Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen or heard of a front mounted hitch receiver for the transit?
Has anyone had a custom job built?

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Ya, you could bolt on one of these bumpers ;) and get the optional receiver hitch. That's what I'm doing less the bull bar.

We'd sure like to know how that baby attaches... coming from the 'front tow hook' thread.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Since it replaces the entire OEM bumper there are easy ways to attach it...the catch is trying to get something to work with the factory bumper.
I like the Aluminess but there is absolutely no way I'm spending $2,150 plus shipping on a bumper!

Especially since I bought a similar aluminum winch bumper for my Toyota FJC for well under $1000 including shipping! Hopefully some other manufacturers will step up with something reasonably priced.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Since it replaces the entire OEM bumper there are easy ways to attach it...the catch is trying to get something to work with the factory bumper...
Ah, that makes sense.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Has anyone seen or heard of a front mounted hitch receiver for the transit?
Has anyone had a custom job built?
I’ve been casually looking on Amazon and found generic flat-mount hitch receivers that I’m considering for the front step-plate inside the front bumper.

I must say that I need to crawl under the bumper to see what that step-plate is attached to. If it’s only the plastic bumper, then it’s a deal-breaker.

I hope to use it as a receiver for a lightweight bike rack or maybe even an emergency front pull point for a little help getting unstuck from soft sand with a GENTLE pull from another vehicle.

Also found short tow straps which might also work. Maybe two of the straps, and just two holes in the front step-plate.

And also found a Curt rear receiver that fits my Transit. For a bike rack or perhaps the occasional small U-haul trailer, hopefully using U-haul’s own 4-pin wiring harness.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Front tow hitch receiver

The only source for a front tow hitch receiver that I’ve been able to locate so far is this one from UK:
watling-towbars.co.uk

There are two versions, a lighter duty and a heavy duty one.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I’ve been casually looking on Amazon and found generic flat-mount hitch receivers that I’m considering for the front step-plate inside the front bumper.

I must say that I need to crawl under the bumper to see what that step-plate is attached to. If it’s only the plastic bumper, then it’s a deal-breaker.

I hope to use it as a receiver for a lightweight bike rack or maybe even an emergency front pull point for a little help getting unstuck from soft sand with a GENTLE pull from another vehicle.

Also found short tow straps which might also work. Maybe two of the straps, and just two holes in the front step-plate.

And also found a Curt rear receiver that fits my Transit. For a bike rack or perhaps the occasional small U-haul trailer, hopefully using U-haul’s own 4-pin wiring harness.

My thoughts exactly. A bumper mount hitch in the step plate. I crawled under there, and there is a sturdy metal piece that spans between the ends of the frame. It's strong enough to stand on, so It should hold 50lbs worth of bikes, or be a fine base for a step bumper.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
My thoughts exactly. A bumper mount hitch in the step plate. I crawled under there, and there is a sturdy metal piece that spans between the ends of the frame. It's strong enough to stand on, so It should hold 50lbs worth of bikes, or be a fine base for a step bumper.
Not me, from a guy on the facebook transit usa fb page:

So I wanted to put my bikes on the front to keep the back doors easily assessable and also I tow boats so its just way better all around. THey dont make a front hitch. I got under it and decided I could put a universal bumper hitch in the bumper step. I had to make a 90 degree bracket to attach to cross member to make it more stable. I cut out the plastic and drilled the front holes. Bolted it in. Pretty tight but bumper metal is only 4" so it flexed a bit. I through together a bracket with aluminum I had. Bolted it to the back holes of the universal hitch. I drilled the top and put a sheet metal screw in. I stuck a pipe in the hitch and that baby did not budge. I put a lot more pressure than the bike rack would. I go to drill the last hole. I cant get the regular drill in so I grab my 90 degree dewalt I used for the front holes(had to cut a bit down to fit in the front). I get it in and knew I had to be careful because it was more powerful and I didnt want to go too far and hit AC condenser above the crossmember. I was being careful but the son of a bitch caught and sucked in so fast I couldnt react. Hit the condensor and out came oil(green). Im ldisgusted. Condenser will be in tomorrow. My friend will install it. Most expensive $35 hitch ever.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/472339682915770/search/?query=hip%20fish

not sure if the photo link worked? 8 photo's, this is 1 of them:

https://scontent.fmem1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20228845_833807050127543_2740314031147947326_n.jpg?oh=203aabadff9fd80808d63e97fc388124&oe=5A71E64D

his last post on the front hitch:

All buttoned up...condenser fixed. Go to put the bike rack on and there was so much weight the whole thing was ready to crumple before I even let all the pressure off with the ONE bike. I could beef up the support but its attached to the radiator cross member and I'm afraid a good bump would crumble the cross member and destroy the radiator and condenser. $450 screw up. Putting my rod holder in it for now. Back to the drawing board. Epic failure. Im not used to my ideas not working. Sucks.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Not me, from a guy on the facebook transit usa fb page:

So I wanted to put my bikes on the front to keep the back doors easily assessable and also I tow boats so its just way better all around. THey dont make a front hitch. I got under it and decided I could put a universal bumper hitch in the bumper step... I was being careful but the son of a bitch caught and sucked in so fast I couldnt react. Hit the condensor and out came oil(green). Im ldisgusted. Condenser will be in tomorrow. My friend will install it. Most expensive $35 hitch ever.
... Go to put the bike rack on and there was so much weight the whole thing was ready to crumple before I even let all the pressure off with the ONE bike. I could beef up the support but its attached to the radiator cross member and I'm afraid a good bump would crumble the cross member and destroy the radiator and condenser. $450 screw up. Putting my rod holder in it for now. Back to the drawing board. Epic failure. Im not used to my ideas not working. Sucks.
Ouch, a hard lesson. Good for us to be able to learn from his mistakes.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I've had this project in mind for 3 years. I''m still figuring.

When I had the manifolds done, they had to put it up on the lift and I asked to look. (I should have taken pictures, but to be truthful, snapshots of such are usually only meaningful to the taker) Anyway, I didn't like what I saw.

Yeah, there are attachment points but for really solid attachment, it looks to me like you need to tie in the subframe. My engineering limitations nixed that notion.

But... and it's a convoluted tale, I've settled on a plan.

One of the early threads on this topic, had the OPer's photos of where a shop installed 2 hitch receivers on the metal innards of the bumper. (After I write this, I'll go back and find it. I have some good photos from that thread.) I was sold on that plan (or at least what I thought I understood of that thread) until I saw the local dealer's courtesy van wrecked. I went up and checked and the metal on that bumper support thingy was so thin. I couldn't see any way to stub weld that with any strength. But, after talking to two shops, I understood 2 things.

One, my local trailer general welding shop could do whatever I wanted and probably at a reasonable price and probably do it better than I can. But, they got no engineering ideas or thoughts. Second, happened last week when I went back to the local dealer for an estimate on my deer strike. We're chewing the fat and I asked him flat out how much he'd charge me for a front receiver. He said, "it ain't going to happen. Without a kit, we'd be a fool to design something." So, I told him about the plan I had seen with 2 receivers and about how I saw the wrecked Transit (right outside his shop) last year and so on... Then he said something that made sense. he said, yeah a butt weld on that would be for only light duty. But, the end is but a cover of a square tube. Not that we could do that." Ah, I'm betting the original plan wasn't a butt weld!

So now, this winter, I'm going back to my trailer shop and have them put two receivers or two square tubes coming out the front bumper tubes.

(I'll look for that thread. There are some good photos in it.)

The original thread had photobucket photos that are missing. Here are two that I downloaded from that thread.

·
Registered
1 Posts
anyone have any updates to the front mount receiver? I would really like one myself but I dont really want and full new bumper.

thanks!

·
Registered
61 Posts
anyone have any updates to the front mount receiver? I would really like one myself but I dont really want and full new bumper.

thanks!

Van compass posted an Instagram story last week of a hidden hitch mount with tow hooks and winch.

No timeline or pricing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
The Van Compass solution is real and available. I have no first-hand experience yet, but hope to in a few months:

I apparently can't post links yet, so go to Van Compass dot com, Shop, Transit 2015+, then VAN COMPASS FORD TRANSIT WINCH MOUNT AND FRONT RECEIVER HITCH

Yes, you get the winch mount whether you want it or not, but it's the only one I've found.

On the bright side they have some nice tow hooks that integrate with the winch/receiver hitch solution, and they may be coming out with a good brush bar that will bolt onto the receiver hitch!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts