Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
In the Western States, it has always been mainstream. It just took Instagrammer's and #vanlife-er's a while to figure out where everybody had gone while they were glued to their phones - and then overcome the trauma at the prospect of being off-line for more than 30 seconds.

·
Registered
7 Posts
After 18 months on the Panamerican, I can say I'm generally stoked to be in a country where Boondocking in the middle of nowhere is 1) Generally considered safe 2) Public! Cheap solar/battery setups, amazon ready fridges delivered in 2 days, satellite maps and Instagram pins all definitely part of the equation too.

·
Registered
377 Posts
That headline is the most depressing story of the last few years. I wish they'd all go back to their couches and quit trashing (literally) all the beautiful and serene places I once found solace in. I want to be happy they're getting more time outdoors, but it's not easy. It's just boomboxes, beer bottles, and toilet paper everywhere.

·
Registered
2017, cargo, 130inch, mr, dbl sliders, 3.2 dsl, 3.31 rear end, used 13.5k mi.
38 Posts
B A N : boomboxes, beer bottles, and toilet paper IN THE BOONDOCKS!!! NOW!!!

And if not, you buttheads better wise-up as the shitholes you make will one day be your natural state!

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Don't fret, after just a few trips to the backcountry, these people will never go back. I'll bet in less than a year there are going to be VERY good deals on barely used camping equipment and overlander vehicles. Several idiots are trying to sell DIY Sprinter 4x4 campervans on craigslist for $150-200k+ right now. ($65k van + $20k of bolt-on equipment should = $85k, not $200k. Maybe my math is bad?)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Well your math is bad because you put no value on a persons time and neglected profit. Now how MUCH profit is the question mark.
You and I wouldn’t buy it but someone else may. Someone who has few of the skills or time but can make up for it with money.
Kind of like how I want to buy a van that Ford already built instead of making my own from scratch. Ford is charging a nice sum for a little steel and rubber pounded into shapes.

·
Registered
373 Posts
IMHO, $150K for a built-out 4x4 Transit or Sprinter camper van is about right. I have the skills and built my own, but I'd want at least that to build one for somebody else.

·
Registered
373 Posts
No more boondocking in California for a while.

We just an alert that with all the fires (and morons making new ones) USFS has closed all of the National Forests in CA to all and any use. Apparently, that specifically includes dispersed campers, who are being told to move out. I guess there will be a meth shortage in a couple of weeks....... jk

Reactions: surly Bill

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Well your math is bad because you put no value on a persons time and neglected profit. Now how MUCH profit is the question mark.
You and I wouldn’t buy it but someone else may. Someone who has few of the skills or time but can make up for it with money.
Kind of like how I want to buy a van that Ford already built instead of making my own from scratch. Ford is charging a nice sum for a little steel and rubber pounded into shapes.
Yeah, but you should see these "builds". It's just off-the-shelf stuff bolted on, and the few things that have to be specific to the van look like they were made in a jr high shop class (if they still had shop class...). I'd say adding $20k for their one month of shopping and bolting would be fair, but not $70-100k. I hate gougers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Fair amount of whining in this thread.

I've been in the woods since I was a kid. Everywhere I've been, in every era, there's been **** heads of every age, creed, race, and gender. That's how it is.

The outdoors belong to anyone willing to venture into it. It's not yours, nor is it your place to judge those who go out. I applaud anyone who didn't grow up in the outdoors who is giving it a try. Yep, they're gonna suck at it. But that's how you learn.

One of these newbs might be the next Thoreau, so shut the **** up before you ruin something. 😐

·
Registered
240 Posts
I saw a lot of "Stealth" Sprinters and Transits in our valley this summer. One thing that became a lot more common this year are the number of E-bikes loaded onto to racks on the back of the vans. I suppose it is nice to see couch potatoes all over the place riding their E-bikes. 2 E-bikes and the rack needed to carry these heavy monsters is $8 to $10K. I suppose that if they can afford $120K on a camper van, what's another $10K for E-bikes.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The outdoors belong to anyone willing to venture into it. It's not yours, nor is it your place to judge those who go out. I applaud anyone who didn't grow up in the outdoors who is giving it a try. Yep, they're gonna suck at it. But that's how you learn.
I totally agree. I particularly like to see young children and out-of-shape adults.

·
Registered
38 Posts
"The outdoors belong to anyone willing to venture into it. It's not yours, nor is it your place to judge those who go out."

Apparently, you have never met one of my brothers. Abject disregard for the presence or respect of others, remote environment locales, .... There are times when it, unfortunately, is appropriate to judge those who do go out, venturing beyond usual parameters of one's usual neighborhood and cause harm without legitimate cause. I would give a wide margin of understanding for nearly everyone seeking boonies, as the skill sets, motivations for doing so and benefit of doing so can be so great and unique for each individual. Still, the extremely rare (fortunately) individual with intractable anti-social behaviors may require nurturing and certainly judging their offensive behaviors is within the purvue of each of us. The true sociopaths, well, the John Wayne method of dealing with them may be reasonable: shoot first, ask questions later. By shoot, I define that with a hand-held camera/phone for the purpose of documentation.
I still love my brother, but hope you never have the opportunity to cross paths with him.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Looking out the window of dad's place in Colorado right now. (Traveled here from California in our van - open-camping except when in a national park camp-ground.) Lots and lots of folks boondocking in the forest across the way. Mostly good stewards. Not all.

We pick up trash when hiking / running / camping / boondocking. But that's been forever. We've been camping since I was a kid 50 years ago. Some people make it worse; I want to be one that makes it better.

I'm glad to see more people getting outdoors. They used to just dream about what they'd do some day. Now they're doing it. Good for them. Maybe they'll become better stewards as they witness others (who are worse than them, perhaps).

I hadn't heard about California stopping all use. Thankfully, we'd planned to be in the house in Mammoth next month; I'd be pretty bummed if we'd planned to be in the van and couldn't. 🤔

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey greoryx; good on you for conscious stewardship, you motivate me and as my spouse states too often, I could benefit from good motivation....

The Colorado venue sounds great. In western Washington, noxious, acrid smoke abounds today. Read about six new arrests for arson. Apparently, different families that disregarded local burn bans lit up the charcoal for cooking outside in dry grassy areas and "thought" they would be safe. Ouch! Arson charges for stupidity or more kindly put, ignorance. Three houses razed to the ground with nothing but ashes at one of the cook-outs.
Eecheemomma!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts