Ford Transit USA Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
I don't have a sketch or any drawings really, just some chicken scratch on some cardboard. But here are some more pictures. You can see the bolts the I attached it to. All new bolts, washers and nuts are grade 8. I set the top of the lateral box tube to be at the same height as the oem step support and added two small angle pieces to extend it forward for a little more support on the step.
Nice work! My only comment/suggestion, from a guy who does (hobbyist) fabrication and was in the Jeep scene for 18+ years, is that your mounting brackets look prone to bending without a tie-in to the underside of the unibody frame rail. Even a light front recovery may tweak the entire assembly forward and upward. A supplemental tie-in should be relatively easy to retrofit.

EDIT: Never mind...I see you're also tied into the bumper support bracket (originally, I though you were just bolting to the "horns" on the front of the unibody frame).

Again, nice job with a home-brew solution in a gaping market void.

Craig

·
Registered
138 Posts
I think I'm going to have to do the DIY build myself. I already have a couple sticks of 2.5" round DOM tubing in the garage, so I'd have very little into materials...and I love to design/weld. :)

Thanks again for the detail photo references, 2015motocamper.

Craig

·
Registered
18 Posts
It looks like it blocks airflow thru the lower open? Is that a 3.5L?
I guess the new bumper blocks some airflow to the lower portion of the radiator. However, there is enough room under there for good airflow to the entire radiator. I did not notice any change in engine temps. And I'm in Phopenix, Arizona. In the summer. We hit 112 degrees last week.

The Van Compass bumber completely replaces the stock Ford, flimsy sheet metal front bumper.

Yes, I have the 3.5L EcoBoost.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I guess the new bumper blocks some airflow to the lower portion of the radiator. However, there is enough room under there for good airflow to the entire radiator.
The concern isn't airflow to the radiator which has a lot of surface area. I agree that "there is enough room under there for good airflow to the entire radiator".

The concern is that it looks like it's blocking off most of the airflow to the intercooler.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The concern is that it looks like it's blocking off most of the airflow to the intercooler.
You got me concerned. So I looked under the hitch. Yes, there is some blockage of air to the intercooler. But there is also plenty room for airflow that I am not concerned about airflow blockage. Additionally, I think the hitch is protecting the intercooler from potential damage. I took a couple of photos to better show the space behind the hitch.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Yes, there is some blockage of air to the intercooler. But there is also plenty room for airflow that I am not concerned about airflow blockage. Additionally, I think the hitch is protecting the intercooler from potential damage.
yeah - that looks like a useful intercooler guard. Thanks for the photo. Someone here reported they trashed their intercooler on a rock. If it is a tradeoff, that could be a worthwhile tradeoff. I would have been happier if they made the two small middle horizontal slots into the larger oval holes like the other four holes. I assume they thought receiver reinforcement was more important.

Like you say, the hitch is decreasing airflow to the intercooler. Is it significant? No idea. If it is, you'll have decreased peak power which you may only notice with extreme use such as if you're heavily loaded or towing up mountains. I assume they knew what the tradeoffs were and didn't think the decreased airflow was significant.

The intercooler isn't as important as the radiator which is essential.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you very much! The end bracket details are great. On the front view of the receiver (looking down at floor), what are the Y-angled angles all about? They don't seem to be on the final version as bolted on.

I hope you don't mind - I enhanced the photos a bit and assembled your posts into a PDF for printing. File ttached.
Thank you for the PDF. I will be looking for a fab shop to build one for me.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
@moreirce The Van Compass hitch is well built and high on utility. But it seems to be lower than the OEM bumper it replaces. Is that a problem for the crash and crumple design that protects driver and passenger? Only a crash test engineering study can make that determination. I like the front hitch solutions that leave the oem bumper intact, either the @2015motocamper version we’re admiring here or the Blue Ox BX2655 baseplate. Just my POV.
@Myriad Until someone posts a dimensioned drawing or CAD file, I think your fabricator may need to disassemble the front body first to get accurate measurements for fabrication-to-fit. Good luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Like you say, the hitch is decreasing airflow to the intercooler. Is it significant? No idea. If it is, you'll have decreased peak power which you may only notice with extreme use such as if you're heavily loaded or towing up mountains. I assume they knew what the tradeoffs were and didn't think the decreased airflow was significant.
I did not say the Van Compass hitch decreased airflow. I said there is some blockage of air to the intercooler, but there is pleanty of room back there. Aerodynamics can be tricky and decieving. It is POSSIBLE there is INCREASED airflow with this design. Regardless, of increased or even decreased airflow, I think there is suffiecent room behind the hitch to allow ENOUGH airflow to not be a concern or have any noticeable effect on performance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
@moreirce The Van Compass hitch is well built and high on utility. But it seems to be lower than the OEM bumper it replaces. Is that a problem for the crash and crumple design that protects driver and passenger? Only a crash test engineering study can make that determination.
Yes, I understand your concern about crash testing. But, the Ford bumper is 1/16" folded, spot welded plate steel that I could easily lift with a one hand or even a few fingers. I was surprised how light it was. It felt flimsy. The Van Compass hitch is 1/4" rod welded plate steel, that I needed both arms to lift. It was surprisingly heavy. It felt very solid.

Years ago I owned a 1986 Ford E150. It had solid steel bumpers. The heavy, quality bumpers of those days could take an impact with no damage. Today's plastic and tin foil bumpers seem like a joke in comparison, and will bend on even 5mph impacts.

In a severe accident, I would gladly choose a heavy steel bumper over a light weight crash tested steel bumper. I think a heavy steel bumper would help to better protect the vehicle and passengers better than any flimsy bumper ever could.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yes, I understand your concern about crash testing. But, the Ford bumper is 1/16" folded, spot welded plate steel that I could easily lift with a one hand or even a few fingers. I was surprised how light it was. It felt flimsy. The Van Compass hitch is 1/4" rod welded plate steel, that I needed both arms to lift. It was surprisingly heavy. It felt very solid.

Years ago I owned a 1986 Ford E150. It had solid steel bumpers. The heavy, quality bumpers of those days could take an impact with no damage. Today's plastic and tin foil bumpers seem like a joke in comparison, and will bend on even 5mph impacts.

In a severe accident, I would gladly choose a heavy steel bumper over a light weight crash tested steel bumper. I think a heavy steel bumper would help to better protect the vehicle and passengers better than any flimsy bumper ever could.
Heavy steel might be good for the vehicle resisting damage in a crash but is not in the best interest of the occupants. Designing the vehicle to compress and absorb will help the occupants.

Same reason helmets have foam inside, it is designed to compress and slow the rate of deceleration. It sacrifices its self for the well being of the user.

Here is a video of a 2009 vs a 1959 vehicle.

https://youtu.be/fPF4fBGNK0U

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
There you have it. Today's "paper-mache" >snerk< versus yesterday's SmashedlikeaRoach Coach.

Can't use "gas-guzzling" for a pejorative adjective, though. Never ceases to annoy me that my new short low 2017 Transit gets the same mileage as my junkyard 1964 Dodge van did in 1974 with 85,000 miles on its dubious odometer. But I digress.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Heavy steel might be good for the vehicle resisting damage in a crash but is not in the best interest of the occupants. Designing the vehicle to compress and absorb will help the occupants.

Same reason helmets have foam inside, it is designed to compress and slow the rate of deceleration. It sacrifices its self for the well being of the user.

Here is a video of a 2009 vs a 1959 vehicle.

https://youtu.be/fPF4fBGNK0U
I watched the video. And carefully thought about this answer.

1st, there was no crash testing on vehicles in 1959. No seat belts or airbags either. To compare a modern vehicle with all the safety systems and crash testing to 1950's or 1960's vehicle is not a fair comparison.

2nd, a fairer comparison would be a 1980's or 1990's vehicle with heavy steel bumpers vs. a 2010's vehicle with flimsy plastic bumpers. In this comparison, both vehicles have seat belts and airbags and were extensively crash tested. I have no doubts the 1990's vehicle AND occupants would fair way better.

3rd, helmets are made to be light weight. The foam sure helps in this regard. And yes, it helps to compress and slow the rate of deceleration. The plastic exterior is made to take the impact. Like a bumper. I would guess helmets would be safer with a thicker steel outer shell. But that would add too much weight to be practical.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes, what moreirce said. I watched and reached the same conclusion; the video is not an apples-to-apples comparison for the purpose of this comparison.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts