Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a reliable sensor system out there that anyone has tried? There seem to be a lot of camera systems out there but they seem to involve a lot of dash board gack- and they seem to be open to operator error and limited usefulness at night.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I have found that my camera system which has night vision capability, quite useful. :)

Semper Fi

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the reply!

You don't find the mirrors adequate? I think they're great.
There is no substitute for good SOP- which means checking the mirrors among other things. I just worry in twilight conditions that the driver might miss another vehicle.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
You don't find the mirrors adequate? I think they're great.
Today I was almost side-swiped by someone I didn't see in the mirrors. They decided to try to cut me off as I was merging behind a truck. They came up from my blind spot and were so close that I couldn't even see the side of the door, just the window. I think their mirror must have been an inch or less from my door. A beepy noise warning me of this would have been nice, but it doesn't correct for aggressive, belligerent drivers. I mean, 6 freaking lanes, and they have to cut me off instead of going over a lane and passing the truck, like they did right after I was behind them?! There weren't any other cars.

·
Registered
470 Posts
There is no substitute for good SOP- which means checking the mirrors among other things. I just worry in twilight conditions that the driver might miss another vehicle.
If this is an employee you're talking about, then I can see how you might want additional layers of protection. Even coming from a vehicle with low side/rear visibility it has been an adjustment.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Today I was almost side-swiped by someone I didn't see in the mirrors. They decided to try to cut me off as I was merging behind a truck. They came up from my blind spot and were so close that I couldn't even see the side of the door, just the window. I think their mirror must have been an inch or less from my door. A beepy noise warning me of this would have been nice, but it doesn't correct for aggressive, belligerent drivers. I mean, 6 freaking lanes, and they have to cut me off instead of going over a lane and passing the truck, like they did right after I was behind them?! There weren't any other cars.
Nothing offsets the problems inherent to the human element in driving, except removing that element. I'm cautiously optimistic about autonomous vehicles, largely because of the potential for a wireless close proximity network that would enable vehicles to be aware of other vehicles around them, exchange messages, and react accordingly. Even if human drivers had this communication network available, they wouldn't be quick enough and certainly most wouldn't use it responsibly.

But I digress. This thread was supposed to be about blind spot detection. :)

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
The mirrors are pretty good, plus wiring the rearview's rear camera display to be on when the key is on fills in the gaps. I know absolutely when a vehicle beside me has move past the bumper.

The only blind spot I haven't solved for is looking to the right at an intersection where the van is angled so looking to the right through the passenger window doesn't get the view I need. This is a van with all the glass forward of the B-pillar.

·
Registered
470 Posts
The only blind spot I haven't solved for is looking to the right at an intersection where the van is angled so looking to the right through the passenger window doesn't get the view I need. This is a van with all the glass forward of the B-pillar.
Ditto. I think the only solution would be a camera or convex school bus mirrors.

·
Registered
670 Posts
The mirrors are pretty good, plus wiring the rearview's rear camera display to be on when the key is on fills in the gaps. I know absolutely when a vehicle beside me has move past the bumper.

Dual windowed sliders helps immensely. My first accident in my first car at 17 taught me to always look over my shoulder before changing lanes. Not having 2nd row windows would drive me nuts. The mirrors on the transit are good, but not as good as line of sight plus the mirrors.

I miss being able to see out the rear doors now that my lofted bed is in. I'm going to tackle rewiring the rearview camera into my head unit to alleviate that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts