Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Next step: Where to locate this beast in the van and how to configure my electrical wiring around it?

I want to run 12V power to a few points in the van for powering MaxXair fan, some USB ports, and small appliances like 12V fridge,12V water pump, some lights.

How should I go about this? ELI5 (Explain to me Like I’m 5). Do I want to have a breaker/distribution box centrally located and run individual outlets distributed around the van?

Boat Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Fixture

Thanks!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Please don't skip the steps:

1.a - Go to the store in the paint section and buy some of that green painters tape. Get the roll that is about 2 inches wide.

1.b - Cut off a piece that is ~ 3 inches long.

1.c - Put it on the wall of the van

1.d - Use a pen to write - 120 vac outlet . Repeat 3 times

1.e - use a similar size piece of tape and put it on the wall

1.f - Use a pen to write - 12 volt outlet - repeat 5 times

1.g - Do the same thing for some USB outlets

___

When you have completed this, you are ready to start thinking about buying parts - but not yet
Your right :) Excited to get started. I'll be working on the circuit design and layout this week since I got the rest of the week off.

Was hoping to get some stuff on order to get ahead of the Holiday shopping (and shipping) season. Like ordering wire, connectors, crimp tool and Fuse block.

Plan right now is only running 12V stuff around the van. I do need to plan for recharging my Bluetti with Solar, Shore Power, & from the Van battery system. I'm still trying to figure out how I can charge directly from the CCP.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"When you have completed this, have a nap during milk-and-cookie time." That's legit ELI5. Don't go leaving those parts out. 🍪

It's not critical, but locations might do well to take into account:
1- what route are you /likely/ to take for everything you'll wire into it
2- what enclosure or other stuff (cabinet, fridge, bed, toilet, galley, etc) might go where (the tape thing)
3- will the location you have in mind make charging it or maintaining it more difficult?

Example: place it right behind the driver's seat (access to charging is best), then run wires down the driver's side, up and over the rear door, then back along the passenger's side to a fridge mounted by the slider and you've got some serious voltage issues when the fridge compressor turns on. Yeah... not ELI5... but if it doesn't register in the back of the brain for later purposes then have another cookie and go back to sleep. 😄

Alternatively, just strap it to the wall for now and use extension cords and stuff until you build out more.
This all makes sense. I’m an engineer but not an EE, which makes me dangerous. I have EE friends but they don’t own a van!

One method of my learning is to throw ideas against the wall to see what echos off best. Forums can be good for that.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Anyway - back to the OP's thread.

By the time you purchase the low end tools for doing beginner level crimping, it might make sense to find someone local who has pro level tools and parts.

They can show you how to do it - maybe work with you to do some of it yourself.

There are marine electricians all over the place.
Appreciate the advice. In this case I got the know how (well novice level) and don’t mind investing a little in the tools. Van build is intended as a hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Have definitely learned a lot the last couple of days thanks to this forum thread and other sources.

Question: The one item I can't figure out is how to charge directly from CCP for faster charging when the van is running. Wish there was a simple documented solution for this.

Charging via the 12V cigarette port isn’t ideal as the provided 12V charging cord is too short for placing the Bluetti about mid van as shown below

Motor vehicle Vehicle Head restraint Automotive design Mode of transport

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
My favorite video for connecting the Bluetti to a 12v fuse panel in the van for absolute beginners (like me) is from Jonnie's Journey.

I did this on my van and so far it works fine. The hardest part was ordering the 25A plug for the Bluetti, it took months for it to come available.

If you don't want to buy from Amazon, go direct to the manufacturer's website. BlueSea lets you order direct, as do other companies.
Thanks, great video.

Just to confirm, what part # is he correct 25Amp plug I want to get? A bit confusing from the vid. She has several links. I think it’s the SA20?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Connect an inverter to the CCP. Use the 120VAC from the inverter to charge the Bluetti, using the Bluetti supplied power brick. This is the simplest and easiest way to charge the Bluetti at a reasonable rate. It also provides electrical isolation between the Van 12V system and the Bluetti 12V system.,
This is the plan, was just waiting for someone else to confirm it. Ordered a 1400watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter for this.

Question, do I need a breaker between the CCP and inverter? Do I need one between the inverter and the Bluetti?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Ok gang, a little help: Which one of these is the ground between the seats? Or do I need to remove this panel to get to it?

Hood Automotive exterior Laptop accessory Automotive wheel system Auto part

I did check with a Voltmeter and both points seem to work, as does the D-ring bolt pictured below. But obviouslythe ground point per the BEMM is what I want. The BEMM is vague!

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Vehicle door

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
After some prying and swearing, I took that lower panel off and found what looks like the ground in the lower right of pic.

broje a little bit of plastic off that panel as it is stubbornly tucked under the seat pedestals…

Motor vehicle Automotive design Car Automotive exterior Personal luxury car

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Ram a test, everything works out including charging the Bluetti exactly as I hoped. Power out of Inverter says 500W, power into Bluetti about 464-480W.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior

Gadget Font Plant Display device Gas

I disassembled it and will work on mounting the inverter and adding a breaker between CCP2 and your inverter next week.

I will need some sort of bracket for mounting the inverter and longer positive & negative cables. Since these are heavier gauge, I’ll have them made.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
1 - 16 of 16 Posts