Ford Transit USA Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2021 EXT HR Adventure Build in Progress
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Looking forward to your build, very awesome tribute. Are you going to incorporate some 924 design concepts to really put it together with it's inspiration?
I am trying to figure out how honor her spirit in the van. The obvious idea would to start with the license plate. But if it said Bobby people would think it is my name. On the other hand, it could be worth it just to mess with my neighbor. The guy has said "Hi Steve" to me EVERY DAY for 3 years. I stopped telling him my name was Pete 2 years ago.

Ok guys lmk anytime you’re around and I’ll gladly serve cold refreshments!:)
I am about to loose almost 20 hours a week to a 3 month EMT class. That plus 50/50 custody and a GF doesn't leave much time! BUT I would like to make it happen. I am sure between our vans and outdoor hobbies we would have a lot to talk about.

There is aftermarket cruise control. Not adaptive, but better than nothing.

What a bummer. Hard to believe basic cruise control isn't standard.
Its funny because that is exactly how I felt when I realized I didn't get cruise control either... Luckily the Rostra doesn't seem too hard to add, I don't see why the cover wouldn't be easy enough to fit back into place.
Yeah, I guess aftermarket will be my backup plan if I can't take the pain in my wallet!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ahhh, cruise control. I would have forgotten it too! I haven't used cruise control for a couple of years. I just like driving better without it.

Auntie Bobby sounds awesome! I am 75 and if she were still alive I would definitely want to be her friend:) Did she use cruise control?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The "reserved post" thing that I tried an abandoned was a bad idea for several reasons. One of which is that I don't think thread followers will get notified when I add a post up there. So here's a notification: I added to one the the first posts above - Van Design and Layout

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Your van is officially a million miles long 😄

Interesting to me is that it looks like they have changed the Flatline brackets for the Version 2.0 rack. They do mention sturdier brackets, but then the usable width is listed as the same so I hadn't realized they had changed the shape overall.

Since the 2.0 rack has the same usable inner width, I kind of like how the older brackets had the full "roof pad" under the cantilevered part, but then it's not like I've analyzed them both in person. It looks like on the new one they did bend out the cutout "tab" to the outside but not a full pad.

Anyway, interesting to see it up close. The front of the rack with the fairing shape looks a lot better than version 1.0 to my eye.

Bracket on 1.0 FVCO rack:

Wood Automotive exterior Rectangle Composite material Beam

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
AMA Window Install

To maximize the views, I ordered 6 AMA windows for my van.

Plant Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive tire
Motor vehicle Mode of transport Vehicle Automotive exterior Gas

Automotive lighting Vehicle Window Bus Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Sky

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side-view mirror Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Smile

I HIGHLY recommend an automatic caulking gun (will be returned hehe) and suction cups.

Pneumatic tool Handheld power drill Musical instrument Guitar accessory Musical instrument accessory

Other tips:
  • Watch this van windows direct install video
  • Cut off the internal window supports with a grinder so you don't have to saw through two layers of steel
  • Sometimes, it's easier to cut from the outside. In that case, just drill some holes every inch or so from the inside so you have a template to follow on the outside
  • The the jigsaw blade pops on ya, time to change it
  • Dry fit
  • Dry fit
  • Apply the urethane primer mid-way up on a vertical section first in case it drips
  • Use an automatic gun, trust me
  • Every window will require more than one tube of adhesive, so have a second on deck and ready to go
Nobody will notice inconsistent gaps between your windows or if it is a little off. Except you, you will never un-see it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I learned the hard way that Van Windows Direct sent me two middle driver-side windows. Of course, it was the ONE window that I didn't dry fit. In our defense, during the install my neighbor informed us that a bear was a block away walking up towards my house.

Sky Blue Window Shade Morning
Sky Shade Tints and shades Tree Vehicle door

I called VWD and the owner was super cool about it. I explained that when I received the windows, these were the only two unmarked ones. I asked them how to verify that they were correct and he said "see if they fit". I did that for the driver side so I assume that the other one was correct. Again, should have dry-fitted it.

Fortunately the window came off pretty easy. I used fishing line to separate the urethane from the van while my van wife caught the falling bits. Then I used a razor blade and rubbing alcohol to finish the job.

Motor vehicle Window Smile Vehicle Mode of transport
Plant Water Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
My build took a back seat while I was pursuing my EMT certification - final exam tomorrow!

I ordered, returned and reordered actuators for my bed raising system. (I didn't account for the height of the brackets so my lowest height setting was too high.)

Light Product Ac adapter Audio equipment Adapter

Also ordered a bunch of 15 series extrusions and connectors for the bed & garage cabinets. I gave up trying to figure out exactly how much I would need and just over-ordered. Leftovers will go towards the galley.

I am halfway done with my NW Conversions grey water tank. I bench tested and then installed the KUS sender. This morning I hung the tank from the supplied brackets. Next will be the solenoid and gate valve dumps & S-Trap.

Light Automotive tire Engineering Aviation Gas

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Oh yeah, had a major fail a couple of weeks ago. My awning crashed down from the roof during install and scraped my van on the way.

I made the mistake of not reinstalling my safety ropes or waiting for a helper when I noticed a final alignment was needed. Fortunately I grabbed a hold of the roof rack in time to miss falling down with it.

Schadenfreude lovers can rewatch it unfold on my nest camera 😂

Automotive tire Asphalt Road surface Bumper Automotive exterior

My neighbor heard the crash and came over for moral support. Actually more than that, he helped me bend all the parts back. Fiamma USA was super friendly and sent me an end cap with a discount right away.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts