Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a blue print of the roof of a Transit crew cab, high roof long van for a design of a roof rack. Seems like a very hard thing to find or maybe I should say, I've been looking in all the wrong places.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm looking for a blue print of the roof of a Transit crew cab, high roof long van for a design of a roof rack. Seems like a very hard thing to find or maybe I should say, I've been looking in all the wrong places.
I used this layout from Hein at DIYvan. Build in adjustability as the holes are not always in alignment.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 3.5L EB 148 Highroof Extended
48 Posts
Here's a link to my website for the rack/layout that I found to work well.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a link to my website for the rack/layout that I found to work well.

Nice write up. From the Transit Owners manual.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for pointing that out. Looks like I should update my page. I'm not too worried since solar panels are pretty light but it has me wondering about contractor applications. I could see pipes, ladders, wood...etc adding up to 200lbs pretty easily.
Probably has more to do about center of gravity and meeting all of their performance specs, than structure.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for pointing that out. Looks like I should update my page. I'm not too worried since solar panels are pretty light but it has me wondering about contractor applications. I could see pipes, ladders, wood...etc adding up to 200lbs pretty easily.
That could be the reason so many of them drive the vans with the low roofs. I don't plan on carrying anything on a regular basis. I think I can get 400 watts of solar and a small observation deck.

·
Registered
105 Posts
This is a HR Extended:

·
Registered
2019 HR Cargo Oxford White 148 wb 3.7L
158 Posts
Nice write up. From the Transit Owners manual.
View attachment 145403
Thanks for posting the info on roof loading. 2019 Owners manual had no info for roof loading, The BEMM lists the top value only. so that's what I have been using. So if I want to drive the Nürburgring at the limit, 220 lb. is the max. for my high roof.

Body and Equipment Mounting Manual
FORD TRANSIT 2020
Date of Publication: 03/2020

5.12.2 Roof Racks and Load Carriers

Load not to exceed 79.3kg (175lbs) at individual
attachment points for local durability.

• Load not to exceed 190kg (420lbs) total for
roof structure durability.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts