Ford Transit USA Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
looks good. i cant exactly tell, is the box surfaced mounted or is the box recessed into the plywood? which size box was that?
The box is 9.8"x5.9"x3.9".

I'm currently installing cabinets. I should be ready to connect up the AC wiring next week. I was going to install the box inside the lower wall cavity but most likely I will install the box inside the bench seat on the driver side, near the rear wheel well. I still need to make a final decision on the location. I will post a picture of the installation.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Do you have any pics of how you installed it? I kept coming back to that box but was wondering if it would work or not. Did you dismantle the 30 amp breaker and put it into that box or did you leave the panel intact and just use the back cover?
No, I ordered the breaker and a box because I wanted a breaker in a box. What you ordered is a wall mount breaker panel for use on the wall of some kind of enclosure like Ridingtheroadsandtrails has.
To use my linked box you will have to disassemble your wall mount plate and reinstall everything in the box, The box already has places for the two Led to go.
The instruction Pdf shows how your circuit breaker installs in the box.

·
Registered
...shopping
306 Posts
Can you explain the recommendation for this. I'm curious. I havent started to wire anything up yet and would be easy to add now.
It is a whole-house surge suppressor, which you really want for those lightning-prone mountain campgrounds. Far cheaper than RV-specific ones, and better spec's. It is just a surge-suppressor--no fancy voltage or frequency monitoring. But your inverter/charger probably does all that stuff. Most of them do NOT do surge-suppression, however, so something like this, combined with your BlueSea 30A breaker is just right.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks, my battery (300ah lithium) is under the van using Hein's under-vehicle battery box. I did this in my Sprinter as well. It frees up space inside and helps to lower the center of gravity a bit.
Ah, yes. I'm debating that as well. I will probably keep mine inside for the first year while I'm in the "not sure of the final layout". On a side note, i just realized I kept coming back to your webpage for the the bike slider build and unaka mounts. I used your ideas for the 1/2 profile 8020 for the unaka mounts to attach. Many thanks for a streamline build.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
It is a whole-house surge suppressor, which you really want for those lightning-prone mountain campgrounds. Far cheaper than RV-specific ones, and better spec's. It is just a surge-suppressor--no fancy voltage or frequency monitoring. But your inverter/charger probably does all that stuff. Most of them do NOT do surge-suppression, however, so something like this, combined with your BlueSea 30A breaker is just right.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll start looking into it. How hard is it to wire in, probably isn't to complicated? We have lots of friends that really only stay at campgrounds for water and bathroom access so i know campgrounds will be in use sometimes.

·
Registered
...shopping
306 Posts
How hard is it to wire in,

Just connect three wires: Line, Neutral, Ground. There are actually TWO "Line" wires, since the device can protect both phases in a residential situation. You only need one for 30 amp RV service. This means that you have a "spare" if it ever takes a hit.

Technically, you are supposed to put a breaker in series with Line, but since it is surrounded by breakers in a shore-power configuration, I didn't worry about it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

Just connect three wires: Line, Neutral, Ground. There are actually TWO "Line" wires, since the device can protect both phases in a residential situation. You only need one for 30 amp RV service. This means that you have a "spare" if it ever takes a hit.

Technically, you are supposed to put a breaker in series with Line, but since it is surrounded by breakers in a shore-power configuration, I didn't worry about it.
did you install this before or after the 30 amp main panel and does that matter?

·
Registered
...shopping
306 Posts
did you install this before or after the 30 amp main panel and does that matter?
I honestly don't remember for sure, but IIRC it was immediately after the BlueSea breaker and before the main AC distribution panel. Both the BlueSea breaker and the Leviton device are as close as practical to the shore power inlet port.

·
Registered
100 Posts
While you are at it, consider putting one of these next to it:

View attachment 165308

They make a good pair.
Might not be necessary. If your shore-power goes to an inverter with an automatic transfer switch, and all your AC outlets/devices run off the output of the inverter, then the inverter will act like a fancy surge protector (and brown-out protection too).

·
Registered
...shopping
306 Posts
Might not be necessary. If your shore-power goes to an inverter with an automatic transfer switch, and all your AC outlets/devices run off the output of the inverter, then the inverter will act like a fancy surge protector (and brown-out protection too).
What is protecting the inverter/charger? As I said, many do not have surge suppression -- even those that otherwise have very thorough power quality analysis.

In the scenario you describe, an inverter without surge suppression would pass surges through the transfer switch.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts