Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some of you have installed the Blue Ox Bypass switch to control the interior lights of the Transit.

After you connected the Blue Ox to fuse panel ( Fuse # 32??), exactly where did you mount the ON/OFF Switch. On the removable panel to access the fuses? Or somewhere else on the dash board? What kind and size of drill bit was used for the mounting hole?

Appreciate your help!!

· Registered
29 Posts
I didn't use a blue ox but created my own version of the same thing for cheaper. Mounted it on the removable access panel. The switch had a little depth to it so I just looked for an area that was recessed behind the panel. Mounted it to the bottom left of the panel, just to the right of the light for my alarm.

· Registered
1,591 Posts
I put my switch here:

Attachments

Reactions: star gazer

· Registered
87 Posts
Im leaning towards this solution. Any reason you couldn't extend the cable a bit and put it further aft?

· Registered
87 Posts
If you use a thick enough wire you could put it anywhere.
I'll have to do some planning and research about that. Another idea I had was to make an extension cable with the same connectors near the sliding door and an inline switch. That way any warranty claims I could plug it back in as normal. Doesn't help with the rear doors, but I did t seem to use those much during my dry run this year.

· Registered
2,396 Posts
I'll have to do some planning and research about that. Another idea I had was to make an extension cable with the same connectors near the sliding door and an inline switch. That way any warranty claims I could plug it back in as normal. Doesn't help with the rear doors, but I did t seem to use those much during my dry run this year.
If you plan to to do that you should go about 3 brain cells further and build your own bybass switch from scratch. They are really proud of those things considering its a 5 minute job with $5 in materials to build one. If you want two or more places to kill the lights just run multiple switches in series.

· Registered
213 Posts
If you plan to to do that you should go about 3 brain cells further and build your own bybass switch from scratch. They are really proud of those things considering its a 5 minute job with $5 in materials to build one. If you want two or more places to kill the lights just run multiple switches in series.
I'd like to do this but do not have any idea where to get the parts. Could you share your source?

· Registered
2,396 Posts
Try the first auto parts store you see. It's a fuse holder, an spst switch, two male spade lugs, two butt spices (if you can't solder), and a couple feet of wire. Maybe add two female spade lugs if the switch accommodates them and some heat shrink if you want it sexed up. For tools all you need is a pair of clam bumpers and a crimper.

· Registered
2,286 Posts
For tools all you need is a pair of clam bumpers and a crimper.

Crimper I got- what the devil is a clam bumper?

I googled it and according to the urban dictionary that is even more of a puzzler- seems like one would do it, certainly don't see the need for a PAIR of them:D

· Registered
1,591 Posts
So whats the advantage of a fuse switch over just installing some inline switches?
Easier, quicker, won't have a possible warranty issue from messing with the wiring. Can remove the BlueOx and all is normal again except for a hole in the dash. Put a sticker or placard over it and nobody will know.

Reactions: hatchet

· Registered
2,396 Posts
What is this thread about again? :D

So whats the advantage of a fuse switch over just installing some inline switches?

Also, anyone else have LEDs that constantly have a small amount of juice when theyre "off" - resulting in dim illumination all the time?
Normal. There's a TSB on it. Basically stating "they do that."

"2015 Transit – Interior High Intensity LED Cargo Lamps May Emit A Low Glow When They Should Be Off – Built On Or Before 4/22/2015

Some 2015 Transit vehicles built on or before 4/22/2015 and equipped with LED Cargo Lamps may exhibit a slight glow of the LED cargo lamps when they should be off.

Do not perform diagnostics or replace the Body Control Module in an attempt to resolve this normal condition.

The trace current supporting the glow does not pose any functional issues, and goes away with battery saver activation which takes approximately 30 minutes after the vehicle has been shut off."

· Registered
254 Posts
Normal. There's a TSB on it. Basically stating "they do that."

"2015 Transit – Interior High Intensity LED Cargo Lamps May Emit A Low Glow When They Should Be Off – Built On Or Before 4/22/2015

Some 2015 Transit vehicles built on or before 4/22/2015 and equipped with LED Cargo Lamps may exhibit a slight glow of the LED cargo lamps when they should be off.

Do not perform diagnostics or replace the Body Control Module in an attempt to resolve this normal condition.

The trace current supporting the glow does not pose any functional issues, and goes away with battery saver activation which takes approximately 30 minutes after the vehicle has been shut off."
Aha. Thanks for the info.

Yet another shining example of ford's lackluster engineering. I did a bit of research - its most likely their "switch" thats letting a few milliamps thru in the off position. Good thing they didnt wire in a real spst type switch to control the cargo lights...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.