even when one half of the panel is shaded, the other half still works fine.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I nearly went with the Alpha Pure 400's but they have a much higher Voc, so I was concerned I couldn't do three in series with a 150V controller. And 1110W total seemed like plenty.

The main thing I like about the Alpha line is the split panel design, so even when one half of the panel is shaded, the other half still works fine.

Cheers.
I'm only using two, so voltage isn't an issue for me. I think the frames on the RECs might be a little more robust than some other brands.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
4,005 Posts
Bought four 24V 200W Rich Solar panels for this rig. No issues, but never really see the full 800W out of them. Pretty close... seen 780W or so tops. Seems like we exceeded the output of the panel rating on the ones we had on the Sprinter (Renogy 160W units); but I can't really be sure - didn't have the clear visibility to the output that we have now. My guess is that these are actually more like 180W output - and just fine for that.

Would not hesitate to purchase them again unless there was some panel where the measurement was a better fit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts