Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my grab handles installed. My Transit is set up to haul my bikes and to camp in. I have a BOLTITON Bike carrier system, Love it! So I went for their grab handles as Scott made tie down strap slots in the handles and makes it really nice place to keep my tie downs. It also has a helmet holder on the top of each rail for when you are back at the Van taking a break or you can hang a trash bin on them. Nice handles. I have my van pretty much set up and it is ready for the season once the craziness is resolved and we can get back to regular life again.

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
Those are pretty slick! I might weld together something similar with all this down-time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry to be the negative Nancy but I'm not a fan of them. Too high dollar ($200+), and the tie down tabs are just something to snag myself on getting in/out. Plus what good does having your tie down hanging in the back of the van do you when most use them up front? Bolt On stuff is over engineered and over priced. Rant over.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
If you are ordering your Transit van, the D-Pillar Assist handles are similar to these except they mount more into the inside area of the van. For the $60 MSRP option, it can be a great addition to your van. If you decide you don't like them, they can be a easy sell for close to $100 when compared to the aftermarket ones just like the Bolt-It-On ones.

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
1,794 Posts
Same ones I have. I was also worried about getting snagged on the Bolt It On and the OEM ones are "around the corner" of the D pillar enough that it felt weird on my wrist. I guess they wanted to preserve the rear door opening width.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Another method of obtaining a inexpensive door jam handle is to install a long bolt into the existing tapped bolt holes. Put a wood dowel over the bolt shank and then a bicycle rubber grip on the dowel. Easier to put your hand on the handle straight than having to turn your wrist 90 degrees.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I just mounted this yesterday.

I made a steel sandwich to give it a good purchase. I used the upper OEM mount but the lower didn't line up well with existing holes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Our solution to the back door grab bar issues... 1) installed a grab loop. At local canvas sewing shop, purchased 1" nylon strap and had the end "clamped" together using a grommet. Using predrilled hole in D-pillar, insert a cross nut, use bolt to attach the strap. Has worked very well for us. 2) installed a bar across each back door. We used 1/4" PVC pipe with end caps. Drill hole through both PVC pipe and end caps. Using predrilled holes in back door, insert a cross nut, use bolts to attach to back door. This provides a convenient handle to close the back doors from the inside and is a good "assist" bar. Depending on your confidence in the attachment, probably not a super weight bearing bar.
IMG_1008 copy.jpg van grab strap.jpg

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ordered the orange grab bars Saturday. arrived this morning and were on by lunch time.
Would like to get something similar for the slider.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts