Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
It is essentially the same task as any other van electrical system,

Step 1 is to take some masking tape and put a piece on the wall / ceiling in any where that you want the fuse block, 12 volt, USB, or 120 vac outlets.

Step 2 is to screw these items to the wall. Even if you are going to move them slightly later, it makes sense to fasten them down to the extent possible.

Step 3 is to run the wires.

Step 4 is to do all of the crimping / terminations of ring lugs, splices, etc.

It can be done in a weekend if you partner up with someone who has the tools and bulk of the parts

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
Slow down, remember the ELI5 part! :)

Blue Sea fuse block, recommend me one? I'm thinking this one:

As for wires, what gage, brand is recommended? Other?
Please don't skip the steps:

1.a - Go to the store in the paint section and buy some of that green painters tape. Get the roll that is about 2 inches wide.

1.b - Cut off a piece that is ~ 3 inches long.

1.c - Put it on the wall of the van

1.d - Use a pen to write - 120 vac outlet . Repeat 3 times

1.e - use a similar size piece of tape and put it on the wall

1.f - Use a pen to write - 12 volt outlet - repeat 5 times

1.g - Do the same thing for some USB outlets

___

When you have completed this, you are ready to start thinking about buying parts - but not yet

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
The number one thing I would change if I could start over is the long runs around the perimeter. I would instead run across the middle—above, below, or through the floor as appropriate.
That is why I try to convince people to build 24 volt systems.

Put one 12 volt distribution / converter on each side of the van, near where the 12 volt is needed.

One wire pair from the 24 volt batteries to each 12 volt distribution box.

Run a few sort runs from the local distribution box to the point of use loads. Finished with electrical.

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
I reecognize there are advantages to a 24V system but I'm not sure that this is an inherent advantage of a 24V system. Mine will be 12V and I will have a fused distribution panel on each side of the van. Yes, the wire from the battery to the panels will need to be a bit larger for 12V, but in my layout, those runs will be pretty short. No need for 2 converters. (... although it seems a small regulator will be needed anyway for the Maxair fan 🤷‍♀️).
Yes - It doesn't take all that long before a system needs solar + battery to battery charger + 12 volt voltage regulator.

At that point, the actual battery voltage starts to become less important.

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
Anyway - back to the OP's thread.

By the time you purchase the low end tools for doing beginner level crimping, it might make sense to find someone local who has pro level tools and parts.

They can show you how to do it - maybe work with you to do some of it yourself.

There are marine electricians all over the place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts